Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Opening case void warranty?

Opening case void warranty?
TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Jan 3, 2005, 11:31 PM

I had to open my PowerBook case to try to install the new MCE drive - if you read my other thread you know the problems I'm having with that. Long story short - now my lower memory slot doesn't work and I confirmed that it's the slot because the 3rd party and Apple RAM modules (1 GB and 512 MB) both work seperately on their own in the upper slot, and leaving just a module in the lower slot boots up my PowerBook to 4 beeps.

Anyway, I got the laptop from the Apple Store online last April, so it's within a year. Am I in luck?

ddma
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2005, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by TheGreatButcher:
I had to open my PowerBook case to try to install the new MCE drive - if you read my other thread you know the problems I'm having with that. Long story short - now my lower memory slot doesn't work and I confirmed that it's the slot because the 3rd party and Apple RAM modules (1 GB and 512 MB) both work seperately on their own in the upper slot, and leaving just a module in the lower slot boots up my PowerBook to 4 beeps.

Anyway, I got the laptop from the Apple Store online last April, so it's within a year. Am I in luck?
Sorry I am too lazy to check your old thread, which model of PowerBook are you using? If it is Ti PowerBook, it should be fine. However, if it is the new Al PowerBook, you may have to reinstall the old drive in it and make it less look like it has been opened before. You may take it back to the service centre and keep your fingers crossed.
The stupidest user.
.ddma.SAY - http://www.didierma.com

TheGreatButcher  (op)
Senior User
Jan 3, 2005, 11:40 PM

It is the Aluminum PowerBook and the old drive is still in. Also, there were no seals that one normally sees that says "Warranty Void if broken"

Forum Links
Forum Rules