Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Purchasing MBP C2D with Apple Credit?

Purchasing MBP C2D with Apple Credit?
saosin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 11:58 PM

Hi All,

now that the mbp c2d has finally arrived, i am faced with a new dilemma...I must sell my current PC laptop before i have enough moeny to buyt he mbp!!!

I was wondering if anyone has done the "Apple Credit" It says no interest for the first 90days...

does this mean if i buy a mbp with apple credit i wont have to pay a single penny until 90 days? And if i decided to just pay it all off in say a month when i get the money from selling my current laptop, i could pay off teh entire thing without any interest incurred and then cancel my apple credit account?

Anyone have any knowledge on how this has worked or has purchased anything via this method?

Let me know...basically i want my mbp now but dont want to pay any interest..

thx!!

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2006, 12:07 AM

I think that you are essentially getting a credit card and then not responsible for payment untill 90 days. I tried to do it a few years ago but didnt qualify since my credit was infantile. It's grown up since then and not having a laptop is driving me bananas. I am debating whether to wait till Leoppard is pre-installed or not...but I am definitely getting a mbp between now and when i graduate in april. GO APPLE!!!!
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2006, 09:18 AM

Sonystyle is offering a $100 cash credit back thingy if you get their card. Guess it can be used on Macs. Just an alternative. Every little bit helps when it comes to saving. If you buy it at an Apple store using there 90 day thingy and pay $250 of it with the Sony card that would be thrifty.

SonyStyle.com | Sony Card Promotion

And with a 0% introductory APR for 12 months who needs the weak 90 day Apple offer anyway, unless you are really hard up for cash...
( Last edited by buddy1065; Oct 25, 2006 at 09:30 AM. )

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2006, 11:22 AM

It's just a MasterCard through Juniper Bank, with a limit based on your approved credit and purchase price.

atc ben
Oct 25, 2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by saosin View Post
Hi All,

now that the mbp c2d has finally arrived, i am faced with a new dilemma...I must sell my current PC laptop before i have enough moeny to buyt he mbp!!!

I was wondering if anyone has done the "Apple Credit" It says no interest for the first 90days...

does this mean if i buy a mbp with apple credit i wont have to pay a single penny until 90 days? And if i decided to just pay it all off in say a month when i get the money from selling my current laptop, i could pay off teh entire thing without any interest incurred and then cancel my apple credit account?

Anyone have any knowledge on how this has worked or has purchased anything via this method?

Let me know...basically i want my mbp now but dont want to pay any interest..

thx!!
You will still have to make the minimum payment every month, but there will be no interest if you pay it off within 90 days. I've already opened my Apple Credit account, but I still haven't pulled the trigger on a new MBP. I will probably placce an order sometime next week.

fk51785
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 03:00 PM

It's much better to open a new credit card account that gives you no interest upto 12 months.
However you will be required to pay minimum amount every month. Sometimes from Citi or Chase,
they will even give you $100 gift certificate to places like compusa or bestbuy for opening
new credit card account with them.
Apple 20'' 2.16GHz IC2D iMac
Apple 1G 2GB White iPod Nano
JBL Creature II White Speaker
HP Photosmart C3180 Printer

SVass
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 03:54 PM

It is better to find a credit card company that doubles your warranty on all purchase and pay off the account each month. sam

saosin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 03:57 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong...but say i buy a mbp and the total is over 2thousand...

doesn't this mean my credit line has to be over 2 thousand? Because right now i already have a bank of america credit card as well as a wells fargo, but none of the credit lines on those cards are over 2thousand...

so say my wells fdargo credit card has a 1thousand dollar credit line...doesn't this mean i can only charge a purchase onto my credit card for up to 1thousand dollars? meaning that i wouldnt be able to just put the entire mbp purchase onto this card?

Also I was thinking of another alternative of paying partial cash and the rest to my existing credit cards...do they allow custom online orders in store to be paid like this? (i plan to upgrade the RAM)

thanks again!

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2006, 04:28 PM

Hmmm...theoretically if you were able open enough credit cards you could get the laptop for half price or less, then pay them all off with zero interest if you had the funds in the bank all along. Right now I could buy something with my Sony credit card worth $100 for free and then close the account when the 0% runs out a year later. Multiply thayt by 5 or ten means $500 to $1000 off. Weird idea, huh? And many such offers are probably out there to those with good credit; all it takes is a little googling...

Oh, and if you pay Apple online they give an option to pay by two credit cards, if that's what you are asking.

Forum Links
Forum Rules