Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook for $1000 AR w/ Shipping and No Tax???

MacBook for $1000 AR w/ Shipping and No Tax???
TimothyJay
May 18, 2006, 08:50 AM

Hey fellow MacBook enthusiasts!

I was told by a friend of mine this morning of a the 1.8ghz MacBook model for $1000 AR w/ free shipping and no tax at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...82317?n=541966

I don't know if you guys know, but it might be an interest to some.

TimothyJay

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2006, 09:47 AM

Yes, it's a great deal, but here is the link to the page without the referral link you posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EPJNHW

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 10:18 AM

I'm new to Mac stuff, but this sure confuses me. I'm paying way too much by buying direct from Apple. I thought cutting out the middle man was s'posed to be a good thing.!?!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2006, 10:33 AM

I'm not sure how Amazon does it, frankly. Apple resellers generally don't offer much in the way of discounts, but they will often include a "free" printer, memory upgrade, or battery to entice customers. The only reason (in my estimation) to buy directly from Apple is if you want a custom configuration or if you want a machine that has just been released and may be in short supply. Also, if you have an Apple Store near you, buying from Apple allows you to see the machines and talk to someone in person before making a purchase. But overall, I recommend buying online from someplace else.

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 11:11 AM

Macmall is offering a $100 rebate and no tax on the MB. I called Apple to ask and they gave me a decent discount. But it still wasn't as good as the $215 I'd be saving by going to Macmall. Mainly because of the tax.

dahcar
May 18, 2006, 11:17 AM

Apple has student discounts. I got my MBP for $1700, which was the cheapest I could find anywhere. Sorry, I'm too lazy to look up the prices for you.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Heavy
Macmall is offering a $100 rebate and no tax on the MB. I called Apple to ask and they gave me a decent discount. But it still wasn't as good as the $215 I'd be saving by going to Macmall. Mainly because of the tax.
You only save $100 on the top-of-the-line black MacBook. It's only $50 on the low-end white model, compared to $100 from Amazon.

As for education discounts, it may vary depending on your school, but they are rarely better than Amazon's prices, since you have to pay sales tax.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 11:52 AM

Amazon also will not charge you tax (unless you live in the state they operate from wherever that is).....

that alone is a significant savings over what Apple will charge you. (Apple has to collect tax as they have retail operations in almost every state now).

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
You only save $100 on the top-of-the-line black MacBook. It's only $50 on the low-end white model, compared to $100 from Amazon.

As for education discounts, it may vary depending on your school, but they are rarely better than Amazon's prices, since you have to pay sales tax.

NO. You are forgetting about tax and rebate together. Approx. $100 for each for what I ordered.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2006, 12:10 PM

What? Amazon doesn't charge tax either...

nickw311
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 02:54 PM

Why wont that show up when I search Amazon? I want the 2 ghz model with the DVD burner...
27" iMac C2D

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 03:11 PM

how amazon does it >>> venture capitalists give them money.

Also, they make tons of money from third party sellers and from scamming people on Amazon Prime.

masugu
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Yakov
how amazon does it >>> venture capitalists give them money.

Also, they make tons of money from third party sellers and from scamming people on Amazon Prime.
Umm... Amazon is publicly held.

Atticus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 04:32 PM

I order a macbook from amazon early this morning, the it gave me an estimated ship date of July 24, more than two months from now. Now I know Amazon usually doesn't ship until the Apple itself is well stocked, but is this a realistic estimate? How long were the delays for other product launch from Apple?

Thorts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=NYCFarmboy]Amazon also will not charge you tax (unless you live in the state they operate from wherever that is).....

That state is Washington. I live in Seattle, so it's another 8.6%.

Porco
May 18, 2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ak3183
I order a macbook from amazon early this morning, the it gave me an estimated ship date of July 24, more than two months from now. Now I know Amazon usually doesn't ship until the Apple itself is well stocked, but is this a realistic estimate? How long were the delays for other product launch from Apple?

That estimate is way off. Amazon estimates are based on when they feel the latest their stock would come in. Don't be surprised if it ships tomorrow. They did that to me with my MBP.

flukewurm
May 18, 2006, 06:29 PM

i jumped on this deal like a rabid dog on some smaller mammal.

nickw311
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 07:22 PM

Yeah the last thing I ordered from Amazon came in like 3 days and they predicted almost 2 weeks.
27" iMac C2D

money69
May 18, 2006, 07:27 PM

Does anyone know if you can get a bigger harddrive installed if I was to order from say macmall. I want to get a 80 gig HD in the base model. Anyone know if this is possible? Also, Isnt their price after rebate, whats the up front price?

Forum Links
Forum Rules