Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Virtual Memory settings

Virtual Memory settings
ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2004, 04:41 PM

I have a G4 800 in work with 256mb RAM installed, at the moment, Virtual Memory is set to 257mb, so its actual RAM +1. I've heard of two good ways of setting Virtual Memory, either double the actual memory, or the actual memory +1, as this one is. Is there an ideal setting for the VM? It's used as a design computer, running Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator etc. Would the memory settings still be used in OS X Classic? at the moment OS X is out of action, waiting for me to reinstall it (don't ask, this computer has been a git for the past week).

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2004, 08:32 AM

My recommendation is more RAM. If you're running those apps simontaneously, 1 GB would be good when you have OS X going again.

I've never heard of an ideal setting for VM, as long as you have enough allotted for each app you want to run.

When you're running Classic again, the memory settings per application will still apply. OS X handles the rest. You can't even open the Memory Control Panel in Classic.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by ajprice:
I have a G4 800 in work with 256mb RAM installed, at the moment, Virtual Memory is set to 257mb, so its actual RAM +1. I've heard of two good ways of setting Virtual Memory, either double the actual memory, or the actual memory +1, as this one is. Is there an ideal setting for the VM? It's used as a design computer, running Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator etc. Would the memory settings still be used in OS X Classic? at the moment OS X is out of action, waiting for me to reinstall it (don't ask, this computer has been a git for the past week).
The ram +1 is the default setting. You can set it to whatever you want. However, be aware that A) To set the VM higher, you have to have that amount of free HD space available, and B) The higher you set VM, the more often the system will hit the HD for additional memory when running multiple apps, like those ram hogs you listed, and C) overall system performance will suffer when using VM.

Best solution is more REAL ram. Both OS 9 & X will benefit greatly. At 1GB, VM is automatically disabled in OS 9. And memory management, both real & Virtual, is light years more advanced in OS X than it was in 9
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2004, 01:50 AM

This time I have to concur with bowwowman. I always had my 8600/300's virtual memory set to 1MB greater than physical RAM. In June, when I upgraded to my G5 and moved my 8600 to second-tier status, I installed the 128MB stick I had been meaning to install for years. Afterward, I turned off virtual memory in order to perform tests on the RAM. Let me state that the speed difference in common operations was impressive. And I'm sure this was due to turning of VM, because I really have not done much to push the new RAM. I see the speed up with only three or four programs running. The reason most gave for turning on VM was that it reduces application memory requirements, which it does. But if you have a sufficient amount of RAM, turn it off. What do I mean by sufficient? If you have enough RAM not to run out of RAM due to the extra amount of memory required by applications, then you have a sufficient amount.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Fredo
Senior User
Sep 29, 2004, 12:08 PM

If you have a large amount of physical ram in your machine, you still need to set the memory allocation for each application manually. This is the major difference in memory management between OS9 and X.
Buy the most physical memory you can afford. Turn off virtual memory in the memory control panel. Find the application you want to modify, not an alias. Hi light (single-click) the application, and key command-i. In the info box, you will find a memory category, double or triple the allotments provided in these boxes.
This will work really well, especially for memory hogs. Also, use only one memory intensive application at a time.
Who are the Brain Police?

Forum Links
Forum Rules