Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sound fidelity on new iMacs?

Sound fidelity on new iMacs?
jtm
Oct 16, 1999, 10:46 AM

I was impressed by the Apple's description of the new speakers.

But does the sound live up to the hype?

jtm

marc
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 1999, 07:37 PM

I think the built-in speakers are much better than on the old iMac's. Some think the sound is not as good as can be obtained by adding external speakers to the old systems (which you can still do on the new iMac's). It's a personal thing. Go to a store, if you can, and judge for yourself. Not sure this helps... marc

jtm
Oct 16, 1999, 11:11 PM

I went to the store, but you know how noisy it can be, especially since the new iMac is always attracting a crowd. I guess the attraction of the optional subwoofer and reduced desk clutter (by not having external stereo speakers) has me hoping the built-in speakers are really good. It's not a deal-breaker since I already have one on order. Just impatient for good news, I guess!

jtm

marc
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 1999, 06:55 AM

In that case, I have good news: the H-K speakers in the new iMacs are clearly superior to the speakers in the old machines. That probably helped... marc

Misha
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 1999, 08:03 AM

The new Harmon Kardon speakers are really fantastic... they produce excellent 3D sound. When I first booted the new iMac just the quality of the startup chime was impressive.

Thumbs up to Apple for fixing one of the biggest problems with the original iMac. Now about that mouse...

------------------
Misha Sakellaropoulo
Senior Editor, MacNN
iMac2Day, iBook2Day

PhilB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 1999, 08:17 AM

Misha,

I agree with you on the speakers. Now where is that subwoofer.

As to the mouse...have you tried Kensington's new USB Turboball. I hooked it up right out of the box along with my new DVSE and it has been working great ever since. I missed the old ADB Turbo Mouse but this one seems made for the new iMacs. It comes in a light grey with a dark blue track ball. Fits my iMac great. Of course a graphite model would be even better

Cheers,

Phil

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 1999, 06:00 PM

The new speakers are great I agree but I have noticed that the DVD player software doesn't seem to use the whole dynamic range of the speakers. I hope they fix this problem in the next revision of the DVD software because I want to watch DVD's from more than 5 feet away.

smaffei
Banned
Oct 20, 1999, 09:51 PM

Want to see how good the speakers really
are?

Download the 44KHz 16-Bit Stereo version of the "Star Wars:Episode 1" trailer from Apple. It impressed the hell out of me.

Sam

Forum Links
Forum Rules