Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 10.2.4 and iBook

10.2.4 and iBook
Scooterboy
Senior User
Feb 14, 2003, 03:23 AM

Under 10.2.3, my iBook (600 12.1" Combo) seemed to take almost a whole minute to sleep after closing the lid or selecting sleep from the Apple menu. Now, after installing the 10.2.4 update, my iBook sleeps almost immediately (1 second) after closing the lid. Fair play to Apple for at least sorting that nagging little problem.

Wake up from sleep is instant, as well.

So far, so good, this 10.2.4!

Any other 10.2.4 experiences, good or bad?
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2003, 04:57 AM

it fails to resolve the combo drive issue. i still can't get CDRs and CDRWs to be recognized at anything faster than 4x speed.

-r.

galarneau
Senior User
Feb 14, 2003, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
it fails to resolve the combo drive issue. i still can't get CDRs and CDRWs to be recognized at anything faster than 4x speed.

-r.
Agreed. I had hoped 10.2.4 would address this issue, but disappointment once again. I've been hassling Apple Australia for 2.5 months about this problem, and they aren't doing sh*t. I've decided to never buy a new Apple again. I'll buy a used machine, but Apple is never getting MY money again. (Unless the PPC 970 really kicks ass!!!)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2003, 10:17 AM

I know someone with an 800 14.1 Combo that had the same CDR problems. However, he was able to fix it. If you have toast, boot into OS 9 and burn a disc there. After that (at least for him) every disc in X burned at full speed...

Dunno if this can help everyone, but try it if you can...

cww
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2003, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Scooterboy:
Under 10.2.3, my iBook (600 12.1" Combo) seemed to take almost a whole minute to sleep after closing the lid or selecting sleep from the Apple menu. Now, after installing the 10.2.4 update, my iBook sleeps almost immediately (1 second) after closing the lid. Fair play to Apple for at least sorting that nagging little problem.

I've never heard of this problem of it taking so long to sleep, and I've never had it. Weird.

10.2.4 brings nothing new for me...oh well.
Backpack: Late 2001 iBook 12.1" | 600 MHz | 128 + 256 MB RAM | 15 GB HD | DVD-ROM | Jaguar
Left Pocket: iPod | 5 GB

buzzedtop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2003, 03:11 PM

I had the "takes a long time to sleep problem" too. Usually this is simply a software issue. Sometimes software that is running (sometimes in the background) will cause OS X to take a long time to sleep. For me it was Norton. As soon as I removed Norton... sleep went back to almost instant. With Norton: took .5-1 minutes. Norton is crap.

Originally posted by Scooterboy:

-Q-
Feb 14, 2003, 06:11 PM

So far so good and 10.2.4 finally fixed that ultra annoying moving desktop bug. That was worth the update alone for me.

However, I would like my CD issue resolved. I'll boot into 9 and see what happens....

-Q-
Feb 14, 2003, 07:40 PM

The CD burn suggestion didn't work. I think I'll haul it down to the Apple Store and see what they can do in person...

Forum Links
Forum Rules