Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > 'Day Without Immigrants'

'Day Without Immigrants'
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2017, 11:24 AM

Seems to backfire every time. So they are staying away from work? Replace them. Away from schools? Zero for a test grade. So much for being reliable. Lets look into the businesses affected, and see just how many false/fake/stolen Social Security numbers they have.

In Prince William County VA. they tried this and rest of the locals said it was great, to get to order in English, and not have the drama.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2017, 11:27 AM

"If you have hate in your heart, let it out."

andi*pandi
Feb 16, 2017, 11:30 AM

The assumption that going on strike means they can't use sick time, vacation time, etc, is fallacious. Many business owners themselves are supporting the day, as they themselves are immigrants.

The point is for you to look around and notice that more people are immigrants than you realize, doing more than just the invisible jobs, but also jobs you rely on. Also, non-immigrant businesses will feel the hit as they will miss the immigrants spending money there.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/poli...l0M/story.html

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2017, 12:34 PM

There is no problem with LEGAL immigration. Undocumented/ILLEGALs are another story. A detail lost on many.

andi*pandi
Feb 16, 2017, 01:06 PM

Plenty of LEGAL immigrants feeling the pain of being held at airports, Badkosh. Green cards, visas, torn up. Plenty of legal folks around you feeling hate, because to look at people, you can't tell LEGAL from ILLEGAL. Some folk don't bother to differentiate in their hate, lose that DETAIL, and just hate anyone not like themselves. (hint: anyone not white)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2017, 01:29 PM

Like the JPL employee who was forced to give the passcode to his secure, government issue phone.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2017, 03:11 PM

Technically, JPL managed by the California Institute of Technology, and isn't actually run like part of NASA.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2017, 03:33 PM

That's a semantic argument that side steps the issue.

But I think it should be noted border and customs have been doing this shit since long before Trump. I remember someone had their laptop seized at the Canadian border under the Obama administration.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2017, 12:19 AM

Interesting to know either way, thanks Badkosh. So is a CIT phone a government phone?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Feb 17, 2017, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
There is no problem with LEGAL immigration. Undocumented/ILLEGALs are another story. A detail lost on many.
Yup, that's a detail that is lost on many people who treat legal immigrants like illegal ones, as if they don't belong.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2017, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That's a semantic argument that side steps the issue.

But I think it should be noted border and customs have been doing this shit since long before Trump. I remember someone had their laptop seized at the Canadian border under the Obama administration.
As an aside, you have no 4th Amendment rights at a border checkpoint. Customs may confiscate any electronic devices, and take them offsite with the intent of hacking into them. Note they can also take your fingerprints.

The EFF advises wiping your electronics before border crossings. Like with a cloth.

OreoCookie
Feb 17, 2017, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
As an aside, you have no 4th Amendment rights at a border checkpoint.
The scary thing is that this holds also for citizens and permanent residents.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2017, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Interesting to know either way, thanks Badkosh. So is a CIT phone a government phone?
It depends on what organization they are in. Some are gov't provided, some are CIT. They have different IT support folks. The IT NASA folks handle the computers, phones and such.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2017, 09:54 AM

Seems to backfire every time. So they are staying away from work? Replace them. Away from schools? Zero for a test grade. So much for being reliable. Lets look into the businesses affected, and see just how many false/fake/stolen Social Security numbers they have.

In Prince William County VA. they tried this and rest of the locals said it was great, to get to order in English, and not have the drama.
This is really quite horrible by the way.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2017, 12:38 PM

What? That they are giving us a bad impression of them? Soros funded protests are getting old, and obvious.

andi*pandi
Feb 17, 2017, 01:04 PM

You can't keep hitching things to Soros's name so you can dismiss them. Even Soros doesn't have this kind of money to pay all these people. If he did he should just buy a private island and let the world burn. I never got paid for the Women's March, no one else got paid. It's the card you play for a convenient excuse to ignore something, and it's tiresome when you play it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2017, 01:08 PM

Badkosh must have been paid by Trump to say everything he ever says.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2017, 01:55 PM

I actually wish I knew enough Spanish to order food with it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2017, 03:04 PM

So, did this backfire?

andi*pandi
Feb 17, 2017, 03:39 PM

For whom?
Did the protesters actually amass enough to impact the conservative voter into thinking, hey, wait, Alonzo wasn't at work today, I miss that guy? He's a good coworker, where'd he go?

Not that I can see.

Did the conservative news get to report on a bunch of firings, riots, and bad grades being handed out to bad hombre troublemakers?

Not that I can see.

I guess the point goes to the protest for getting in the news and raising some awareness, if not at a higher level.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2017, 03:40 PM

Didn't notice, all of the immigrants we employ came to work.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

andi*pandi
Feb 17, 2017, 03:42 PM

What would have been your move if some had called out sick yesterday?

My husband worked yesterday. Snow days have played havoc on his job. Then again, unless you knew his story you'd never know he was an immigrant.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2017, 04:11 PM

We would have sent "get well" wishes and offered to send over soup and/or medicine, like we normally do when people are sick.

andi*pandi
Feb 17, 2017, 04:25 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2017, 04:40 PM

It's the difference between showing love for your people and simply using them. Most likely that's why none called in sick (usually getting them to stay home when they're legitimately ill is what's difficult).

One of my mechanics, an eastern bloc immigrant, got in trouble in Germany (mistaken identity) while organizing a car/parts shipment for us and was arrested. My attorney and I were on a plane to get him within a few hours and had it all sorted out in less than a day. While that level of dedication to your employees isn't always possible, doing whatever you can creates amazing loyalty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules