Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Pwermac 8500 Questtion

Pwermac 8500 Questtion
tdvorak
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2004, 06:25 PM

What is the newest OS I can put on a Mac 8500. I don't want OS X, I know it won't run.

2 G4 PowerBooks
1 FP iMac
1 B&W G3

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 07:19 PM

OS X will run on it, via XPostFacto. otherwise, your guess is as good as mine. why not trying to install OS 9 on it?

Dex13
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by tdvorak:
What is the newest OS I can put on a Mac 8500. I don't want OS X, I know it won't run.
Mac OS 9.1

:edit:

In response to spiky

I have no clue why you would put OS X on it, it would be worse than putting OS X on a gumdrop.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2004, 08:21 PM

Since you have plenty of OS X capable machines don't bother trying to install X on the 8500. It can be done but its not easy and not worth the time.
If you have 64mb of RAM or less I would stick with OS8.6 becuase it uses less resources. But 9.1 will run on it just fine. 128mb of RAM (or more) while not needed will make it run smoother.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

tdvorak  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2004, 10:54 PM

Like I said in my original post... I am NOT going to put OS X on the 8500. Thanks for your replies.

2 G4 PowerBooks
1 FP iMac
1 B&W G3

Ra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by tdvorak:
You can install Mac OS 9.1 from a Mac OS 9.1 CD (boot the machine using Mac OS 9.1 CD to install OS 9.1). You can't install Mac OS 9.2.1, nor Mac OS 9.2.2 on your computer. But....

But there is great news for those of us who use an older Mac: Mac OS9 Helper allows you to install Mac OS 9.2.1, and 9.2.2.

However, in order for "Mac OS9 Helper" to install OS 9.2.1 or 9.2.2, you must first install Mac OS 9.1. To install Mac OS 9.1, you must boot the computer from the Mac OS 9.1 CD, and that's the easy part.

Since Mac OS 9.2.2 is a vast improvement over earlier versions, I decided to use "Mac OS9 Helper" to perform the installation on my Mac 7300, and it has been running flawlessly for over three months. Booting time has been reduced, too.

If you decide to upgrade to Mac OS 9.2.2 (or 9,2,1), you can only do it with Mac OS9 Helper. After downloading Mac OS9 Helper, you will need to download the selected installers. These installers are: Mac OS 9.2.1, and 9.2.2, and the "Helper" will provide the links for the downloads.

The 9.2.1 installer is over 82 MB in size, while 9.2.2 is around 12 MB (you must use these special installers instead of the regular Apple installers). Also, you must follow the instructions, but that too is easy.

The instructions and Mac OS9 Helper are found here:
http://www.os9forever.com/os9helper.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules