Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Just ordered my new iMac!!

Just ordered my new iMac!!
newportnews
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2003, 12:12 AM

After looking long and hard at a dual 2 Ghz Powermac and then realizing that it would cost me over $3000 once I added a 17 inch display (I have an ADC discount as a student) and that the most strenuous thing I would be using it for is iDVD which I hear it can handle... so here is what I got instead:

iMac 1 GHZ 17" TFT
80 GB HD
256 MB RAM
Superdrive
Bluetooth Module

iPod 15 GB

Apple 4X DVD-R 5 Pack

SmartDisk Compact Flash Reader

All for a grand total (after taxes) of: $1916.48

I also ordered a 512 MB RAM stick from Memory Solutions for $81 shipped... so basically for everything I spent under 2 grand.

I am a little that I am not getting a dual 2 gig G5 but maybe in 2-3 years I'll pick up a dual 4 gig for the same price.

cww
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2003, 05:24 AM

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy your iMac (and iPod) very much.
Backpack: Late 2001 iBook 12.1" | 600 MHz | 128 + 256 MB RAM | 15 GB HD | DVD-ROM | Jaguar
Left Pocket: iPod | 5 GB

bstieritz
Jun 30, 2003, 03:06 PM

Nice setup . . .

you should feel good about your decision to go with the imac. It seems you're getting a bit more bang for your buck, too (screen, acessories, etc.).

You'll have to post your first impressions of the machine when it finally arrives.

congrats!!

cheers,
brian

tacojohnellenich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2003, 11:00 AM

I think I'm going to be in the same situation next year. I would like a new G5 w/ wide display. I'm a student so I would like to take advantage of the ADC discount before I graduate.

I don't think I'm going to be able to afford a dual G5 w/ 20" display- so I'm telling myself that maybe the powerbook G5 will be out by then and I'll pick up the 15" version for around $2500 maybe.

I already have an iPod and Airport Extreme basestation w/ an older iBook 500. The iBook is starting to show its age, but I'm going to have to hold out until next year. I just don't want to buy before a huge chip change or something.

Congrats on the new iMac anyway. They're nice machines!

Forum Links
Forum Rules