Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Fast Image Viewer in X

Fast Image Viewer in X
Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2002, 12:37 AM

I'm in the process of switching over to OS X, and I'm looking for a replacement for QuickTime PictureViewer or JPEGView that I used to use in OS 9. For JPEG or GIF files that I don't want to edit, I want a program that will just slap them up on the monitor as fast as possible, doing nothing more than ensuring that the image fits on the screen. OS X appears to want me to use Preview for this, but it isn't really what I'm looking for. For one thing, it likes to scale the image to fit it's own window, rather than the other way around (or is that a preference I can set?) Also, the toolbar at the top occupies valuable screen real estate.
( Last edited by Sword of Orion; Aug 31, 2002 at 02:09 AM. )

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2002, 09:59 PM

Sword of Orion  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2002, 11:42 PM

I've got GraphicConverter, and I use that (among other programs) when I want to edit an image file, but what I'm looking for is a program to use when all I want to do is display an image on the screen. I haven't been able to find an OS X equivalent to JPEGView or QuickTime PictureViewer.

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2002, 06:13 AM

the problem with preview is that it displays images in the correct resolution- where as picture viewer always displayed at 72dpi- regardless of the images proper resolution, and then it shrank the image to fit the screen.

you can use apple- up or apple -down (cursor keys) to zoom in+out, and use the window maximer to show the image in a full size box. not as easy as picture viewer,but a start

SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2002, 09:12 AM

Try jview

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2002, 01:59 PM

yeah, nother vote for jview - i just read about it on mac update, and came here to tell you about it- looks like someone beat me to it it works exactly the same as picture viewer, btw

Sword of Orion  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2002, 10:42 PM

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Forum Links
Forum Rules