Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PC133 in exchange for PC100???

PC133 in exchange for PC100???
otis52
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2001, 01:23 AM

I just purchased some cheap ram from a online company 2 / 512mb chips. The company Coast to Coast says that the memory is firmware compatible and there should be no problems. However they sent me a couple of PC133 chips for my G4/400 which calls for PC100. I found this out buy checking the type of memory in my system profiler and sure enough PC133. Is this ok to keep the PC133 memory installed?? And will it hurt my system if I do??
I wanted to be a artist but I became a graphic designer...
[url]http://c1g.net[url]

otis52  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2001, 01:28 AM

I'm an idiot I just realized i posted a topic about a G4 in older macs... SORRY....If it helps my case i'm on a 8500/180 right now...could a moderator move this thread please....

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: otis52 ]

Cipher13
Sep 21, 2001, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by otis52:
<STRONG>I just purchased some cheap ram from a online company 2 / 512mb chips. The company Coast to Coast says that the memory is firmware compatible and there should be no problems. However they sent me a couple of PC133 chips for my G4/400 which calls for PC100. I found this out buy checking the type of memory in my system profiler and sure enough PC133. Is this ok to keep the PC133 memory installed?? And will it hurt my system if I do??</STRONG>
No problem whatsoever

It'll run at PC100 2-2-2 spec.

otis52  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2001, 10:55 AM

Thanks Cipher.. another question for ya... When playing Unreal Tour/LAN game my computer will shutdown with no warning...scary...sometimes just monitor will shutdown but i have to restart the computer to get it to turn back on....any ideas? Could this be caused by the new memory???

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: otis52 ]

ae77
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2001, 08:38 PM

133 RAM will work fine in your computer.

If your shutdown problems just occur after you install the RAM, then it's likely that the RAM is the cause. Try removing one (since you have 2 sticks), and run UT, if it works, then try swapping the RAM; that way you can find out which one is the problem.

Good luck
^_^

yukon
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2001, 03:21 AM

yeah, ram will work fine.

I've seen ut quit with out of memory, but not shutdown. Try searching xlr8yourmac, I think I heard of this problem before.

try reinstalling ut, and cleaning out extra extensions/hidden programs (faceless background) (neither can hurt).
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Forum Links
Forum Rules