Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Chooser vs. Desktop Printer Utility for setting up printer

Chooser vs. Desktop Printer Utility for setting up printer
mjrussell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2004, 02:51 PM

Hi,
I've run into a problem setting up printers in OS 9 (HP and Lexmark printers). I've been told that I'm supposed to use the Chooser to set up new printers; I tried that, using Appletalk and AppleWriter 8 driver. But the new printers never work. When I try to print from any app, the job is spooled, but then it never goes to the printer, there's an error (I forget what it says).

However, when I use the Desktop Printer Utility to set up the printers (using AppleWrite 8, Appletalk), they work great. The problem with this is that the users want to be able to use the Chooser to select the printer before printing in their apps (mostly Xpress, some Illustrator).

When I contacted an Apple support person at a local computer store, he told me that I'm not supposed to use the DPU, that I should use the Chooser.

Can anyone here offer me advice on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Michael

dru
Senior User
May 15, 2004, 03:01 AM

Maybe this would allow someone to help you out. You mention HP & Lexmark but since both make inkjet in addition to laser printers and you don't mention how they connect, it'd be helpful to know that.

My USB-connected Lexmark inkjet appears in the Chooser and printing works fine. I don't use desktop printing. I just used the downloaded driver installer from Lexmark.com
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Hans M Aus
Forum Regular
May 16, 2004, 12:53 AM

We have the same problem with a Lexmark T630 laser printer on a new PowerBook 15" with MacOS 10.3.3.

1) The connection is a Ethernet TP cable to the network.

2) After a print command, the document is spooled and the green light on the T630 blinks, but nothing is printed.

3) The error was "Server not found" after I deleted the printer preferences and added the T630 again with the Printer Setup Utility.

4) The T630 works fine with MacOS 9.x.

5) I've never had this problem with more than 20 HP laser printers.
Cheers, Hans M. Aus, Würzburg,

mjrussell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2004, 12:05 AM

In my case, they're both laser printers, the Macs are connecting to them via ethernet print servers (through AppleTalk).

Forum Links
Forum Rules