Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How much will the 3g cost me (per month)?

How much will the 3g cost me (per month)?
Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2008, 02:45 PM

Monthly, what can I expect ATT to charge for 2 3gs on the same plan (one for me, one for my wife).

Incidentally, my T-Mobile plan expires right around the same time the 3g will be available, but I may wish to remain with T-Mobile. I've heard some people unlock the original iPhone and use it on T-Mobile. Will this be possible with the 3g? (And how would I go about doing it-- I heard the 3g must be activated in-store...) If so, how much would T-Mobile charge as opposed to ATT?
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2008, 03:13 PM

I think it will be techinically possible to unlock a 3g iphone but as you said Apple and AT&T will now require in-store activation so it really won't matter.

I don't think the total monthly cost is known. It's pretty established that the plans will cost $10 per month more than the 2g plan prices but there is a rumor that text messaging will not be included--even with the higher price so that will be another *potential* additional cost.

The total cost also depends upon whatever the taxes and surcharges are for your area. I know in NY, these taxes are quite substantial but I don't know about California. The 3g iphone will not be a cheap toy to maintain.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2008, 03:18 PM

There's too many unknowns at this point to provide an accurate cost picture. The problem is that the iPhone is not out yet and so any answers are just idle speculation.

With the need to activate in-store negates your option to then unlock and use it for t-mobile. Also the unlocking procedures for the old phones will not work with the new phone, presumably.

In my opinion the safest bet is to avoid unlocking it, if problems arise and apple sees it was jail broken they'll not honor the warranty.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2008, 03:27 PM

Well, the cheapest phone plan with AT&T is $39.99/month. If the data part is an additional $30/month, you're looking at a minimum of $69.99/month.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 03:59 PM

They have not released family plan details yet so no one knows.

there are a lot of unknowns at this point... and I doubt we are going to have all the facts until right before the release, so we'll all just have to be patient.

It will probably be more then $30 but less then $60.

Last time they had a plan that was $109 for 700 minutes split between two people. If I was a bettin' man, I would bet that it's going to go up to $129.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 04:49 PM

I think it's a wait and see issue, but I'd side with ort888's bet of $129 for two, perhaps even $10 more if you wanted messaging.

My T-Mobile contract expired a while ago, so I'm eager to sign up. The thought of $129 (possibly $139) versus my current $98 is a bit of a bummer though.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2008, 02:15 PM

Well it seems the consensus here is that the cost is at least $100-130 for both phones, data plan, etc. I've never had a "smartphone," hat seems relatively reasonable. (I personally won't text message so whether or not that is included doesn't matter to me.)

It also seems that for this round with the 3g, I might as well drop T-Mobile and sign up with ATT.

If possible, I'm definitely going to get my iPhones at the Apple store. (For two reasons: First, I can avoid ATT employees. Second: The Apple Store is closer to my house.) Does anyone know if I will have to sign a term-of-years contract with ATT?

I'm really excited about this. As a current .Mac customer, the best selling point for me on the iPhone is MobileMe. I think they should offer a discount - and I think it would benefit them to do so - for customers that have both a MobileMe account and an iPhone on ATT.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2008, 02:33 PM

I think ort888 has it pegged, too. I think it'll be their normal family plan prices, plus $30 per line for the data. And the lowest-price family plan is $69.99 for 2 lines. So add the $60 for the data, and you're at $129.99. I assume that messaging won't be included, just like with individual plans.

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2008, 09:55 PM

10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post

Boom!

Spamâ„¢!

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2008, 10:45 PM

This is the Family Plan pricing. And text messages are no longer included.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2008, 10:52 PM

Does anyone know if the unlimited SMSs on the family plan get shared across all lines, or is it just unlimited for the iPhone's phone number?

dennett
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2008, 01:13 AM

Will my wife and I be able to buy 2 iPhones for $199 each if I sign up for the family plan with both phones?? Our Verizon contracts are nearly up and we both want iPhones!

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Does anyone know if the unlimited SMSs on the family plan get shared across all lines, or is it just unlimited for the iPhone's phone number?
It says that it is $30 per month for unlimited texting as part of the iPhone's family plan. I think if you pay $30 per month (plus the crazy fees and surcharges that will magically appear on your bill as well) for unlimited texting on a family plan, I'd say it better be for every line!
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by dennett View Post
Will my wife and I be able to buy 2 iPhones for $199 each if I sign up for the family plan with both phones?? Our Verizon contracts are nearly up and we both want iPhones!
No kidding. That's what I need to know. I say it should be that way. There's nothing I've read so far that says you can't get two iPhones for $199.

This could be a deal-breaker for me. If I bought an iPhone for myself, and not my wife...
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post
No kidding. That's what I need to know. I say it should be that way. There's nothing I've read so far that says you can't get two iPhones for $199.

This could be a deal-breaker for me. If I bought an iPhone for myself, and not my wife...
No, each line on a family plan gets its own contract, so each one will be eligible for the subsidized price.

dennett
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
No, each line on a family plan gets its own contract, so each one will be eligible for the subsidized price.
Thanks, that's what we were hoping to hear!

Poppakap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2008, 01:20 PM

In all of your experiences how has AT&T been when you wanted to change your plan around during the contract period? I'm having trouble figuring what I will be using and may need to upgrade/downgrade my minutes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules