Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The 5s Thread

The 5s Thread
subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 03:06 AM

Surprisingly smooth ordering process via the Apple Store App. Done by 12:03 Pacific.

Cold Warrior
Sep 20, 2013, 03:22 AM

Same for verizon's site, in and out. Vzw quoted 9/24 shipping, although I noticed the apple store site says 1-3 days right now.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 03:27 AM

T-Mobile Germany quoted me four to five weeks for the gold 64GB. :/

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 20, 2013, 05:59 AM

Jet-lagged, so I was up at 2:20am CST anyway. Gold iPhone 5s 16GB, Apple said ships in "October," Verizon said ships Sept 24. Ordered from Verizon.

Thorzdad
Sep 20, 2013, 09:46 AM

P
Sep 20, 2013, 10:06 AM

As soon as anyone gets one, I'd love some reactions on how responsive it is in general use. I'd like it back to what my iPhone 4 was on iOS 4, and AFAICT, not even the 5 could do that on iOS 6.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2013, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
As soon as anyone gets one, I'd love some reactions on how responsive it is in general use. I'd like it back to what my iPhone 4 was on iOS 4, and AFAICT, not even the 5 could do that on iOS 6.
Here's what you are looking for:

First Impressions: I've Fallen Hard For The iPhone 5s | Cult of Mac

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 04:32 PM

I'm failing to see the 64-bit architecture advantage. Maybe in 5 years?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 06:32 PM

Read the anandtech review of the iPhone 5s.

There are a number of benefits to 64-bit architecture, in some cases quite noticeable performance advantages.

The main reason, though, is that developers get the message to develop for 64-bit architecture. By the time iOS devices become powerful enough to require it (anand reckons they'll have 4 GB RAM by 2015), developers will already have moved over.

One thing of note from the anandtech review is that the iPhone 5s has computing power roughly equivalent to a first-generation MacBook Air.

Holy shit.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 08:55 PM

The first gen MBA was a dog.

I'm not as bullish as Anand on 4GB RAM. Too much battery suck. If batteries weren't already way outstripped by the current SoTA, maybe, but as it stands we'd need some form of new battery technology.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 21, 2013, 04:03 AM

16GB 5s in Gold from Verizon is now pushed out to Nov 4 for shipping. White and black are Oct 14th. Glad I got my order in.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2013, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The first gen MBA was a dog.
Mostly because of the thermal throttling and the slow hard drive, though.

Still amazing.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2013, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
16GB 5s in Gold from Verizon is now pushed out to Nov 4 for shipping. White and black are Oct 14th. Glad I got my order in.

Checked my Verizon order status. Now they're saying it will ship on Oct 14th.

Order confirmation email:

Now:

TheMacMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2013, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Just got back from the Apple store with a gray 5s. It's restoring now. It's a fantastic device. I love the new iPhone. It's fast, touch ID works flawlessly and it's freakin fast! It's going to be my main computing platform. iOS 7 is absolutely sick and is very fast.
Hearing about it and seeing pictures just does not do justice at all. Way to go Apple and the innovation continues for you wall street morons.

Cold Warrior
Sep 23, 2013, 09:42 PM

I guess I lucked out--my verizon white 5s shipped today, delivers Wednesday.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2013, 11:30 PM

It's here! It's here!

Unboxing:

Thumbprint works, won't work for my other fingers.

Snappie.

It is space alien grey and not black.

Looking for something to slo-mo.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 01:48 AM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 02:41 AM

New game:

Come up with as many frivolous reasons to lock your phone and unlock it with the thumbprint scanner as possible.

Less frivolous:

I'd say it doesn't register only 1 time in 100, though it can be slower at some times than others. I'm guessing I'll get used to unlocking it while it's coming out of my pocket.

Cold Warrior
Sep 28, 2013, 07:00 AM

Make sure to use enough of your finger to basically envelop the whole button and silver ring.

Mine is great, Touch ID is really awesome. The OS update from 7.0.1 to 7.0.2 did take me through a few screens of new phone setup--find iphone, iTunes login--and that was a little disconcerting, but everything else was fine.

Slo mo is very cool.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 02:58 PM

I meant the prints from my other fingers wouldn't activate because their print is different than my thumbprint, not that it couldn't be trained to use them.

Sorry. That was unclear.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 03:16 PM

They very carefully lit and edited the product photos* to make the thumbprint scanner look nicely integrated with the bezel.

In reality, it looks a little cheesy. It's a very plastic looking button surrounded by glass and metal.

*Not a surprise in and of itself.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 03:24 PM

Also, when it comes to registering a print, it doesn't make it clear that a vibration is a good thing. That means it's registered and wants you to reposition again.

First time through I thought the vibration was me doing it wrong.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 03:29 PM

Continuing my complaints about the thumbprint sensor, I assume because of all kinds of new circuitry attached to the button, it has a very mushy travel, and an unsatisfying chiclet "click" at the end.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2013, 03:53 PM

All sounds pretty petty to me, but to each their own. What I like is I can save multiple prints. Since at times I pick the phone up with my left hand I'd rather use that thumb to unlock than my right thumbprint in this case. So what I did was have both my thumbprints saved so that way I can unlock the phone with whichever hand I pick the thing up with.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 04:48 PM

Petty would be saying these are reasons not to buy it, no?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 05:50 PM

Still a little hard to untrain my swipe to unlock maneuver.

Cold Warrior
Sep 28, 2013, 08:34 PM

I didn't take the print vibration that way. When registering the print area 'grows' with each valid print and vibration. A bad placement subtracts from the print area and I think it says try again.

The home button is covered with sapphire crystal. It feels solid and looks perfectly integrated. I don't notice a difference in their photos.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 08:42 PM

It depends on what you mean by "integrate".

There's, not like a gap or anything, but it has a distinctly different reflective properties than everything else.

I didn't get that impression at all from the product shots. They make it look like the reflective qualities of the home key match the bezel.

In reality, the bezel reflects like black tinted glass, and the button reflects (IME) like plastic.

The travel is unquestionably mushy compared to my 5.

Cold Warrior
Sep 28, 2013, 09:21 PM

I have a white one, it looks the same to me, but I recall you got the black one.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 09:57 PM

That makes sense. I'll try to do a phone selfie to show what I mean.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2013, 03:11 AM

Selfie was harder than I thought, and I'm too lazy to drag out the DSLR.

Here's a Verge product shot:

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2013, 06:44 AM

To be clear, I think this would have bothered me less if it was visible in the "official" shots. Those shots made me expect something which wasn't delivered, and I feel it was intentional.

No real biggie, just not the low-rent move I expect from Apple.

Cold Warrior
Sep 29, 2013, 08:24 AM

ok, I definitely see your point.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2013, 09:24 AM

I've been saying "bezel", but I think I mean "fascia".

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2013, 11:19 AM

Also, if it wasn't clear, I love the shit out of the thumbprint scanner. The 5s is a really nice piece of hardware.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2013, 02:51 PM

I'd think the fingerprint would be easier to read as it is with a groove. Since you can 'feel' if your finger covers the entire contact area, making it a more accurate scan of your print. Had it been level you'd have the issue of having to look at the phone to make sure you have covered the correct contact area.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2013, 08:44 PM

I'm not sure you are talking to me, but if you are, this has nothing to do with "level". It's that they're two entirely different materials which are touched-up on promo material to appear as the same material.

In the promo shots, the only way to tell there's a button is the bevel. In reality, as the photo above shows, they're clearly made of different materials. The fascia and the button are both reflecting the same thing at the camera, but it's clear the button is reflecting more.

Cold Warrior
Sep 29, 2013, 09:20 PM

In bright light I can see a very slight difference now in the white's material, but I had to look for it for a while after you mentioned it with your black one.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2013, 09:29 PM

That makes sense. Mirror-like reflections are easier to pick up against a black background. You really can't miss it on the black.

Sorry if I pointed out something you can't unsee now.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2013, 11:12 PM

Got my 5s.

Touch ID is awesome.

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2013, 12:09 AM

It's obnoxious iOS 7 won't let me reuse my pin code as a non simple passcode. I was hoping to add that layer of obfuscation since I almost never have to type it anymore. Yet another (theoretical) benefit of TID.

Can't for the life of me figure out what added security I get by not letting me reuse my password on my own frigging device.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2013, 01:25 AM

Simple workaround. Changed the pin code to a different number. Then it let me do it. This is helping how again?

Of course, it refuses to accept a non-simple passcode can be a four digit number. Thanks for helping.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 1, 2013, 09:15 AM

For us non-5S users, what's the PIN code versus the passcode? Is it a credential to allow the user to change the TID-allowed users?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2013, 09:31 AM

That has nothing to do with the 5s.

GSM SIM cards have has PINs for decades - if a PIN is set on a SIM card (it is stored on the card itself), entry is required in order to access the cellular network on that account when a phone is powered on.
Transferring the card into a different phone will still require entry of that same PIN.
So a stolen card can be less easily used to rack up insane charges to pay-per-minute services.

The phone passcode is a completely separate entity.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2013, 02:59 PM

My bad. I called it a PIN when it really isn't.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2013, 08:49 PM

I came from a 4s, picked a 64 GB gray 5s up at the Apple Store in Santa Rosa, CA (~10 min. wait) on day one.

I am slammed at work and iOS 7 has not been my friend because right now I just want to use the damn phone, not learn new tricks. But I love it anyway.

That said, the 5s is FAST, amazingly FAST. Between LTE (new to me), iOS 7, A7, M7 and Apple's typically excellent OS/hardware integration the new phone is really FAST.

Real-world in-hand operation presents at least as FAST as Anand's spectacular test results suggest.

Note too that Siri's performance for me is an order of magnitude improved, but of course I do not know which parts of LTE, iOS 7, A7, M7 deserve the most credit for that.

Cold Warrior
Oct 1, 2013, 09:03 PM

Siri has been horrible for me in iOS 7 on my 5 and 5s.

P
Oct 2, 2013, 12:09 PM

Just one short point about just how fast the A7 is:

AnandTech | Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Review

The review is about the Note 3, a "Phablet" or shrunk tablet as I prefer to think of it. The dedicated benchmarks aren't useful as they're Android apps that don't run on the iPhone, and Samsung was revealed as cheating on them anyway, but look at the browser tests. The iPhone uses a 1.3 GHz dualcore. The Note uses a 2.3 GHz quadcore Snapdragon 800 - the fastest model in that series - and given the large chassis, it in all likelihood has a much higher TDP to work with as well. The iPhone beats the Note in every test. It has half as many cores and barely more than half the clockspeed, and it wins. Even if you assume that the browser tests are all single-threaded, the A7 is roughly twice as efficient as the best the Android makers can deliver. This is nothing short of amazing.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

hyperating
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2013, 05:03 PM

Fun article! Looking forward to getting mine.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2013, 05:15 PM

It's the gigahertz myth!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules