Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Memory Door

Memory Door
Saifk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2004, 12:59 PM

Hi guys im trying to upgrade to 1 Gb of RAM in my 15" G4 AlBook (Currently have 512Mb RAM) ok so i powered it off, and used a penny to open the battery, took it out...this is where im stuck:

Im suppossed to take out the four screws surrounding the memory door, are these super screws!? i've tried big screwdrivers, and the little eyeglass repair kit ones, and i even tried using plyers to rotate it...the only result...TONS OF ****ING SCRATCHES NEAR THE SCREWS...they dont budge...how the hell do you guys get your screws out? sorry for the profanity, story fo my life...

any help would be appreciated.

vinster
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by Saifk:
Hi guys im trying to upgrade to 1 Gb of RAM in my 15" G4 AlBook (Currently have 512Mb RAM) ok so i powered it off, and used a penny to open the battery, took it out...this is where im stuck:

Im suppossed to take out the four screws surrounding the memory door, are these super screws!? i've tried big screwdrivers, and the little eyeglass repair kit ones, and i even tried using plyers to rotate it...the only result...TONS OF ****ING SCRATCHES NEAR THE SCREWS...they dont budge...how the hell do you guys get your screws out? sorry for the profanity, story fo my life...

any help would be appreciated.
I had the same problem with the memory door when I first got my PowerBook.

I found the generic precision screwdriver sets, with the skinny handles, just didn't do the job. So I went to Homebase (a big hardware/gardening shop here in the UK) and picked up a set of Black and Decker precision screwdrivers. These are much better made (the ends are "sharper" and they have bigger plastic handles) and was then able to grip the screw.

Once you have a decent set of drivers, unscrew them counter clockwise.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2004, 01:38 PM

Righty Tighty
Lefty Loosey

I got mine out using eyeglass screwdrivers, had to put alot of force into the 'book but no scraches and 768MB of fun. If you dont want to buy screwdrivers with bigger handles just wrap some tape around the screwdrivers you have that fit.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

diskgolfking
Jun 2, 2004, 03:47 PM

I had the same problem with my new 12" (although, unlike you, at the first sign of damage I stopped and said "woah, enough of this")

Go to Wal-Mart and buy yourself a screwdriver set. If the 15" uses the same size as the 12" make sure to get one with an 00 philips. The manual will also tell you the size to use. Using even one size off makes it very, very difficult to open.

Saifk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2004, 12:52 PM

Well luckily i used my screen protector to clean the scratches by dampening it. Its barely visible, so anyways i just took it to CompUSA, since they have an apple "store" there. I talked to the guy, and he reached in his pocket and took out some tol-belt-type-thingy, he helped me install it RIGHT there.

thank you Dave from CompUSA wherever you are!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2004, 04:08 AM

Totally pointless, but dave is probly still manning the shop at compusa. as for the ram door .. wierd, mine wasnt too hard to open, and i didnt use a + screwdriver, but a - one that works on eyeglasses. i guess i should say u need to push down on the screw, so it doesnt slide out of the groove and start stripping.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2004, 04:09 AM

btw, enjoy your beefed up laptop. hey .. notice something for me. is your battery perfectly flush with your laptop before you took the battery out, but no longer flush after you place it back in?

johnzoidberg
Jun 5, 2004, 02:27 PM

If you have these small eyeglasses screwdrivers and are trying to open the compartment, wrap a rubber band tightly around the grip of the screwdriver and try again. It works for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules