Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWeb domain help needed

iWeb domain help needed
PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2007, 03:56 PM

I Ment to post this in here...

ok so I purchased a domain name and want to use it with iweb. I bought it through Google (so godaddy is dealer) and at first when I would type in my domain name it would redirect me to my google homepage garbage.
Then I went to Godaddy and added the CNAME thing iweb tells you to do and now my domain name just doesn't do anything (couldn't find server). when I click visit in iweb it goes to the correct address but nothing shows (error 404).
Please help! I don't understand all of this :[
under the CNAME section there are already stuff like ghs.google.com with the www and a bunch of other stuff. I'm lost.

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Nov 23, 2007, 04:21 PM

I got this from godaddy's support desk, it may provide some general help:

To create a CNAME you will need to access the Total DNS control panel, please use the following instructions create a CNAME for your domain. To setup Total DNS Control on a domain name that is Parked or Hosted with Go Daddy (A, CNAME & MX Records):

First, log into your account:

• Go to the Go Daddy Account Login Page
• Log in using your account username (which may be the same as your customer number) and password

If you have trouble logging in, our password reset form may help you. You can find this form through the following link:

Account Retrieval Page

Once logged in, follow these steps:

• Select 'Manage Domains' from the 'Domain Names' menu at the top of the page.
• Click on the domain name that you wish to configure DNS entries for.
• Click the 'Total DNS Control And MX Records' link from the 'Total DNS Control' section.
• Create and/or edit the existing entries for your domain.

*A popup blocker may prevent the window from opening properly. 'Switch to Advanced Mode' will allow multiple record changes at once.

PhotoBug  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2007, 05:34 PM

I have it! I had to move the CNAME over to the www portion. thanks anyway tho :]

Forum Links
Forum Rules