Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 7500 upgrade-how to connect two printers

7500 upgrade-how to connect two printers
Ishan Bhattacharya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2000, 01:50 AM

I have a 7500 with a G3 card which has a Lexmark Optra+ hooked up to the serial port. In the past, when I also wanted to have an Epson connected, I had to get a switchbox which created lots of problems. I also tried various other software/hardware solutions, including Momentum's products (I don't remember the names) none of which worked well. Since the Epsons now all have USB ports, could I put in an USB PCI card and connect the Epson that way? Would I then be able to simply change printers by going to the Chooser, or would I have to reboot? Any info appreciated. Thanx.

macman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2000, 09:40 AM

You bet! The Keyspan USB cards work best I've heard. Make sure you download the latest USB Card Support software from Apple though, the software on the CD is not necessarily the newest and may crash (I've been there). It works just like normal USB, hot plugable and all.

Jerry
Jun 2, 2000, 09:55 AM

I have installed USB cards on two Power Mac 7500's in my office. One was the Keyspan USB card and the other was just a $19 I/O Magic card from Fry's Electronics. On both cards I just downloaded and installed the latest USB support software form Apple and the cards worked without any problems.

Blakhawkg3
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2000, 06:44 AM

Any USB card that is compliant with the OHCI standards (it usually says it on the box) will work fine. My MacAlly PCI USB card works great with the latest Apple drivers; the only problem is that I have to reach around back to take advantage of the hot-pluggability.
-Blakhawkg3

Forum Links
Forum Rules