Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iMac 9.0.4 install disk work on 7300?

iMac 9.0.4 install disk work on 7300?
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2002, 03:00 PM

I've seen a lot of these on ebay and the sellers always claim it will install on any machine that supports OS9. Is this true? I tried using my wife's AGP G4 400 install disk and it said "no way" on my 7300.

Has anyone verified this is or is not true?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

George Orville
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2002, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
I've seen a lot of these on ebay and the sellers always claim it will install on any machine that supports OS9. Is this true? I tried using my wife's AGP G4 400 install disk and it said "no way" on my 7300.

Has anyone verified this is or is not true?
Your wife's CD is machine specific and will only function with that computor.......What you need is a Retail version CD.....which wil function on many, many models of computors, and that is what you seen at eBay...

bigbiker

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2002, 09:47 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...080784950&rd=1

It says:
Apple has gone to a CPU-specific OS installer again lately. So most Mac OS CDs made for newer Macs won't work with older Macs (boo!). Beware of sellers who don't test their Mac OS CDs on different Macs - they really have NO IDEA if it will work with your Mac! I, however, check them on a variety of Macs to find out for sure what works and what doesn't...

Oddly, even though this CD came bundled with an iMac, it will run on ANY PowerMac - even my trusty old PowerMac 7500. It's the first iMac CD I've ever seen that will do a full install on any Mac. So bid away - this brand new CD will work with your PowerMac!
I don't believe him. I am looking for someone who has done this. Everything I've read from the experts (here) says no, it won't work.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2002, 07:12 PM

Well, this is what I've found...

If you copy the system folder over from a PowerMac G (sawtooth , in this case) to the 7300 and delete the original one, you have system 9.0.2.

I updated it to 9.1 using the update.

I can run 9.1 stuff without actually installing it.

The machine thinks it is a G4, but everything seems to work fine. No problems.

So the moral is: yes, you can use a Powermac (and probably an imac) system resotre CD to put 9.0 on a 7300 PM.

I'm even using firewire. Anyone have any comments?

Forum Links
Forum Rules