Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Palm 0s

Palm 0s
Junebug172
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2000, 03:50 AM

Is Palm OS 3.5 available for the Palm III?

Bobby
Aug 21, 2000, 09:29 AM

I do know essentially it should work, but the only real difference is the addition of color from what I understand.

I don't know if they sell any kind of an upgrade. If in fact the only addition is color, they probably won't offer it, since there would be no performance increase from upgrading.

------------------

redolsnake
Aug 21, 2000, 04:40 PM

Yes and no. New palm's shipping now have it pre-installed. 2 meg versions of Palm's cannot be upgraded (as per Palm). I just ordered a iiie, and it comes pre-installed with 3.5. As for the color, 3.5 has built in support for color, so if you have a IIIc, you have 3.5

------------------
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
redolsnake
"BOOOYA!"

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2000, 09:56 PM

I recently upgraded my Palm IIIxe OS to 3.5 All is well in Denville!

------------------
Peep my iDisk: rambo47
"There is no spoon."

squareman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2000, 03:47 PM

2 meg versions of Palm's cannot be upgraded (as per Palm).

This is a lie. After going round and round trying to get my original Palm V fixed properly (a couple of months and lots of angry phone calls), Palm sent me a brand new Palm V with OS3.5 installed on it (and yes, it is only a 2MB model).

[new edit:]

oops, I should have read more carefully. Okay, maybe it's not possible to UPGRADE to 3.5, but it is definately possible to have it installed on a new 2MB unit. Why it wouldn't be possible to upgrade is beyond me. I figure it's Palm's insentive to get people to buy the higher end models to get the perceived "biggest and baddest" OS.

As far as my observations go on the differences, it is minimal as to what has changed. Some of the GUI is a little more sexy (like a dimensional battery charge display and when doing command shortcuts a "submenu" pops up when you do the command stroke to give you a tapping shortcut in case you've forgotten the letter). There is actually a snooze function to alarms (but it's not like the one that comes with Visors that let you choose the duration of the snooze) that is a big improvement. And there's an additional calendar view that is pretty handy. Text editing is easier (double tap to select a word, triple tap to select a line, etc.). And one of the coolest improvements is that there is an optional "masked" setting for private records - i.e., an entry is visible but it's grayed out instead of hidden all together and tapping on it prompts you for your password. Other than that, it's more or less the same OS.

[This message has been edited by squareman (edited 08-24-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules