Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Got my Dual 2.3 today...

Got my Dual 2.3 today...
RyanSA4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2005, 07:25 PM

This thing is AMAZING!!!! Previous computer was a Dell 8100 P4 1.4ghz w/128mb ram, this is the families computer. I have always loved my twin brothers 17" PowerBook and always wanted an Apple but never had the money (I'm 19 and spend all my money on my car, school, gas, and insurance) But i finally decided to buy the G5 instead of putting the money into my car.

Specs:
Dual 2.3 G5 PowerMac
512mb ram (I have 2gb's right next to me still in its fedex package but I'm having too much fun on this thing to put them in.)
ATI 9650
Airport w/ Extreme base station
250gb hd
Dell 2405FWP 24" LCD

Ipod Mini-silver (freeafter rebate)

Don't laugh I am planning on getting a desk just haven't found one I like. Also I need to get some speakers because I don't know how long I can stand the little one in the G5.
Here are some pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/icebreakergoalie
The 17"PB and 26" sony LCD are my brothers

msb0014
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2005, 07:36 PM

Congrads, I got my Dual 2.3 last week. I had an iMac G4 800 and it was aged!! Good luck!

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2005, 08:37 PM

Nice.
I just ordered the dell 24 myself
how you like

thinking of a dual G5 too

RyanSA4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2005, 10:16 PM

This LCD is awesome. You are going to love it! It takes me hours to get my mouse from one end of the screen to the other. Ok that was a little exaggerated but you get the idea. ..haha ... this thing is HUGE! The color is great. Also I have watched some movies on it while waiting for my G5 to arrive and it's great. I watched Ice Age there is no ghosting at all the picture is crisp and clean.

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2005, 01:35 AM

bless you my son,
You know how it is ordering sight unseen online,
Have Fun

robisconfusedd
Oct 14, 2005, 09:01 AM

good taste in cars!!!

and psh you dont need a desk, looks great
BimmerForums - the forum for the ultimate driving machine.

::12" of pure joy::
1Ghz G4, 1.25GB ram

d.fine
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2005, 10:23 AM

Congrats! Looks like you really do need a desk

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Markarian421
Oct 15, 2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by RyanSA4
Specs:
Dual 2.3 G5 PowerMac
512mb ram (I have 2gb's right next to me still in its fedex package but I'm having too much fun on this thing to put them in.)
250gb hd
Dell 2405FWP 24" LCD
Pretty much the same setup I went with in June (bought the monitor maybe a month later), except I got the cheaper video card with the plan to upgrade to an X850 when it came out. (About 3 days after I ordered the X850 became a BTO option, but still isn't available retail. Argh!)

I love the monitor, it's the best LCD I've ever used, and it's huge. Way brighter than most LCDs even at the default 50% -- I can leave the window open now. I don't use it for TV all that much, but haven't had any complaints when I have.

Oh, and the computer is great too. Install the memory, only 0.5 G in this machine is a crime!

Also I need to get some speakers because I don't know how long I can stand the little one in the G5.
Dell hardy makes this clear on the web site (I had to call) but they make a speaker you can connect to the bottom of the monitor. They don't sound bad for cheap computer speakers -- don't get me wrong, they are nothing spectacular, but more than good enough if I want to hear my computer without headphones (like watching a video with a few people in the room). If the room is often loud, they might not be loud enough, I often have them turned all the way up. They do sound a lot better, and are considerably louder, than the speakers on my wife's PowerBook.
Known to cause insanity in laboratory mice

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2005, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Markarian421
Dell hardy makes this clear on the web site (I had to call) but they make a speaker you can connect to the bottom of the monitor. They don't sound bad for cheap computer speakers -- don't get me wrong, they are nothing spectacular, but more than good enough if I want to hear my computer without headphones (like watching a video with a few people in the room). If the room is often loud, they might not be loud enough, I often have them turned all the way up. They do sound a lot better, and are considerably louder, than the speakers on my wife's PowerBook.
The little below-monitor speaker isn't meant to be used alone, it's the center channel of a larger 5.1 setup.

RyanSA4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2005, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Markarian421
Oh, and the computer is great too. Install the memory, only 0.5 G in this machine is a crime!
I put 2gb's in the next day and this thing flys! I was suprised how much pressure it took to put the new chips in. I have read some posts on here saying that it took some pressure but I wasn't expecting that much.

Forum Links
Forum Rules