Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spinning Beach Ball and Get Info/Preview

Spinning Beach Ball and Get Info/Preview
cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2008, 05:26 PM

Anyone else having problems with Get Info and Preview taking two or more minutes to reveal info in the finder? Anytime I try either function I get a spinning beach ball for about two minutes. The only I thing I can remember about changing the system configuation was installing the iTunes Upgrade. I'm running 10.4.11 on a Dual G5 1.8 (Summer 2004). Any suggestions?

Nick

cbr600f4  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2008, 06:10 PM

I just did an archive and reinstall of the system folder, problem persists. I think I will try creating a new user to see if it is something in my user folder.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2008, 06:51 PM

Just Got Info on the HD and on a large folder, it took 1 to 2 secs. I haave the same machine as you do, same OS. I do have 4 Gigs of ram, how much do you have? Getting Info has to calculate a lot of stuff, so memory matters.

cbr600f4  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2008, 06:59 PM

I don't think RAM is the problem. I have 1.5GB.

I just logged in using the other login and the problem does not appear in this user. Anyone have an idea on how I may be able to figure out what in my User Folder might be causing this? I would like to keep my User if possible.

ibook_steve
Jan 1, 2009, 02:41 PM

Have you repaired permissions lately?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2009, 06:02 PM

Maybe try clearing out ~/Library/Caches

cbr600f4  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2009, 12:00 AM

How do you repair permissions?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2009, 12:07 AM

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cbr600f4  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2009, 07:26 PM

Tried everything you guys mentioned. I also noticed when I installed a new System Folder the two other users I have set up on the machine could preview, use Spotlight, and generally work without issue. Then I applied the software update and I am getting the same problem. Does anyone know if there is some sort of bug with 10.4.11? I am willing to do a complete reinstall of the System, but I want to make sure this is going to fix the problem if I am going to invest that amount of time. Do I just need to update to 10.5? Any more ideas, this is really perturbing me and concerns me that Apple is getting away from providing solid software. While this is one case in many years what concerns me is that I am not able to fix the problem easily, I usually can!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 4, 2009, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Have you repaired permissions lately?

Steve
Not gonna help, permission problems don't cause delays, their failure is instant.

Forum Links
Forum Rules