Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > VT's G5 Cluster Upgrade...

VT's G5 Cluster Upgrade...
doubtingtom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 03:47 AM

Does anyone else think the Virginia Tech has the world's biggest case of upgraditis?

What's it been, 3 months? Tops! I mean it isn't even a new processor, just a new enclosure.

I always thought they were foolish for not waiting for the G5 Xserve. Especially when you see how massive the room has to be. But, man oh man, that is one expensive upgrade. I kept my TiBook 400 for only two and half years before getting a 12 inch PB (DVI) and I thought I had a little bit of upgraditits, but by comparison this makes me look like a luddite.
12 Powerbook rev. B
17 LCD

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 04:13 AM

It was part of the plan. they had agreed with apple to buy g5 xserves long before they installed the powermacs.
Aloha

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 06:24 AM

Apple are taking the G5S back and giving them a special deal.

The problem revolves around heat, and more importantly the lack of EEC memory on the Powemacs... Not important on desktops, but critical for a supercomputer.

It was meaning that the cluster could not be used for calculations lasting over about 1 hour with any kind of accuracy.

Peace,

Marc

doubtingtom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 07:08 AM

I have no doubt the Xserve makes a much better cluster and has numerous benefits over a room full of the beast-size cases. But I had read (and I for sure could be wrong) that they were going to find a "good home" for those desktops. And "they" are not Apple but VT.

So, what was the plan? Isn't that a stiff price to pay for a couple of months of supercomputing power considering those G5's won't fetch near the price they paid for them?
12 Powerbook rev. B
17 LCD

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2004, 09:40 AM

I'd love to get my hands on one of these now "famous" G5's if Apple is going to refurb them out the door at a good price...

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2004, 12:22 AM

Smaller form factor, lower power requirements, ECC memory, more tolerant chips. They'll probably recoup the cost of upgrading in the lower power bill alone.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2004, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by iNub:
Smaller form factor, lower power requirements, ECC memory, more tolerant chips. They'll probably recoup the cost of upgrading in the lower power bill alone.
no joke. Especially in not just the machines, but that fancy cooling system they installed to cool the room.

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 02:50 AM

One of the reasons (maybe the only reason) for going with the G5 was the need to make the supercomputer list by a certain date. Making the list = money. Therefore for a pittance they make the list by using the G5, and then upgrade to something better, the XServe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules