Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > mouse tracking

mouse tracking
doubtingtom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2004, 09:24 AM

I have searched this forum and didn't find anything on this which makes me think that it must have something to do with my particular setup since it is so common someone should have noticed it before. However, if others shout this to be true for them maybe this should be moved to the 10.3 bug thread.

10.3 doesn't remember mouse tracking speeds.

I have a 12in Powerbook (DVI). I run it closed hooked up to a 17 DVI monitor, and an Apple keyboard plugged into the USB port. I then have a Kensington portable mouse (the kind where the cord retracts) plugged into the keyboard USB port.

When I go into System Preferences and click on pane: Keyboard/Mouse:Mouse, I can set the tracking and sure enough the mouse tracks correctly.

But! Then if click outside of System Preferences the mouse slows back down to its default state! Click back on the slider and BAM, fast again, click outside SysPref and BAM, slow again. Just like that, though I added the BAMs.

I don't think my hardware is that unusual, however again I'm really surprised this hasn't been mentioned by someone before, but maybe I missed it (though to avoid being flamed I searched twice using different terms).
12 Powerbook rev. B
17 LCD

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2004, 01:00 PM

Have you tried repairing permissions?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2004, 02:55 PM

Make sure you have the ignore trackpad while typing unchecked. There is a bug in OS X Panther (or was?) that makes the system think the track pad is an Kensington mouse or something like that (am I right?). Anyway Kensington is aware about this problem and is waiting for Apple to fix the issue. However this is an driver issue, and you haven't mentioned if you use the Kensington driver or not.
Neither does your problem sound all that similar with the issue I've mentioned. But I'd just let you know if you didn't.
BTW: There seem to be some special issues regarding the driver and Panther mentioned on versiontracker, with problems very different from what I've mentioned above. One of the programmers at Kensington replayed that none of the things mentioned was known problems to them, and they wanted everyone with driver issues to contact them directly so they can investigate in this issues a few people are experiencing.

Sorry about the crappy english, yo.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2004, 02:59 PM

BTW: I have the same mouse.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

egg
Feb 1, 2004, 07:57 AM

i've the same problem with a microsoft optical usb mouse... works fine when making the speed selection.... then drops down to slow afterwards...

:-(

help!

Forum Links
Forum Rules