Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > iColours review

iColours review
ghostshadow
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2007, 03:52 AM

I thought I would review the icolours films. This is taken off of my site � iColours review

-------
You might have seen some iBooks, Macbooks, Powerbooks, etc. with the Apple logo on the lid colored, maybe it was colored the old school rainbow color, maybe it was a solid color like graysail's iBook.(seen here) Sometimes, you'll see the rainbow. It will look dull and not very professional. Other times, you might see one that looks really really top notch. This review is about those top notch colored Apple logo's you might see. If the ones you have seen look top notch, they are probably made by iColours. I am going to review the rainbow iColours inserts.
-------

I recently purchased an insert from iColours.ca - Customize Your Laptop! just for a review. I had seen these inserts about a year ago. I never gave it much thought. I thought they were very interesting and they looked really nice. I never really had much of a desire to actually color the logo on my iBook. I did try a Knox Ware logo once, and a skull. But I decided against it the day I put them in. It just didn't feel right, in a sense. I wanted to keep the cleanliness of the iBook, I thought a skull looked out of place, it felt almost taboo. After taking out the skull and the logo. I stumbled upon these films, I was amazed at how clean they looked. Since it has been a year or more, I had a change of heart and decided to try one of these films out.

I headed over to iColours.ca - Customize Your Laptop! to check out what their current products were. They have a few more selections than the last time I went. I decided to go with the old school rainbow. You just cannot go wrong with the rainbow Apple logo. The film cost $3.99 USD with free shipping. You really cannot beat free shipping. After waiting 2 days, the insert arrived! I was very surprised at how fast the shipment was. The package was a plain white envelope with the iColours logo.
-------
I blurred out our addresses so neither one of us receive any weirdo's on our doorsteps.

-------
I pulled out the contents, wrapped around the insert was a little thank you note, very nice touch, it also kept the insert from being bent in the mail, the paper used was card stock type paper, so it's a little thicker than regular paper.
-------

-------
The package flipped over.
-------

-------
This is where I got excited. I seen how nice the colors were. They are the correct shades. Which to me is great, because I have seen some other inserts by other companies that looked a little off. The color is dead on with the iColours.
-------
Here is the insert out of the paper "cover".

-------
Held up to the light.
-------

-------
I was really excited to put this into my iBook, when I held the insert up to the light I was amazed at out crystal clear the colors were. I proceeded to take the lid off of the iBook, the lids are held together with 4 hex screws, very simple to get the screws out. If you have never taken the top cover off on an iBook before, you will want to do it with precaution. The top half clips onto the LCD bezel on the front, basically it's clipped all around. You have to bend up on the cover to get it to pop off, you can also use a small flathead, but be VERY CAREFUL!, you could slip and stab your LCD. That would be bad. There is also a manual on icolours.ca, you can pick your model of laptop and read the guide, iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories also has some very good guides on how to take apart your laptop.
-------
Screwdriver in.

-------
Screws out.
-------

-------
Lid is now partially off.
-------

-------
With the lid now off of the iBook, I centered the insert onto the inside of the lid, over the Apple logo.
-------

-------
Once it was in place, I held it up to the window to see what the lid would look like with light passing through it, mind you, the colors are not correct because of the light intensity and poor lighting in my room.
-------

-------
Once I made sure everything was in place, I secured the insert down with clear tape. I then clipped the housing back onto my LCD and screwed the iBook lid back together. the remaining pictures are of the final outcome.
-------

-------

-------
Close up.
-------
Continued below....

ghostshadow  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2007, 03:54 AM

Continued...
-------

-------

-------

-------
In the dark.
-------

-------
Look we match! (don't we make a cute couple )
-------

-------
All in all, I am very pleased with this product. The quality is superb, the price is very fair, the shipping is extremely fast. The support is amazing for people that are new to taking computers apart. A newbie shouldn't feel overwhelmed if they are just jumping into it. I really cannot praise this product enough. It is definitely staying in my iBook for a long time.

The only cons to the product are, I should have more!!! And I dont have enough mac laptops to put them in haha. Really, there are no cons.

Enjoy and go order a couple!

10 out 10 rating. iColours.ca - Customize Your Laptop! price: $3.99 US, shipping is free.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 12:18 PM

Nice, thanks. I've been thinking about getting one of those. Very detailed review!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 12:32 PM

Reads more like an ad, frankly, but I forgive it, because it is so cool.

inkhead
Senior User
May 17, 2007, 12:28 AM

The only problem I have with the old Apple logo is it looks like the gay rainbow symbol used by many gay people to symbolize their sexuality. I once had a sticker on my laptop with the multicolored Apple logo. A man in the coffee shop sat down next to me and started asking about how I felt about gay rights and so forth.. After having a discussion he realized I wasn't gay, and said that it was pretty nice of me to show my support for the gay community. I asked him how he figured it out, and he pointed to my Apple sticker. ;-)

I'm all about being supportive, but I took the sticker off, because I really didn't want people to see that and think that I was flaunting any sort of sexual orientation (I'm straight, but I wouldn't put a sticker saying representing it on my laptop).

Anyway the sticker printing looks to be very high quality! That's really hard to do on transparencies.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2007, 12:36 PM

wow, you have an apple tattoo.
just wow.
we don't have time to stop for gas

ghostshadow  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2007, 03:57 PM

Yeppers :-D

here is a better picture, this was 24 days after it was done. I got it done on april 1st last year, (apples 30th year)

stovetop25
Banned
May 21, 2007, 05:17 PM

Sweet!

murphy245
May 22, 2007, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ghostshadow View Post
Yeppers :-D

here is a better picture, this was 24 days after it was done. I got it done on april 1st last year, (apples 30th year)
me likey

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 08:20 PM

I'd want to do my Apple logo in red and green. I've seen it done on an iBook elsewhere. I'd probably also paint my case to be some cool color scheme. Don't know what. But I can't do it until my warranty is over. Mine's a MacBook. Of course by the time I can finally crack it open, I'll be looking into a MacBook Pro and won't really care about the MB anymore. (Most likely will be looking into selling it. So what's the point?) If only this could be done without voiding a warranty. If I had more faith in my own luck and Karma, I'd just say hell with it now. But I only got it 2 weeks ago. If I open it up, I will DEFINITELY have a problem soon.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 08:23 PM

Don't paint your case.

Forum Links
Forum Rules