Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Allocating memory question!

Allocating memory question!
sethwrks
Jun 2, 2003, 10:07 AM

I know how to allocate memory to a program...
But how do I give more memory to the actual OS? (see image)
This would end a lot of "out-of-memory" crashes for me. (i think)

Fredo
Senior User
Jun 2, 2003, 01:43 PM

You have plenty of physical memory (768) and should not have out of memory problems. Just allocate 3x the recommended memory amount to the application, and turn VM off.
Memory to the OS is dynamic and not user adjustable. The OS will take as much memory as it can relative to the number of applications you have running at the same time. You have a lot of physical memory, so it takes a lot. No worries.
Who are the Brain Police?

pliny
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 09:59 AM

what fredo said, plus, your vm allocation is interesting- vm is swapping from the hd, which on the laptop is what, 5400 rpm, speed of the hd might be slowing memory functions down. i'd say take the vm to physical ram+1
i look in your general direction

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2003, 07:41 PM

I'm having similar trouble (I think), sometimes when I use the help center or try to search help from the menu bar when an application is open, it says "not enough memory to complete" etc.

I can go through help with the links, but searches are a 50/50 chance of crashing.

Any ideas, anyone?

(iMac 450 DV+, OS 9.1)
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Fredo:
Memory to the OS is dynamic and not user adjustable. The OS will take as much memory as it can relative to the number of applications you have running at the same time.
How come the OS can change its memory requirements but every other app couldn't?

Cipher13
Jun 9, 2003, 05:56 AM

If every other app did too, with the OS9 memory management system, there'd be chaos.

You can increase the Finders memory allocation with ResEdit, but I wouldn't bother.

Set VM to phys RAM + 1.

Forum Links
Forum Rules