Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Best iMac Printer?

Best iMac Printer?
DBursey
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2000, 12:12 PM

Hi Everyone

I would like to solicit opinions as to the best general purpose printer available for use with the iMac.

I have an iMac DV/SE and need a good printer for high quality text, and for reproducing images from a digital camera (which I also plan to purchase). Your comments are appreciated. Thanks!

James Z
Jan 24, 2000, 02:39 PM

I have an Epson 740. I think it's alright and produces decent text and normal output levels, and you can get one for around $200 if you shop around. But for really high quality text and color printouts, you have to spring for very expensive paper, from Epson, and set all the print opitons to quality and slow, etc. It will print stunning, rich, dark text on premium paper, but takes about 5 min per page. It will also print outstanding color prints, the best I have ever seen, but you need thick glossy photo paper (around 12 cents a sheet) at about 15 min a sheet. So here is the verdict: With regular paper and normal time, the results are, at best, okay. But the qualtiy is there, you just have to pay for expensive paper and have a lot of time to waste. Also the print heads are clogged on a daily basis, requiring a cleaning, (which wastes lots of ink and takes about 5 min), ever time I really what something to look nice. HP printers typically don't have the high end of Epson printers, but their normal output is usually faster and more high quality, because they use pigments instead of ink, or vice versa. Also HP printers in the same price range feel better built. But, then again, Epson's 740i matches iMacs and iBooks better than almost any other so-called ice and bondi plastic input device or CD case. I have Labtec speakers a Macally Mouse and Keyboard and a bondi CD tower, and all of them have weird looking excuses for ice and bondi. The Epson, though, would be perfect.

PolarWave
Jan 24, 2000, 04:39 PM

HP and Epson both make great printers, as do others. You might want to consider which is more important, text or images, when you select your printer. The Epson Stylus Photo series which are 6 color printers, are very nice - lots of settings to watch, but beautiful photorealistic output. This series starts around $280 - I think it is the Epson Stylus Photo 750. If you are only occasionally printing images, then the 740 might be the way to go.

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2000, 04:59 PM

I have an Epson 740 running off of a PBG3. I am very happy with it. It's fast enough for what I want to do, and they made it quieter than the previous generation! If you got the 740i to match your iMac i'm sure that would be a good combo.

bluefire 529
Jan 24, 2000, 06:50 PM

I just perchased an Epson Color Stylus 740 for my non-iMac machine. It produces BEAUTIFUL color output on glossy paper. It is slow, but I was not concerned about speed. The price/performance is excellent. I recommend it highly. I have not had any personal experience with the photo series, but I have heard good things about them as well.

MacPhan
Jan 24, 2000, 09:57 PM

I guess I'm preaching to the choir here but I too bought the Epson 740i when I bought my DVSE (last November) It has been an extremely reliable printer with quite good photo reproduction. I think Epson is still offering a $50 rebate too. Check on that.

HTH
Rick

iPaulD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2000, 07:11 AM

Sorry to break the Epson mould.(They are very good.)

We've just received our Hewlett Packard HP970Cxi printer and this is something else!! We bought it mainly to do photographic enlargements and the results are stunning to say the least. This machine is incredibly quite and fast.
Macworld (January 2000 edition)gave it a very good write-up. Check out this printer.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2000, 12:09 PM

Epson 740..Gets the job done!!! although that was complementing my affordable ink jet printer it makes me think......
I think it's disappointing to see how slow printers have advanced compared to the computers that use them. What I mean is a couple of years ago looking through Mac magazines I use to tell myself.... "don't buy a 133Mhz Mac Tower will drop in price and be much faster as soon as technology improves"....convincing myself into waiting and to a right end ......I used to say the same thing about printers..... but I'm still waiting. My marker for this is that I can't find an affordable (affordable) Color Laser Printer. Another marker that I'm watching is how long it's taking printer manufactures to put USB & Firewire printers out on the market. With all respect to Epson and HP and a couple of others , I was refering to Laser Printing. And the size of these things is still comparable to the size of my coffee table!?!? see 5 or so years ago I'm thinking...when I grow up and actually need a laptop I should be able to easily purchase a portable ink jet....I'm thinking ohhh....the size of reynolds wrap aluminum foil box...I mean...even if it's not self powered and you have to plug it in to a wall...at least you don't have to back home to print. I know there are 1 or 2 of them out there somewhere but which company jumped on this possible "portable iPrinter" per say trend when the iBook came out. none, no companies. And I'm sure these businesses well know that when you buy a comp....your bound to buy a printer sooner or later.
So why aren't they on top this, and if they are whats taking them so long.

[This message has been edited by disectamac (edited 01-26-2000).]

Kuzelnik
Jan 27, 2000, 05:03 AM

The Epson 740 or 740i is probably the best printer for you. Both print quickly, good quality and for a very affordable price. I have an iMac DV SE and I recently bought the Epson 900. I wanted something that was a little more "high end" and that worked with Adobe's PressReady software (the 740 isn't supported). I am overwhelmed as to the quality of the prints. I never even installed Epson's driver--only the PressReady Driver-- so I don't know how they compare . . . But I may never even try as the prints I get are **nearly** on par with a Color LaserPrinter.
Highly recommended!!

steve666
Jan 27, 2000, 05:19 PM

I strongly recommend one of the Hps. The 832c is an excellent printer for $199.

The 970 is a fantastic printer if you have $399 to spend, but any of the 800 series will print text better than the Epsons and will be far quieter and more reliable. (I sell both brands and prefer the HPs)..........................

robjmurphy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2000, 06:41 PM

I would like to contribute my 2c worth. I've just bought a Lime iMac DV for my wife and decided to get a decent USB inkjet printer to accompany it. I evaluated several models from Epson & HP and ultimately decided to go with the HP DeskJet 882C.
I think it was a great choice. Text is crisp, graphics are fantastic & photos are awesome. Aside from that it's amazingly quiet, which compliments the fan-less iMac DV no end, and the install and the software are more than adequate.
Previously we had an Apple CSW 2500 Photograde but the HP 882C just blows that away.
My second choice would have been the slightly cheaper 832C but that doesn't have the HP PhotoRetII technology but I imagine would have almost as good for $50 less.
Glad to see HP back on the Mac and making astoundingly good products for it too!

dynamohum
Banned
Jan 27, 2000, 11:13 PM

I use the epson5700i laser, I paid 321.00 before the $50 rebate. Excelent quality and 6000 sheets per toner cart, it is a usb printer and under os9 with vitual pc windows98 it works flawlessly with both quickbooks pro and wordperfect 9...I highly recomend this printer. I bought it from Ewonders.com and was pleasently surprised to get an extra box with a free reem of paper a usb cable and an Ewonders polo shirt!

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2000, 01:12 AM

DBursey,
this printer isn't a general purpose printer in that it's pricey,
but it is an outstanding printer in my opinion. The Phaser780 and most of the Phaser models, except I have to go to Kinko's to use it.
Color's are rich sharp and glossy, much like that of a really good magazine.

REWard
Jan 28, 2000, 11:27 AM

Like many of the replies, I like the Epson 740/740i for the great "price/performance" ratio and easy integration to iMacs.

But I needed a solution for scanning and printing both for placement space and convenience. I bought my iMac, partly, due to limited office space requirements. My choice for printing/scanning and color copy need lead me to Epson's new Stylus Scan 2500.

The Stylus Scan 2500 is an "all-in-one" scanner/printer/copier combo. Using Epson "Expression" series 600x2400dpi flatbed scanner built into the 740 printer engine, the SS2500 takes up no more footprint than a scanner alone. It supports USB and parallel, has a LED control panel for color-or B&W copying WITHOUT turning on the iMac!
The supporting software makes it easy to scan/print/copy/store and fax (via iMac) documents. The SS2500 got a great review in the March 2000 MACWORLD.

It lists for $449, but I got mine from eCOST for only $358.

If you like the Epson 740 printers and need a better than average scanner, too, check out the Stylus Scan 2500...

------------------
Robin!

[This message has been edited by REWard (edited 01-28-2000).]

mgrabenstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2000, 12:17 AM

My 2 cents... I own an epson 740, so I am bias, but it is a great little printer. Speed seems fine to me (lot faster than my old laser writer :-) . Output is great and I have had very good luck with quality papers from other the generic brands at Wal-Mart.

The HP 970 is very impressive. Though about the cost of two Epson 740's... (HP about $399)

Alps printer doesn't get talked up enough. It is expensive, but in the range of the HP 970 and can do photo quality on plain paper and print both sides, (but does not have a duplex option as far as I know).

Later,
Mike

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2000, 02:47 AM

I am a happy HP 970 owner! I don't know if this was mentioned on this board but you can print on BOTH sides of the paper with the 970 without manually flipping the paper and reinserting it into the paper tray. It's automatic and done through the print options when you print. This printer is so fantastic! I used the 740 at work and this one works better with photos especially enlargements where in most printers, you see the "dots". That's why most printer demos show photos but only small photos. It's also quieter than the epsons which is great! Only bad thing is the price..

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

vidimac
Jan 29, 2000, 10:40 PM

Canon has new bjc-8200 and bjc-8500 (larger print sizes) printers with individually refillable colors and 1200x1200 resolution. Has anybody tried them yet?

DBursey  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2000, 02:25 PM

Hi everyone,

My sincere thanks to everyone who took the time to respond here. This forum is a great resource for mac users!

I'm going printer shopping today. I believe I've narrowed my choices to either the Epson 740i or the HP 970. Hopefully the computer store will have them in stock.

Thanks again people!

Adam Skelton
Jan 31, 2000, 06:47 PM

I have also looked at the 740, but have decided to go for the 760. I have not placed my order yet, and just wanted some opinions before I do. What are the differences between the 740 and the 760, or is it just a newer model?

Adam Skelton

------------------
'I shall be like that
tree, I shall die at the
top.' - Jonathan Swif

Adam Skelton
Jan 31, 2000, 06:48 PM

I have also looked at the 740, but have decided to go for the 760. I have not placed my order yet, and just wanted some opinions before I do. What are the differences between the 740 and the 760, or is it just a newer model?

Adam Skelton

------------------
'I shall be like that
tree, I shall die at the
top.' - Jonathan Swif

vidimac
Jan 31, 2000, 09:23 PM

New Epson printers coming during or after April 2000? Check:
http://lioncity.s-one.net.sg/~printe.../il_new_epson/

RossMAN
Feb 2, 2000, 04:43 AM

Epson 740 $98.95*

or

Brother HL-1240 Laser Printer $202.95*
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum5/HTML/001480.html

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2000, 09:19 PM

HP can go to hell. If that seems rude, I am sorry, but they have really screwed their customers.

Anyone who bought a DeskJet 69x series printer from them and paid $60 for one of their USB connection kits, found their drivers incompatible with OS9. No big deal, HP said they would update them.

They never did.

They have never given an ETA on their arrival, and claim that they have yet to devise a workaround for the OS9 incompatibility.

They are probably lying.

I recall seeing on an HP support page that said the issue was a result of changes to the Mac file system, and that is why the drivers could not updated. On the low end models anyway. The more expensive printers had their update within weeks, even though they had the same problem for the same reason.

Any query made to HP simply says that they will be updated, and to be patient.

By the time they get around to actually trying to update the drivers, OS X will be out and there will likely be yet another months long wait.

marlond
Feb 3, 2000, 09:01 AM

Re: Best iMac Printer?

And the verdict is: the Epson 740i.

My wife said she had used an Epson with a PC a few years back and it never worked right. I have had several HP's with Macs and have noticed that their drivers are sub-standard compared with Windows. We decided to give Epson a try. So far, the 740i is a great machine.

Re: Portable printers

I happen to have owned a portable printer, the Apple styleWriter 2200, made by Cannon. I originally entertained ideas of sitting at the top of a Tibetan mountain top, just my PowerBook, Portable StyleWriter and me, penning and printing haiku poetry.

But this printer was a reality check. It was slow (sloooowww), it printed pretty well for its day, but the ink tanks held enough ink for maybe 20 pages. It had an optional battery pack (which I never purchased) or ran on AC. It was as the size and weight of my PowerBook, so carrying it was a commitment. I began finding excuses not to carry it. It eventually became my ultra small, ultra slow (but still very stylish) desktop printer. I couldn't justify buying anothe desktop printer, because I used the Portable StyleWriter so little. I finally sold the printer on eBay prior to buying the 740i.

Moral: A portable printer is like a HumVee. Those who need them, really need them, but those who don't really need them, really don't need them.

[This message has been edited by marlond (edited 02-03-2000).]

DBursey  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2000, 09:30 AM

Hi again;

I purchased the HP Deskjet 970cs with the automatic two sided printing feature. I'm very pleased with this printer! Very easy to set up and use; good software, very quiet operation. The print quality is excellent for both text and images. At $599 (CDN)a little more pricey than the Epsons, but worth it in my opinion. I recommend this printer.

Thanks again to all who responded to this post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules