Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Run Clamxav to DAMAGE your hard drive?

View Poll Results: Did Clamxav damage my C drive?
Poll Options:
yes 0 votes (0%)
no 5 votes (100.00%)
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll
Run Clamxav to DAMAGE your hard drive?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2008, 12:46 PM

Installed and ran Clamxav on my C drive under my standard user account. My C drive is where leopard and all my apps, etc, are installed.

It found 3 infected files in Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 which were 2 phishing attempts and 1 domain spoof.

Before I ran Clamxav my C drive looked like:
( > means folder; without means file)

>Applications
>Library
>System
>User Guides And Information
>Users

After I ran Clamxav my C drive is scrambled: ?
(numerous new folders and files have appeared)

>Applications
>builtin
CHANGELOG
>configs
>dispatches
>doc
>environments
>examples
fresh_rakefile
>helpers
>html
>lib
>library
LICENSE
MIT-LICENSE
NEWS
Rakefile
README
>System
>test
THANKS
>Users

From my perspective it looks like running Clamxav on my C drive has scrambled/screwed it up.

My time machine backups confirm the change in my C drive as corresponding with my running Clamxav.

I am making this post online with the machine that I ran Clamxav on so, so far, it seems to be working as usual, but my C drive was never like that before.

Are the new folders and files that appeared when I ran Clamxav newly created or did they already exist on my C drive and Clamxav moved them from their proper/original location? Are the newly created folders and files leftovers that Clamxav should have deleted?

Any information and help regarding this would of course be very much appreciated.

note: I am new to Apple Computers/Apple Operating system. The Macbook is essentially new so I would like to determine if Clamxav has caused damage that requires me to, either, reinstall Leopard or restore from Time Machine backup.

I am not sure if I should trust restoring the C drive from the Time Machine backup, but, whatever the case, I want to reinstall or restore now because I am just learning Apple so I have not put a lot of stuff on the macbook at all. I don't relish the task of reinstalling, but I would rather do it now if this Clamxav thing has caused me a problem.

Opera 9.26 (primary)

Firefox (was primary until checked secunia.com for unpatched issues)

Thunderbird 2.0.0.12

NetbarrierX4 (30 day trial)
VirusbarrierX4 (30 day trial)

More information regarding my problem here:
http://www.markallan.co.uk/BB/viewtopic.php?t=1215&start=0&postdays=0&postorder= asc&highlight=&sid=37fcdfb445e7319a193f19ec538ac91 3

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2008, 01:04 PM

First, there are no viruses for OSX, so I don't know what you mean by 'infected', secondly, I don't think ClamAV is teh source of these issues, it doesn't do anything like what you are describing. Why are you even running it, by the way?

Aside from new folders that you don't understand, are there any other symptoms that you are worried about? I wouldn't delete anything right now - you may want to create a new user account, and migrate things to it, since what I think has happened is that you have inadvertently copied a bunch of stuff from somewhere into your main directory.
You can get rid of netbarier and virus barrier - just drag them to the trash.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 01:10 PM

Some of those files are from Ruby on Rails.

And stop calling your startup disk C Drive.
Vandelay Industries

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 2, 2008, 01:14 PM

It's not a case of having somehow activated hidden files is it?

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Mar 2, 2008, 01:24 PM

I don't think those are previously invisible files.

Here is a tidbit from the ClamXav website:

"Friendly backup reminder
This software has the ability to move files on your computer, therefore it is absolutely vital that you back up any important data before running ClamXav. While it is possible to move files back to wherever they were moved from (see the FAQ), I regret that I can not be expected to offer assistance in this matter."

Methinks it just moved stuff for some unfathomable reason.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 01:26 PM

I think that just means it may move infected files, not random files.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 01:34 PM

I think this is more a case of someone installing something unknowingly into the root of their drive, running ClamXav sometime afterwards, and then noticing these new files and mistakenly attributing it to ClamXav.
Vandelay Industries

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2008, 01:55 PM

Yep - it seems that the OP has installed a lot of dubious crap on the machine - my advice - start a new user account, migrate your stuff, and stop installing anti-virus programs....

030108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2008, 02:22 PM

Thankyou very much for responding peeb.

I call them infected because that is EXACTLY what Clamxav called them when I got back 7 hours later and looked at the log. I usually try to use the terminology that the application itself uses.

Personally, I really was not very concerned about the "phishing" attempts, because I, firstly, new they were likely present and I don't just click on links that I get in emails.

I really do not want to sound like a "know it all" because I am not, but it is EXTREMEMLY unlikely that I copied anything to that C drive main directory.

Despite being new to macs I have been using this one for a little more than a month and I have installed a number of other apps.

The only thing I had time to do yesterday morning before leaving was install Clamxav and choose the folders to scan in accordance with clamxav.com's instructions. Then I left for 7 hours.

When I chose the folders in the C drive to scan I chose EVERYTHING in the main directory just lik clamxav.com suggested.

When I got back the first thing I did was check the clamxav log.

Next I went to Thunderbird and deleted the emails that I figured were the problems clamxav alerted me to. I have about 50 different email addresses in Thunderbird 2.X

After I deleted the emails and compacted the Thunderbird folders to ensure they got deleted I went to run clamxav again. That is when I realized all the new folders and files in the C drive main directory that were not there before I installed/ran Clamxav.

Again, it is almost impossible for me to have inadvertently copied that stuff into the C drive main directory. Trust me, I don't just click stuff; I read alerts/messages very carefully. If I get a message/alert I don't understand I almost always write it down.

More information regarding my problem here:
http://www.markallan.co.uk/BB/viewto...3f19ec538ac913

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2008, 02:41 PM

Wow, your the first person I've seen with this problem. There's many folks that run clamxav without the problems that happened to you.

Also if you still want to run clamxav then you should just let it watch your email folder and maybe even the download folder. Or just uninstall it and don't run it, if your worried about passing viruses and what not to a Windows user then just monitor your email folder like I said.

Oh and please stop calling your Hard Drive a "C Drive" as that's a Windows term that not all Mac users will understand. Over at the page you linked to "smkolins" also refers to this.

Cheers
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 2, 2008, 02:48 PM

First, I'd like it if you actually posted a summary of what you're directing us to on your site, rather than a link-it looks like you're spamming your site and that's completely forbidden here.

Second, what sorts of networks have you been connecting to, and what sorts of computers have been sharing those networks? If you're in some sort of P2P network with a bunch of Windows users, you could indeed have a bunch of infected files-infected for Windows users that is.

AND YOU DO NOT HAVE A C DRIVE. You have a startup drive under OS X. If you're asking for help with a Windows problem, you really need to state that very clearly. And be ready for me to move this thread to a more appropriate forum if that's true.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 03:17 PM

markallan.co.uk is the website for ClamXav, not the OP's website.

OreoCookie
Mar 2, 2008, 03:25 PM

An application can never screw up your harddrive. It can alter your file system structure, but I really doubt ClamXAV has done that. It does nothing more than search for Windows viruses in your files.

To me, it seems as if you've installed it at the root level, though (that's like saving an app in c).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2008, 04:04 PM

It looks like you installed clamxav or a similar program into the root folder in your hard drive, which was a strange choice, but not really harmful.

030108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2008, 04:50 PM

I want to thank everyone for responding. I really do appreciate the help.

-------------------
[Vandelay] What is Ruby on Rails? Would Ruby on Rails be malfunctioning if its files were moved there as opposed to copied?

I actually partitioned my 250gb drive and gave them the names Cdrive, Edrive, Fdrive, Gdrive. Sorry, that is why I call it C drive; because that is what I named it. Oops!

What do I call it instead of C drive?

My Time Machine backups correspond to the appearance of the unexplained files. It is virtually impossible for me to have inadvertently copied those file/folders there. Vandelay you really do not appreciate how careful I am; I read alerts/messages and I don't just click yes. I am not arrogant; if it were likely that I did it I would speak up.

-------------------

[seanc] I thought about previously hidden files as the culprit. Are those previously hidden files that I can hide again?

--------------------
[Colonel Panic] I really think Clamxav moved them as well. I am mostly certain that I will have to pay for netbarrier and virusbarrier, X5, instead of using Clamxav.

I read the backup reminder long before I installed Clamxav. I am running Time Machine And I am using SuperDuper for backups.

-------------------
[silver] Have you read anything about the potential for this problem to occur?

I was not running Folder Sentry?

Yes, I do not see how I can continue to use Clamxav. I am probably going to have to pay for Intego's netbarrier and virusbarrier.

------------------
[ghporter] I am not spamming anything. Just like JKT indicated, if you go to Clamxav.com and, then, go to the user forum's through that site you will end up at markallan.co.uk. Mark Allan is the author/developer of Clamxav.

I guess maybe there must be a good percentage of them, but everyone is not a spammer or has spamming intentions. I am just a new mac user trying to get some help/advice.

I am not yet connecting to any network at all; PC or otherwise.

-------------------
[oreocookie/mduell] Even if I were capable of saving something into the wrong location like that ARE THOSE FILES THE CLAMXAV FILES OR THE CLAMXAV ENGINE FILES? From what I understand they are not.

Again, I do not just click stuff. I read messages/alerts and I even write them down if I really do not understand.

--------------------

Regardless, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THESE FILES ARE EVEN?

Again, I very much appreciate everyone's help. I still need your help.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2008, 06:04 PM

Folks have offered a couple of different ideas about what they might be. Frankly, I think the issue is certainly related to your installing a lot of unnecessary software without really understanding what it is.
You do not need netbarrier, virus barrier, X5, or clam for most things - if you are in some form of network that exposes you to a lot of PC viruses you are worried about transmitting, please explain that, and someone can talk you through setting something up.
I would really advise that you set up a new user account and not install anything in it that you don't need.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2008, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 030108 View Post
Regardless, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THESE FILES ARE EVEN?
Not from the filenames. It might help if you actually read the "README" file and/or the others that are readable (like "NEWS" and there might be something in the "html" folder for example).

That way you probably figure out what created those files.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Folks have offered a couple of different ideas about what they might be. Frankly, I think the issue is certainly related to your installing a lot of unnecessary software without really understanding what it is.
You do not need netbarrier, virus barrier, X5, or clam for most things - if you are in some form of network that exposes you to a lot of PC viruses you are worried about transmitting, please explain that, and someone can talk you through setting something up.
I would really advise that you set up a new user account and not install anything in it that you don't need.
Well, there's nothing really harmful about having a virus scanner installed, especially a relatively unintrusive one like ClamAV, and if a legitimately threatening virus ever does come out for OS X, it'd be a benefit.

It looks like TETENAL just beat me to what I was going to say - check out the read me file and see if it has any information on what it belongs to.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2008, 07:11 PM

I agree Charles, I don't think ClamAV is causing this problem - I think it would be fine to install it, but given that something appears wrong with the current install, and the OP does not seem especially familiar with OSX, I still think a new user account and then considered re-installation of whatever software the OP actually needs would be prudent.
It seems that someone without a lot of understanding of OSX is trying to set it up the way you would set up a Windows machine - I think the solution here is a back to basics approach - get rid of surplus programs until the OP understands what they do and why you might want them.
( Last edited by peeb; Mar 2, 2008 at 07:17 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2008, 07:13 PM

I want to thank everyone for responding. I really do appreciate the help.

-------------------
[Vandelay] What is Ruby on Rails? Would Ruby on Rails be malfunctioning if its files were moved there as opposed to copied?

I actually partitioned my 250gb drive and gave them the names Cdrive, Edrive, Fdrive, Gdrive. Sorry, that is why I call it C drive; because that is what I named it. Oops!

What do I call it instead of C drive?
Calvin.

Call the second drive Hobbes.

The third one Marvin.

And the fourth one Zaphod.

And the fifth one, your backup drive: Heart of Gold.

Seriously: anything is alright. You can keep calling them C through H if you like. But to a Mac user, that just feels completely WRONG and *icky*.

We're used to *liking* our machines and Apple has always been about making computers seem personal. As in "personal" computers - what the word used to mean.

030108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2008, 09:55 PM

Thanks everyone again for responding.

[peeb] Again, I am not arrogant by any means and, even if I were, I would not want to sound arrogant. It is virtually impossible that I installed an app or those folders in that root drive accidentally. I have always been way too careful with my computer and electronics stuff.

I have had the machine since mid January this year and I have installed a number of apps. I know the process, but I still follow directions each time.

[TETENAL and CharlesS] That README file starts as follows:
== Welcome to Rails

Rails is a web-application and persistence framework that includes everything
needed to create database-backed web-applications according to the
Model-View-Control pattern of separation. This pattern splits the view (also
called the presentation) into "dumb" templates that are primarily responsible
for inserting pre-built data in between HTML tags. The model contains the
"smart" domain objects (such as Account, Product, Person, Post) that holds all
the business logic and knows how to persist themselves to a database. The
controller handles the incoming requests (such as Save New Account, Update
Product, Show Post) by manipulating the model and directing data to the view.

In Rails, the model is handled by what's called an object-relational mapping
layer entitled Active Record. This layer allows you to present the data from
database rows as objects and embellish these data objects with business logic
methods. You can read more about Active Record in
link:files/vendor/rails/activerecord/README.html.

The controller and view are handled by the Action Pack, which handles both
layers by its two parts: Action View and Action Controller. These two layers
are bundled in a single package due to their heavy interdependence. This is
unlike the relationship between the Active Record and Action Pack that is much
more separate. Each of these packages can be used independently outside of
Rails. You can read more about Action Pack in
link:files/vendor/rails/actionpack/README.html.

== Getting started

1. At the command prompt, start a new rails application using the rails command
and your application name. Ex: rails myapp
(If you've downloaded rails in a complete tgz or zip, this step is already done)
2. Change directory into myapp and start the web server: <tt>script/server</tt> (run with --help for options)
3. Go to ... and get "Welcome aboard: You’re riding the Rails!"
4. Follow the guidelines to start developing your application

== Web Servers

By default, Rails will try to use Mongrel and lighttpd if they are installed, otherwise
Rails will use the WEBrick, the webserver that ships with Ruby. When you run script/server,
Rails will check if Mongrel exists, then lighttpd and finally fall back to WEBrick. This ensures
that you can always get up and running quickly.

Mongrel is a Ruby-based webserver with a C-component (which requires compilation) that is
suitable for development and deployment of Rails applications. If you have Ruby Gems installed,
getting up and running with mongrel is as easy as: <tt>gem install mongrel</tt>.
More info at: http://mongrel.rubyforge.org

If Mongrel is not installed, Rails will look for lighttpd. It's considerably faster than
Mongrel and WEBrick and also suited for production use, but requires additional
installation and currently only works well on OS X/Unix (Windows users are encouraged
to start with Mongrel). We recommend version 1.4.11 and higher. You can download it from
http://www.lighttpd.net.

And finally, if neither Mongrel or lighttpd are installed, Rails will use the built-in Ruby
web server, WEBrick. WEBrick is a small Ruby web server suitable for development, but not
for production.

But of course its also possible to run Rails on any platform that supports FCGI.
Apache, LiteSpeed, IIS are just a few. For more information on FCGI,
please visit: http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/FastCGI

== Debugging Rails

Sometimes your application goes wrong. Fortunately there are a lot of tools that
will help you debug it and get it back on the rails.

First area to check is the application log files. Have "tail -f" commands running
on the server.log and development.log. Rails will automatically display debugging
and runtime information to these files. Debugging info will also be shown in the
browser on requests from 127.0.0.1.

You can also log your own messages directly into the log file from your code using
the Ruby logger class from inside your controllers. Example:

--------------------

[TETENAL and CharlesS] That NEWS file starts as follows:
Net:SSH
http://rubyforge.org/projects/net-ssh

[1.1.2] 18 June 2007
* Fixed bug #6156 (ruby -w warnings)

* Fixed bug #11532 (Hang after MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_FAILURE)

* Fixed bug #10818 (Exception in split_data_for_packet)

* Fixed bug #6667 (wrong SOCKS 5 auth version)

* Fixed bug #11270 (error when server uses some aes ciphers)

* Fixed bug #11355 (typo in session.rb)

* Fixed bug #11250 (host key verification problems when an RSA key appears
in the known hosts file, but the server has both DSS and RSA keys)

[1.1.1] 9 May 2007
* Fixed broken mkdir in host key verification.

* Fixed problems with Windows users getting "address family for hostname
not supported" errors.

[1.1.0] 1 May 2007
* Added the missing rb-keygen utility

* Server key verification (enabled by default, disable with aranoid => false)

* Add support for SSH agent forwwarding

[1.0.10] 9 Sep 2006
* Experiment with using read instead of sysread, to try and alleviate problems
on Windows.

* Use printf instead of echo -n in the shell service, for compatibility with
more unices.

* Give a sane error message when the user name is nil and cannot be derived

[analogika] Thanks! You are not going to slip much "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" past me. Shame about Adams' death. I only just saw the movie about 1 month ago, but I really liked it; it was very literal to the book.

I was watching "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" the way I did "Blake's 7", Dr. Who, and "Tripods" when the BBC was producing those shows, including "Hitchhikers...", as series shows. Great stuff!

(T. Baker WAS DR. WHO, but I liked all of the old school ones I guess. The old school Master was one sinister dude and he seemed to think it all was funny. T. Baker was on "Monarch of The Glenn"; loved it. Peter Davison, Gareth Thomas and Steven Pacey are all together, now old men, in another BBC series.)

Well, I can't think of anything(s) from "Lathe of Heaven" to call those drives. Although, I guess I could take something from the Beatles song that was played in "Lathe of Heaven" and resulted in "Lathe of Heaven" being "banned" for something like 30 years until just in 2000something due to rights/copyright issues over playing that Beatles song. You are probably way too young to know "Lathe of Heaven", though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lathe_of_Heaven#Film_.26_TV_adaptations

What is analogika studio - music & electronics?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2008, 10:03 PM

Art Vandaley told you it was a Ruby on Rails installation. It had nothing to do with ClamAV.

This thread smells of spam anyway.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 10:07 PM

Well, considering that you've installed Ruby on Rails and don't know what it is, I'm not that confident in your assurance that you know exactly where you install everything. If that was the case, then you'd know how Ruby on Rails was installed on your Mac. Also, not all installers let you choose where to install stuff. Some just install where they are coded to.

ClamXav is an OS X frontend to Clamav, an open source antivirus tool. It is highly unlikely that it just happened to relocate random files. If it did have that bug, others would know about it. But let's go with your theory that it did move these files. Even if that is the case, you still had to have installed Ruby on Rails someplace else. Yet you don't seem to know what it is. Something doesn't compute here.
Vandelay Industries

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2008, 10:30 PM

[analogika] Thanks! You are not going to slip much "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" past me. Shame about Adams' death. I only just saw the movie about 1 month ago, but I really liked it; it was very literal to the book.
Well, the first half was.

Whatever John Malkovich was doing in the movie, what with some gun or something, I've completely forgotten, and it most certainly had nought whatsoever to do with the books, nor the BBC series, nor the radioplay. The Vogons, however, were sensational.

Well, I can't think of anything(s) from "Lathe of Heaven" to call those drives. Although, I guess I could take something from the Beatles song that was played in "Lathe of Heaven" and resulted in "Lathe of Heaven" being "banned" for something like 30 years until just in 2000something due to rights/copyright issues over playing that Beatles song. You are probably way too young to know "Lathe of Heaven", though.
probably not "way" too young - I was seven when it was produced, and fifteen when the broadcast rights expired in 1988 - but I missed it nonetheless.

I see it's a Le Guin book that's probably well worth reading, as well - added to the list. Thanks!

What is analogika studio - music & electronics?
It's a link, actually.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2008, 10:50 PM

I just cringed at the "C Drive" wording.

You lost me there.

-t

030108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2008, 12:41 AM

[Big Mac] I am a new mac user asking advice. New macbook with receipts to show for it. If you apparently do not know what you are talking about when you insinuate or imply that someone is spamming, then, to me personally, it is very clear that you should not add your input. There are, I am sure, other threads that you can, in my opinion, diminish with your presence.

[Art Vandelay] Thankyou for replying, but you should be confident. Either Clamxav or the Clamxav engine installed Ruby on Rails. Obviously, it was an error in that "package" but that is definitely what happened.

As I understand from elsewhere Rails is a developer's tool and I certainly would remember if I had downloaded an app on a less than 2 month old machine.

Nonetheless, Art, you have been part of the solution and I appreciate your replies. Thankyou.

[angolika] I have the leather bound complete "HitchHiker's Guide To The Galaxy" book and, to me, the bigscreen movie version, which I only just saw, matched the picture I had in my mind from reading the book perfectly. The Vogons mercilessly reading that poetry was hysterical. Then he said he liked the poetry and the Vogon still said OFF WITH HIS HEAD OR SOMETHING. That was hilarious.

>It's a link, actually.
Ok smart guy. I was just curious if you produce your own music as in music studio and as in that is what you use you mac for or if you are an audiophile or something.

[turtle777] Thankyou for replying, but I am not going to apologize anymore. For what? It is just a name that I gave to my root drive or startup drive or whatever. If, in 2008, we still can't get over "what's in a name" then we are possibly as doomed as some might suspect.

I mean really... you guys are beating a non-issue with that. I like the whole Apple thing also and I am obviously trying very hard to make, at least, a majority transition to using my macbook, but I really am not into going out of my way to make some kind of personal statement that I hate PCs or I hate the most common PC operating system or something. I am not into wasting that kind of energy. I might know or really believe that win**** is crap compared to 10.x or something, but I am not going to waste strength that I could use elsewhere trying to make sure that 95(95%) computer users in the room with me know that I and another 4.3(4.3%) computer users anywhere or something are somehow superior solely by virtue of typing on a mac.

You are OK with me, though, turtle. Thankyou again for replying.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2008, 01:00 AM

030108, Welcome to the MacNN forums.... where every thread is guaranteed to become mired in a war of semantics and pointless detail-mongering. Be forewarned.... never make the mistake of spelling it MAC (that's a cosmetics company). It's Mac. At least once a month we get a diatribe on the true meaning of Santa Rosa. Those are always fun.

Enjoy your stay!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2008, 01:13 AM

it is very clear that you should not add your input. There are, I am sure, other threads that you can, in my opinion, diminish with your presence.
Gee, thanks. I'll choose the manner in which I post, in your thread or in any other.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2008, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Well, the first half was.

Whatever John Malkovich was doing in the movie, what with some gun or something, I've completely forgotten, and it most certainly had nought whatsoever to do with the books, nor the BBC series, nor the radioplay. The Vogons, however, were sensational.
Those previous three incarnations weren't all the same story either.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, ClamAV seems to be written in C and C++, not Ruby, so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have downloaded and installed Ruby on Rails on your machine. At any rate, RoR isn't harmful, so you can just delete the files that are bothering you and get on with your life.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2008, 01:16 AM

[angolika]

You're quite a clown, 030108

-t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2008, 04:55 AM

>It's a link, actually.
Ok smart guy. I was just curious if you produce your own music as in music studio and as in that is what you use you mac for or if you are an audiophile or something.
Heh, sorry - I thought the former was obvious from the link and the sig image. Though the latter applies, as well.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 07:31 AM

ClamXav does not install Ruby on Rails. The only way that ClamXav would have moved those files to your root level is if you had chosen it as the "Quarantine" location in ClamXav and selected for potentially infected files to be moved to your Quarantine location (and it is highly unlikely that you did do that and that these files are infected with anything). Otherwise, ClamXav isn't going to do anything to your files.

Evidently, something has caused Ruby on Rails to get installed (but ClamXav was not it). However, rather than worrying about it, simply delete the following folders and files (those that have been italicised) to return your system to its previous state and forget about it - no harm will have been done*:

>Applications
>builtin
CHANGELOG
>configs
>dispatches
>doc
>environments
>examples
fresh_rakefile
>helpers
>html
>lib

>Library
LICENSE
MIT-LICENSE
NEWS
Rakefile
README

>System
>test
THANKS

>Users

Also, there isn't really any need to run ClamXav on your entire system - just set the Folder Sentry to watch any folders that receive files from external downloads (e.g. your Downloads folder, your Mail attachments folder which is located in ~/Library, your iChat transcripts folder - if you have set one up, etc.). It'll automatically scan everything arriving onto your system bar items you copy over from other drives (which you can scan manually if you choose to). If it doesn't find anything as they arrive, it isn't going to find anything when you do a whole drive scan either.

* There is one other possibility - that your directory structure has got corrupted which is causing those files and folders to appear as though they are at the root level of the directory tree when they actually aren't, but you would probably be experiencing much more serious issues than you have reported if it had.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 3, 2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
markallan.co.uk is the website for ClamXav, not the OP's website.
And since it doesn't say "ClamXav" in the link it's pretty ambiguous unless you already know that, right? I'm not saying it WAS spamming, just that it looks bad as it is.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

030108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2008, 06:46 PM

I want to sincerely Thankyou guys for all your help.

I came here, to the MacNN Forums, with an issue that I certainly did not understand. I came seeking advice and suggestions from knowledgeable people and that is exactly what I got.

You guys obviously were very gracious in sharing your considerable knowledge with me and in spending time searching for answers to my question(s).

You guys have contributed enough information to help me confidently make a decision as to what I should do.

Thankyou. And I mean that.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2008, 10:44 PM

C drive?

Dude. You've been talking to that guy. Haven't you?

--------------------->

Glad you got things worked out.

And stay away from that other guy.

Apple - Get a Mac - Watch The TV Ads
( Last edited by DCJ001; Mar 4, 2008 at 05:50 PM. )

030108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2008, 05:52 PM

But he had soooooooooooooooo many friends.

He was/is networked up the kazoo.

I mean I had about 4.3(4.3%) people in the room that I could say I new; he had 95(95%). And they all had very expensive clothes on just like him; his suit alone had to be $1800. Hec, his friends in the room that I could recognize were all executives of huge multi-national companies.

He obviously had some type of monopoly and he said that he might introduce me to his friend Bill if he could get me into a party at one of Bill's islands. He even promised that he would get Bill to send a chauffeur and a private jet for me if he got me in.

I mean, who would say no?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2008, 06:43 PM

WTF ?

Weirdest spam evar.

-t

Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2008, 06:46 PM

I don't think it's spam... But I sure as hell don't know what it IS.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2008, 12:01 AM

But he had soooooooooooooooo many friends.

He was/is networked up the kazoo.

I mean I had about 4.3(4.3%) people in the room that I could say I new; he had 95(95%). And they all had very expensive clothes on just like him; his suit alone had to be $1800. Hec, his friends in the room that I could recognize were all executives of huge multi-national companies.

He obviously had some type of monopoly and he said that he might introduce me to his friend Bill if he could get me into a party at one of Bill's islands. He even promised that he would get Bill to send a chauffeur and a private jet for me if he got me in.

I mean, who would say no?
Dude. You've been talking to that guy too. Haven't you?

--------------------->

Get a Mac!

Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2008, 12:02 AM

Whoa

Cold Warrior
Mar 5, 2008, 12:20 AM

The OP has his answers. I think this thread has run its course.

Forum Links
Forum Rules