Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New user!!

New user!!
vutenor
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 1999, 10:32 PM

Finally! I got my DV SE this afternoon. Came home on my lunch break just to unpack it. I LOVE it. Had the DVD problems to start with, but worked them out. My question now is: when you go through the registration and it asks you if you want a free internet trial, what is the service it will connect you to? I said yes, but then they wanted my credit card info and I didn't want to give that without knowing who I was giving it to (I don't want to end up on AOL). Does anyone know who the free trial is through?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 1999, 10:47 PM

I am told that it is earthlink.net, a pretty decent ISP...

Tracy
Oct 26, 1999, 11:30 PM

My sister bought one of the very first iMacs and has been with EarthLink ever since. I plan on using them also when my iMac 350 finally arrives!

crannell
Oct 27, 1999, 08:48 AM

I changed from a local ISP to Earthlink about 6 months ago. I've never had a busy signal.

------------------
Dr. Wayne Crannell
[email protected]

nonjo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 1999, 06:12 PM

My girlfriend's iMac DV SE set her up with Earthlink. That's also my ISP. Seems very good - 20.00 per month, 6 mb of ftp space for a website. Go for it!

speces5618
Nov 4, 1999, 03:56 AM

Sheesh... why does everyone out there have such a wonderful time with Earthlink but me?? Why do my connections suck? Why can't I stay on for more than 15 minutes without being knocked off??

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 1999, 04:07 AM

probally has alot to do with a bad modem script. Also, please post your system stats, and also what script you are using, thanx

------------------
-See Yea!

slider
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 1999, 01:00 AM

Hey Oscar, I also get really bad connections (most of the time) and I do get bumped off. I have an iMac D 96MB system 8.6. I have been assumming that my ISP sucks, but if you have something I sure would appreciate it. Know that I am thinking about it I still think it is the ISP or at least the network they are using. The slow speeds occur during peak hours, but again if you have something please share.

Thanks, slider

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 1999, 03:35 PM

I was just referring to getting bumped off very often while using an internal modem (GV OEM modems for apple)
Lemme know if this is the case.

------------------
-See Yea!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 1999, 08:57 PM

All i have to say that Earthlink is great and i laugh at the misfortunes of all that use AOL.

PhilB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 1999, 09:29 PM

I think a lot of experience with ISP's really does go back to the local setup (telephone wires, connections, exchanges, etc.). I used to be on Mindspring in a little town in Georgia (USA) and loved it. I moved to Alabama recently and found that, to use the current expression, it sucked. The only way I could get a decent connection within a 100 mi. radius was at 33K. I switched to Earthlink because I could get a local connection at max for my internal modem. I also tried Bellsouth.net and others. My recommendation is find one that gives you consistent good connections. That will be the one for you.

Phil

palws
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 1999, 11:44 PM

I also "had" a problem with staying connected with earthlink when I first signed up with them.
I was/am still new to all this"iMac rev-A/96ram,bought two days after they we're introduced,
Oct.17th.???"and still using this purring machine!
Anyway,back to staying on line with earthlink. An apple demo guy at my locale "frys", explained
to me about the remote access control panel.go there,click options,then the tab"connections",
under "reminders" second & third boxes,change them anyway you want. Myself I UNCHECKED
both, and have had zero problems since! I hope this has helped in some small way!
As far as connection speed goes,well I'm lucky to get 28,800 most of the time its 26,400,
until I went to http://help.earthlink.net/techsuppor...a_scripts.html
Now I'm at 38++++!
BTW-MY OS is 8.6.
Tomarrow I think I'm going to make the plunge and get a iMac DV at my locale comp usa,they
have ten to fifteen in stock"as of 3.m. 11/06/99" also two iMac DV/SE'S! I'm still kinda
undesided on DV or SE! With ram being so high,for the extra 200$, well I don't know???
Also the "frys in Anaheim,ca." that I mentioned has about five DV's,and maybe five of the
G4s-350.
BILL!

wlonh
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 1999, 03:09 PM

modem scripts that are worth a try:
http://www.macntosh.com/help3.html
http://www.busprod.com/watchenman/mo...et%20show.html

and for GV modems: http://www.accesscom.com/~nchinn/scripts.html

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 11-14-1999).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules