Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > appleworks help?

appleworks help?
posthumanus
Senior User
Jun 8, 2001, 12:03 AM

hi people, hope you can help.

i recently did a HD wipe / clean install and had to store my Appleworks503 folder on iDisk during the transition. everything went well, but ...

now i can't seem to select the dictionary for spell checks ect.

i tried using Appleworks 'help' but i'm told it can't be found (even though it's sitting right there in my Appleworks folder).

anyone got the answer to this?

thanks in advance: posthumanus.

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2001, 02:49 PM

You need to run the Appleworks installer, so it can install the appropriate extensions.
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

posthumanus  (op)
Senior User
Jun 9, 2001, 06:27 AM

thanks Aussiemac:

the problem of course is the ***holes who sold me the computer, gave me the OS9 install disc and the OS8.6 restore disk - the one with the appleworks folder (they�re now out of business so there�s no going back).

so in order to have a fully functional appleworks app on board i had to have OS8.6 installed on a back partition (which i originally had, by necessity)

i wanted only one partition so i stored appleworks on iDisk thinking i could download it later after my OS9 clean install.

didn�t work: tried to lift appleworks off the restore disk but this resulted in a clean install of OS8.6 overwriting OS9 and all my settings.

i went apeshit for 10 minutes but then remembered a friend recently went on a junket to set up 3 brand new iMacs for an airline display - took a longshot and gave him a call.

guess what - he had thoughtfully returned with 3 full OS9.1 software packages.

so my problems seem solved. i�m picking one up from him tomorrow.

the motto of course is �if it ain�t broke, don�t fix it� - but then i wouldn�t have ended up with OS9.1, iMovie2, Appleworks6(?) and whatever else might be waiting for me tomorrow.

thanks for your help though: i learnt a few things on this trip.

posthumanus.

Forum Links
Forum Rules