Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Folder protection question

Folder protection question
codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2003, 02:06 PM

I have a folder on my desktop called "projects". It's basically a misc file of all the junk I've been working on or playing with recently. Keeps my desktop uncluttered. Only problem with this is if I accidentally delete my "projects" folder i am screwed (this has happend once or twice). I tried changing the permisions on it to "read only", but that prevents me from moving, editing, or deleteing anything inside it. Is there a way I can protect my "projects" folder from being accidentally deleted, while still being able to work witht he contents inside, like a normal folder?

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2003, 03:47 PM

Just a thought. But couldn't you store the real folder somewhere else on the drive and create an alias on the desktop? That way the most you would delete would be the alias as opposed to the folder itself.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2003, 09:02 AM

I like the alias idea.

Also, how about backing it up?

Look into RSyncX, or you can grab iMSafe from me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules