Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone else Miss the "Pressed State Appearance" on Scroll Bars?

Anyone else Miss the "Pressed State Appearance" on Scroll Bars?
phrenzy
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2002, 05:02 PM

Ugh, I don't know why, but it drives me crazy that Aqua does not have PRESSED STATE appearance for scroll bars!

It has it for many other things, buttons, scroll arrows, etc - but for some damn reason NOT on scroll bars.

In OS 9 it is nice, if you click on the scroll bar, you can always know if it has been successfully 'clicked' by looking to see if it is dark.

There is no such feedback in Aqua and it is just one of those little user feedback things that makes the interface 'feel' right.

Anyone else miss it?

sandman
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2002, 05:11 PM

It doesn't really make sense to me to have a pressed state for scroll bars. I think of them as being "grabbed" not "pressed."
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2002, 05:21 PM

Anyway, it would be nice if they'd gave visual feedback before you start dragging. Sliders give feedback too, even though you drag - not press - them.

ps:
Why isn't this a poll?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2002, 05:39 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by sandman:
<strong>It doesn't really make sense to me to have a pressed state for scroll bars. I think of them as being "grabbed" not "pressed."</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I think of them as grabbed too. Alas, sometimes while I'm thinking of it being grabbed, the OS isn't. That's why feedback is nice, so you know if you missed before you start drawing rectangles on the desktop
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

b*tchy
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2002, 09:47 PM

I really miss the pressed state on the scrollbars. If you do too, send apple feedback, it would be an easy thing to bring back.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2002, 12:21 AM

The lack of a "pressed state" bothered me for a long time, but not anymore.

I would like it back, though.

Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2002, 01:26 AM

There was something about the scroll bars that was bugging me, but I couldn't put my finger on it - now I know what it was! Yes, I'd love to have the "pressed state" back!

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2002, 03:59 AM

I don't miss it, but I wouldn't mind seeing them come back, just as a nice "fit and finish" sort of feature.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2002, 04:04 AM

I agree 100%. The lack of visual feedback with the aqua gui has been one of my gripes from day one. My main complaint however is with dialog boxes and such. When you click the "OK" it should depress like in OS9. Now it's just a stagnat button like a website from 1996 or something. I think a small amount of visual feedback would really enhance the OSX gui. Great topic.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2002, 04:33 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Technicolor:
<strong>Now it's just a stagnat button like a website from 1996 or something. I think a small amount of visual feedback would really enhance the OSX gui. Great topic.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I agree with all who agree.

For those of us who enjoy audio feedback, Jaguar will ease the pain a bit, since there'll probably be a sound when a click or grab succeeds.

J

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2002, 07:03 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Technicolor:
<strong>I agree 100%. The lack of visual feedback with the aqua gui has been one of my gripes from day one. My main complaint however is with dialog boxes and such. When you click the "OK" it should depress like in OS9. Now it's just a stagnat button like a website from 1996 or something. I think a small amount of visual feedback would really enhance the OSX gui. Great topic.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Buttons in OS X don't "depress"--they glow. It may not be what's in OS 9, but you can't say it doesn't offer any feedback.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

sadie
Senior User
Jul 6, 2002, 05:33 PM

Add me to the list (<a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/" target="_blank">ahem</a>). There should be a lot more tactile feedback in aqua. Ideally, you'd have the scroll bar darken more near where the cursor is grabbing it. Does the filled bit of a scroll bar have a name? I'll call it a slider.

More importantly, the scroll bar should be rendered more from rules than from pre-made images. To get the waves across the slider apparently involves a couple of dozen pre-rendered images. Why can't aqua handle this itself? If not rendered on the fly, then at least re-rendered whenever the settings change. That way it could very easily change the opacity of the waves, or change the colour of the slider. Is that too much to ask for?
All words are lies. Including these ones.

a-poria
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2002, 06:39 PM

how about having the "ripple" effect only when successfully grabbing (or for that matter, only appearing when the cursor moves over the scroll bar)? otherwise they are without "ripple," just a solid grey or blue.

a more tactile os. good topic.

<small>[ 07-06-2002, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: a-poria ]</small>

Forum Links
Forum Rules