Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Software Update problems...

Software Update problems...
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2001, 07:48 PM

Any ideas as to sorting the following problem would be much appreciated...

I have been running 9.1 on a DV+ iMac without problems, however, in the last few days, Software Update has been really playing up...

When I selected an item of software to be installed in the 'software update' program, instead of installing the software I immediately received the standard message saying that the software had been installed and I would have to reinstall to use the new software...

I didn't fancy messing around with trouble shooting, so I decided to perform a clean install, and install X at the same time. I initialised the drive, and partitioned it into 2 equal parts, installing X on the first and 9.1 on the second, both perform perfectly...(despite the fact that the iMac only has 64MB RAM...it runs X quicker than my G4 with shed loads of RAM....strange...but I suppose that is another story..).

Anyway, I decided to install the software updates on both X (to 10.0.3) and the various updates to 9.1, however the 'software update' problem still ocurs in 9.1, and even worse it is also happening in X!

I have downloaded the updates for both OSs seperatly from the apple web site and they all work and install perfectly, however they will not do so via 'software update'. I have run all the diagnostic software I have and they all state that no problems exist...HELP!

Any suggestions/ideas as to the cause of the problem would be greatly appreciated...

Marc

wclarkson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2001, 08:04 PM

I have been experiencing the same problem. No Solution yet, no clue on the cause.
G4 Cube Owner :-)

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2001, 08:29 PM

The problem just seems so strange, I run the same set-up on my PowerMac and Powerbook with no problems...It is getting to the stage that I'm thinking of attempting another initialisation / partition / installation, although I really don't have the time...Waiting for the next update is tempting, to see if that will fix it...although 10.0.1 and 10.0.03 didn't so I'm not hopeful....

posthumanus
Senior User
Jun 8, 2001, 10:27 PM

my advice - get rid of the damn thing. it causes more problems than it's worth.

you're never going to miss an update if you cruise these forum pages, check versiontracker and the apple HQ site. once a week (or month) should be more than enough to keep you up to date.

besides - you might have some apps that you don't want updated. i certainly do.

posthumanus.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 9, 2001, 03:04 AM

Marc2211,

The fact that the problem persists after reformatting & clean installs, and affects both OS X and OS 9 suggests a hardware cause.

Zap the PRAM - hold down Command-Option-p-r during startup until you hear several chimes. If that does not do the trick, you could try the CUDA reset button on the motherboard for a super reset. It is located inside the RAM/Airport access panel on your model of iMac.

<Marc2211>
Jun 9, 2001, 08:37 AM

Reader50, Posthumanus,

Cheers for the advice, I had previously tried resetting the PRAM with no effect, but not the 'CUDA reset'...however it also has not helped...(i'll remember that for the future though )

Just phoned Apple as a last resort, they said that they have had tons of reports of the problem in the last few days, in both 9.1 and X, and it is more than likely a problem at their end, it would seem that the servers they use use for downloads etc are playing up...Anyway they are phoning me back to confirm the situation...

I will post their response when I have it...

Marc

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2001, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Marc2211&gt;:
<STRONG>Reader50, Posthumanus,

Cheers for the advice, I had previously tried resetting the PRAM with no effect, but not the 'CUDA reset'...however it also has not helped...(i'll remember that for the future though )

Just phoned Apple as a last resort, they said that they have had tons of reports of the problem in the last few days, in both 9.1 and X, and it is more than likely a problem at their end, it would seem that the servers they use use for downloads etc are playing up...Anyway they are phoning me back to confirm the situation...

I will post their response when I have it...

Marc</STRONG>

Don't know why it set me as 'unregistered' as I was 'logged in'?? strange..

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2001, 11:26 AM

On a different but related note, many people, myself included, are having problems with software update where we download something via the software update program only to find it shows up again and again as an available update. The most often cited apps at the root of the problem seem to be MRJ and Disk First Aid 8.6.1.

I tried manually downloading Disk First Aid and installing it. All went like it should, but then software update still says I need it. The Apple Support Discussions are seeing lots of these cases on hardware ranging from my humble G3 Power Mac up the line to the latest G4 Power Macs. No answers yet.

wclarkson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2001, 10:26 PM

Rambo47 I have that same problem. Could you post the solution when you find it.
G4 Cube Owner :-)

reader50
Administrator
Jun 10, 2001, 01:21 AM

I just played around with Disk First Aid, moving it to different locations. I even changed it's name to "Disk First Aid 8.6.1" as shown, and presently changed the internal version number to 1.0 (with ResEdit) to match the version number shown in the Software Update control panel. The Updateable Items prefs file was trashed between each attempt.

Nothing worked. It kept offering DFA 8.6.1 to me every time. This has to be a problem on Apple's end, they had a similiar problem with Outlook Express some time ago. And I do not even have OE in my system, but it kept offering me OE each time. Eventually, Apple fixed the OE problem, and they will have to fix the DFA problem as well.

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2001, 05:46 PM

Just spoke to Apple, and they confirmed thet there was a server problem that has existed for a fair time, but also told me that it has just been fixed...
I too had the same problems with DFA 8.6.1 etc, however I have tried the 'update' utility in X and 9.1 since the call and all seems to be working normally...I'm in the UK so I don't know if this effects US servers...

Marc

<Oscar Molen>
Jun 12, 2001, 06:29 PM

I'm living in the States and apparently the US servers have not been updated, because I am still getting DFA everytime I use software update...

I guess we'll just have to wait for Apple to fix it...
b a s

Forum Links
Forum Rules