Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 2)
Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2006, 12:20 PM

Reminds me of when they used talk about families communicating by leaving each other letters in Animal Crossing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by starman
IGN: Madden NFL 07 Preview

"To hike the ball, you simply snap the Wii remote back. When you want to throw, you select your receivers via the four sides of the D-Pad or A button, and then make a throwing motion with the remote. If you snap the controller forward, you'll throw a bullet pass. If you're slow with your motion, you'll lob it. And, naturally, somewhere in between is where you'll find your normal passes. Meanwhile, you control your quarterback in the pocket with the analog stick on the nunchuk, easily moving him around and avoiding tackles."

I'm wondering how many people will accidentally throw their remotes.
*raises hand*

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Reminds me of when they used talk about families communicating by leaving each other letters in Animal Crossing.
Did anyone actually do that? It takes quite a while to log into AC, plus AC never had keyboard support like other games did.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2006, 12:43 PM

I doubt it. It's not like typing a message in that game was very efficient either. Anyway I think I got this news via Extended Play, if not Gamespot tv.

Ah, TechTV.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2006, 12:47 PM

It looks cute in demo's but nobody in the world will use it. Imagine how much easier it is to take a sticky note and write "gone shopping" on it and stick it in the middle of the TV.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
It looks cute in demo's but nobody in the world will use it. Imagine how much easier it is to take a sticky note and write "gone shopping" on it and stick it in the middle of the TV.
And God forbid Resetti ever showed up.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2006, 01:24 PM

I've bought every Nintendo system at launch, but I'm waiting on reviews and real world feedback before taking the plunge on the Wii.

The no HD support is a really bad move in my book.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
I've bought every Nintendo system at launch, but I'm waiting on reviews and real world feedback before taking the plunge on the Wii.

The no HD support is a really bad move in my book.

Every single system gets tons of hype and sells out at launch just for one title, in this case Zelda.

I mean remember how we all went apeshit for the Cube with the "Smaller disks means no load time, Nintendo is concentrating on games not DVD playback or multimedia, the graphics are better than the PS2 and equal to the Xbox".

The Wii will outsell the PS3 by a million to one at first. Why? Well I was talking to some stores here the other day and it seems Canada will be getting 8000 - 10,000 PS3's at launch where the wii will ship 400,000.

No stores I know of are even taking orders for the PS3 because they don't know what they are getting.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...i-or-xb360/29/

Did you miss the 800lb. gorilla in the room?
No- I'm avoiding it. That thread isn't particular to the Wii and at 29 pages and counting, the time was ripe for a new thread.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2006, 05:40 PM

Weird.

Despite all the hype and confidence with the Wii it has gone strangely reverse after the price and ship date was announced.

People are actually excited for the PS3 now that more info is out and the price cut in Japan.

The Zeitgeist Following the Wii250 Announcement: Sony Tolerance on the Rise - Kotaku

Matt-IGN's Blog - SR388 Sanctuary

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2006, 05:46 PM

wasn't there just a stock price drop with sony after announcing production problems with the PS3 (+ another battery recall). Guess they are heating up too much and causing reboots. Now, some say that was because of the cases they were in at the Tokyo Show, but one Sony rep said something like, "this close to mass production, we can't take any chances that there is a problem".

it looks like there will be another delay in launch*

*my speculation and others based on the heat problem that may or may not be due to the cases they were in at the trade show.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Matt-IGN
This is going to be a quick one because i'm out the door. Earlier today I arrived in San Francisco to play some Wii demos and also go to a co-worker's wedding. Just five minutes ago I wrapped up an hour or so hands-on demo with Madden NFL 07 for Wii. And I have to tell you, the game is fun. On top of that, it's not gimmicky.

EA has really invested a lot of time and resources into making the game play well. The controls don't feel as though they were designed for GameCube and made to fit with the Wii remote. They feel like they were built for the Wii from the ground up, which is pretty much the truth. Within 10 minutes or so, I was moving along pretty smoothly and having a great time with the game.

We grabbed a ton of crispy footage that we'll be posting up soon with any luck, so you'll be able to see everything for yourself. Until then, take my word that the title is solid and actually pretty good looking, too. Not Xbox 360, of course, but definitely well beyond GCN and better than Xbox.

I think a lot of football fans will love it. I wonder, though, if hardcore videogamers who have grown up with traditional Madden will be willing to give it a chance?
Looks like it's not that bad.
Linkinus is king.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
it looks like there will be another delay in launch*

Oh, pleeeease. As other stories have mentioned it happens at every game trade show, there was an equal amount of x360 dev units and kiosks that crashed. Heck even in store PS2's and Gamecubes are crashed.

They said that showfloor had no AC and was sweltering hot. On top of that those systems were running all day in a small cabinet.

People are just looking to PS3 bash.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2006, 07:22 PM

i'd say a stock drop is more than people bashing the PS3.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2006, 07:33 PM

And yet checking the stock on Sony, there's NOTHING about a stock drop due directly because of the PS3.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2006, 07:39 PM

the battery problem + the reported heat issues have cause the stock to drop. both contributed to the financial outlook by the market. i don't think those people are trying to bash the PS3. that is what i meant.

i don't think game blog reports cause the financial outlook to change.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 3, 2006, 08:06 PM

Can we get back to the Wii?

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Can we get back to the Wii?
Seconded! Seriously, WTF? Shoo!

Kinda sucks it's coming out just before Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll be too "sick" to take a trip or to host a dinner this year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the "possibility" of a Wii centric friends list is really the way they choose to go. This one code per game stuff has gotten old.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2006, 10:58 PM

I`m totally ticked off that its 1) Not region free 2) Having a later release date in Japan.

Look! I`m ticked! Super ticked!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
i'd say a stock drop is more than people bashing the PS3.
Actually the stock drops because investors hear people bashing Sony.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 11:15 PM

I thought it was region free?
Linkinus is king.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2006, 04:41 AM

A relatively minor concern, but I wonder in what colors the system will ship in initially, and then if others will come after that. So far Nintendo has shown a black Wii, but now they're pushing a white Wii. However, I've seen the Wii-mote in other colors as well, including red.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2006, 06:00 AM

Everything I've seen points to white.

And no, brokenjago, while there were some early reports that it would be region free, subsequent statements Nintendo people have basically said that they were wrong.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
A relatively minor concern, but I wonder in what colors the system will ship in initially, and then if others will come after that. So far Nintendo has shown a black Wii, but now they're pushing a white Wii. However, I've seen the Wii-mote in other colors as well, including red.

It is ONLY shipping in white at first. Then in 6 months they will come out with Black and pink to get people who have white ones to sell them and get another colour.

The Wii is also region locked.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2006, 10:28 AM

The Wii is also region locked.
This, I will admit, has been bothering me. The lack of region-lock on the DS was a step in the right direction, and I'm sad to see it go on the Wii.

That said, Nintendo has changed its mind on this issue several times. I have no illusions of them changing their mind again this late in the game, but the fact that it was possible for them to change their minds so frequently implies that modding the console isn't likely to be difficult. Figuring out how it's done will probably be the hardest part.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
This, I will admit, has been bothering me. The lack of region-lock on the DS was a step in the right direction, and I'm sad to see it go on the Wii.
For me that is my least of concerns with the Wii.

What is the deal with the PS3? Games unlocked movies locked?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2006, 10:36 AM

Region locking is a move they'll probably end up Wii-gretting.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Region locking is a move they'll probably end up Wii-gretting.

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2006, 10:43 AM

It is ONLY shipping in white at first. Then in 6 months they will come out with Black and pink to get people who have white ones to sell them and get another colour.
Generic hater bullshit. I haven't bought a pink or black DS Lite, have I?

Depending on how big of a hit the Wii is, I'll totally pick up another one down the road.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by zro
Generic hater bullshit. I haven't bought a pink or black DS Lite, have I?

Depending on how big of a hit the Wii is, I'll totally pick up another one down the road.

Case in point.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2006, 11:16 AM

While I agree that making it region free would have been a good move, I don't think you can say that the DS being region free was "a step in the right direction." The DS is a portable system, and portable systems have traditionally been region free (the Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, DS, and PSP are all region free).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2006, 01:17 PM

What is the deal with the PS3? Games unlocked movies locked?
I think that's the current situation, yeah. No way will they ever unlock movies, but last I heard they were going to unlock games.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2006, 01:22 PM

HD-DVD and BR are region free. I wonder how that would factor into the PS3 as far as BR goes. I'm sure they'll have to stick with region coding for SD-DVD.

Region-free games are great on the DS and PSP.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2006, 02:01 PM

"The dig against the Wii is that it's pretty much a GameCube. With a new controller. But, so what? In a recent interview, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto confirms that:

The hardware is basically a GC. We've upgraded our development tools to new versions but, you can still use GC programs as they are. With that in mind, I thought we could remake GC titles for the Wii and modify them to work with the Wii remote so that they're more fun to play."

Miyamoto On the Wii: "The Hardware Is Basically A GC." - Kotaku

So I guess gameCube 1.5 is valid.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2006, 02:03 PM

I win.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2006, 02:22 PM

It's got hardware 3x as fast. I didn't think adopting an entirely new hardware architecture and processor language was a requirement for moving between console generations. I mean, if that's the case, the SNES is really and NES 1.5, The Genesis is really a Master System 1.5, the Gamecube is really a N64 1.5, etc, etc.

He's saying the the Wii's hardware is compatible with the Gamecube's. That way the Wii can run Gamecube games.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2006, 02:35 PM

You're missing the point. If the Wii can run GC games, and you're really not getting any benefit from what's in the box, then what's the point of the Wii itself? Why not just make the controller a GC addon? This is the same point brought up in the other thread which nobody really came up with a good answer for.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
He's saying the the Wii's hardware is compatible with the Gamecube's. That way the Wii can run Gamecube games.
I don't see how that is the only thing he is saying by this sentence unless you have ask him personally to clarify.

"The hardware is basically a GC. We've upgraded our development tools to new versions but, you can still use GC programs as they are. With that in mind, I thought we could remake GC titles for the Wii and modify them to work with the Wii remote so that they're more fun to play."

Judging by all the other comments from Nintendo how they basically wanted to take a gamecube and make it smaller and more power efficient (the two biggest requests from gamers apparently) I don't understand how you think all he is saying is "the Wii's hardware is compatible with the Gamecube's".

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2006, 02:38 PM

"The dig against the Wii is that it's pretty much a GameCube. With a new controller. But, so what? In a recent interview, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto confirms that:

The hardware is basically a GC. We've upgraded our development tools to new versions but, you can still use GC programs as they are. With that in mind, I thought we could remake GC titles for the Wii and modify them to work with the Wii remote so that they're more fun to play."

Miyamoto On the Wii: "The Hardware Is Basically A GC." - Kotaku

What's worse is that its $150 more for what essentially boils done to a slight graphics upgrade and a new controller.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2006, 02:43 PM

It's got hardware 3x as fast. I didn't think adopting an entirely new hardware architecture and processor language was a requirement for moving between console generations. I mean, if that's the case, the SNES is really and NES 1.5,
The SNES did use a completely different processor than the NES.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2006, 02:43 PM

Ok cool. The PS3 can run PS1 and PS2 games but that doesn't mean it is an excuse to not upgrade the current gen.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2006, 02:45 PM

Judging by all the other comments from Nintendo how they basically wanted to take a gamecube and make it smaller and more power efficient (the two biggest requests from gamers apparently).
Yeah, because every time I play my Gamecube, I can't help but think of how it's too damn big and inefficient.

Seriously though, even if you could add the motion sensing capabilities to the current Gamecube, you can't easily add things like wireless, memory card slots, etc, and the fact of the matter is that it is more powerful than the Gamecube. Just not quite the quantum leap that some people were hoping for.

If the competition between the DS and PSP has taught us anything, it's that sheer horsepower does not make for a successful system. I'm not bashing either one -- I love both systems for what they are good at -- but if you buy into the logic of a lot of Wii bashers, the DS should have been a disaster. Gimmicky dual screens/touch screen, inferior graphics, no multimedia capability, etc. Instead, it's selling like gangbusters. In fact, I think the DS may have a similar "halo effect" that the iPod has had for the Mac. People who like the DS may want to see what the Wii is all about.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2006, 02:58 PM

If the competition between the DS and PSP has taught us anything, it's that sheer horsepower does not make for a successful system.
True but even though I own a DS there is not a single game that I have that is good BECAUSE it has 2 screens and touch sensors.

Mario World (Makes no good use of 2 screens, touch or mic)
Mario 64 (worse because of no analog controls)
Mario Cart ((Makes no good use of 2 screens, touch or mic)

Sure there are some that do use the touch controls but they are just mini games.

Can someone point me to a DS game that is BETTER because of 2 smalls screens instead of one big widescreen one?

Every time I play mario cart or Mario world it makes me sad thinking how much better it would be on a PSP.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2006, 03:00 PM

Ok cool. The PS3 can run PS1 and PS2 games but that doesn't mean it is an excuse to not upgrade the current gen.
But they did upgrade it. They took a different upgrade path than you'd seem to like -in a nutshell, they focused on I/O rather than graphics- but it is certainly an upgrade.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2006, 03:06 PM

True but even though I own a DS there is not a single game that I have that is good BECAUSE it has 2 screens and touch sensors.
Kirby Canvas Curse would not have been possible on anything but the DS and is a whole lot of fun, and not just a collection of Mini games.

Same with WarioWare, but that is a collection of Mini games.
Same with Big Brain Academy, or Brain Age.
Same with Meteos.
Same with Trauma Center.
Same with Nintendogs.
Same with Yoshi Touch & Go.
Same with Polarium.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are quite a few more.

But as you can see, there are quite a few games that benefit from a Microphone, Touch Screen, Wireless, and, albeit less so, from Dual Screens.

Of course, it's all a matter of opinion.
Linkinus is king.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2006, 03:07 PM

But they did upgrade it. They took a different upgrade path than you'd seem to like -in a nutshell, they focused on I/O rather than graphics- but it is certainly an upgrade.

No no. They are focused on MONEY from day one. The wii is a smaller xbox 1 with no hard drive so 5 year old technology is cheap.

Not only that but they know even if they tried their best to make some mean hardware that sony and MS would beat them with their hardware resources. So they had to go with the opposite extreme with concentrating on the controller (which anyone can now add on to the PS3, 360) and convince people that gamecube graphics are "good enough" by their standards.

As it was pointed out, if you go by a Wii + Zelda then Nintendo has made it's money and don't care if it ever gets another dollar from you so more games are no hurry.

With Xbox and PS3 they lose money on the hardware so they have to push out tons of great games to make up for the loss.

I know which is better for me as a consumer.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2006, 03:10 PM

Well, if those are the only games you have then I could see how you would feel that way, but there are actually quite a number of games that make good use of the touch screen/dual screens. (Meteos, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Kirby's Canvas Curse, Yoshi's Touch N Go, Wario Ware Touched, etc). You can't expect every game to make use of all of the features, and as I said above, it's actually better than they don't try and shoehorn those features into games that don't need them.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2006, 03:11 PM

it's actually better than they don't try and shoehorn those features into games that don't need them.
Good call.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
Kirby Canvas Curse would not have been possible on anything but the DS and is a whole lot of fun, and not just a collection of Mini games.

Same with WarioWare, but that is a collection of Mini games.
Same with Big Brain Academy, or Brain Age.
Same with Meteos.
Same with Trauma Center.
Same with Nintendogs.
Same with Yoshi Touch & Go.
Same with Polarium.
Ok but those are all for touch screen. The DS is called DS for Dual Screen. So how has that made anything better?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2006, 03:16 PM

Ok but those are all for touch screen. The DS is called DS for Dual Screen. So how has that made anything better?
So you're saying that you would have preferred one big screen, like the PSP. Just keep in mind that the DS is about half the price of the PSP. A huge screen doesn't come free. And having 2 screens allows you close the unit in a clamshell style, which makes the unit easier to carry and protects the screens better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules