Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > WoW - Ventrilo

WoW - Ventrilo
ferg
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2005, 08:00 AM

Anyone have any idea when the Mac Ventrilo client will be available? Or any other app that will work with the Ventrilo server? Desperately need for MC runs. Thanks.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2005, 08:48 AM

I have heard Teamspeak is working on a Mac release again, but no news on Ventrillo.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

dajk
Aug 21, 2005, 09:02 AM

I'm almost getting the urge to learn how to program just to write some sort of VoIP app for mac and windows ><

ferg  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2005, 10:31 AM

Yeah, but that still wont help us, if a guild is doing a run and want us to come, they are not all goin to download a new app just so the one Mac user out of 40 can hear the commands. If you can port Vent or create a client that works with the Vent sever, now that I would pay for.

Any idea how Vent works when run on VirtualPC, if I had that installed on my laptop and used that to communicate while I played on my desktop?

Thx

dajk
Aug 21, 2005, 12:27 PM

I know, I know

As long you don't run it on the same computer the wow client runs, it should work fine I guess

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2005, 05:33 PM

Don't both Vent and TS have linux clients ( I seem to remember atleast one of the two having a one). Anyway, wouldn't someone be able to run this on thier mac under OSX? I personally haven't checked it out yet, I just run TS on my PC and play WoW on my powerbook...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

dajk
Aug 21, 2005, 10:04 PM

Those are both x86 binaries, they won't work on the PPC architecture. Although they'll probably work on the Mactels.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2005, 11:23 PM

About Virtual PC... is that really worth the $249. It basically runs windows on your mac right? And could I play bigger app.s/games like Half-Life, Counter Strike, ect.?

Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by dajk
Those are both x86 binaries, they won't work on the PPC architecture. Although they'll probably work on the Mactels.
No they won't.

There are many problems:
- the libraries they might reference aren't going to link correctly
- system calls might be screwed up
- the way the code is loaded into memory varies from OS to OS

That's why there are always different binaries for Redhat, Madrake, SuSe.. even though they all run on X86.

But I can't understand why they can't just port the linux version to OS X. Hell, even if it's running under X11 it's better than nothing. It might not be trivial, but, it's not much more than a matter of getting the right libraries compiled for OS X, and working on issues of endianess.

Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Flip500
About Virtual PC... is that really worth the $249. It basically runs windows on your mac right? And could I play bigger app.s/games like Half-Life, Counter Strike, ect.?
VPC will probably suck up a lot of processor, and lag your game. Besides, at that price you could pick up a used, inexpensive PC that could run teamspeak.. or whatever.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2005, 11:08 AM

Oh... that is really disapointing.... but on my next computer hopefully I can dual boot with Mac OS and Windows OS (for games).

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 07:11 PM

VPC is basically outta the question b/c of it's resource needs.

You're best bet is to drop 40 or 50 bucks on a dino-pc and instal Vent/TS there. I managed to put together a 900mhz AMD Duron system from parts I had collected over the years.

baw
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 07:57 PM

but on my next computer hopefully I can dual boot with Mac OS and Windows OS (for games).
And that is a perfect example as to why the Mac game market is going to die.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2005, 09:52 PM

yeah, but on the other hand it will also be easier to port games from windows to mac so there really is two opitions. But I'd put money on the only truely "mac" games in a few years are going to be the blizzard one's that are programed for both systems....

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2005, 11:15 PM

Ah yeah i completely forgot it was for x86 linux... oh well

On another note I was thinking the same thing as Flip500. Won't it be much easier to port games over (or develop Mac and PC copies at the same time) when the intel based macs come out? I know very little about the porting process, so I don't know if this is true, just something I was thinking about also.
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T

Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2005, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by wuzup101
Ah yeah i completely forgot it was for x86 linux... oh well

On another note I was thinking the same thing as Flip500. Won't it be much easier to port games over (or develop Mac and PC copies at the same time) when the intel based macs come out? I know very little about the porting process, so I don't know if this is true, just something I was thinking about also.
If endianess is an issue (in porting to PPC) it might be easier. Still, compiling for PPC or x86 is trivial, and is handeled completely by the compiler (the programmer has only to click a little button, or add an extra option to the compiler).

However, the main challenge is not the processor that the program is executing on, it's the APIs, and Libraries on the host system. In the case of something made for Windows, the required APIs might not even exist on OS X (in which case glue code is written to interface with something comparible).

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2005, 12:02 PM

Woah, i never had any idea how simple... and yet so hard it was to port video games.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2005, 04:48 PM

VPC is basically outta the question b/c of it's resource needs.

You're best bet is to drop 40 or 50 bucks on a dino-pc and instal Vent/TS there. I managed to put together a 900mhz AMD Duron system from parts I had collected over the years.
Er, it does work, with Vent and TS, and when raiding MC. No Talking tho, just listening… </cough>

But yes, a $50 PC would be a better bet.

Also, things are looking good on the Ventrilo: Mac front…

-Owl

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2005, 08:01 PM

$50?? What kind of PC could you buy with that??

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2005, 12:40 AM

$50 would get you an old Pentium-II laptop.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2005, 03:30 AM

You can probably find a free PC that is more than capeable of handeling Vent or TS if you ask around. I know I personally have about 8 sitting in my basement that would handle it without any problems.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2005, 10:48 AM

Some of us have been trying this out:

http://www.gizmoproject.com/

It is still in beta but has a lot of promise.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2005, 11:37 PM

-Wow... but I don't think any people around me would have any "free" or close to free computers just lying around...

-That gizmo thing looks pretty cool... I might have to try it out. Can you talk to many people at once??

cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2005, 01:33 PM

Can you talk to many people at once??

"Conference calls are free and unrestricted in size."

interesting.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2005, 07:58 PM

I don't quite get what it says on there... so you can talk to as many people as you want at any given time??

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2005, 06:25 AM

The Dogcows used it the other night, with some pretty good results.

The more people that got on, the worse it got, but for the most part it was a usable option... that I guess can only get better!

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2005, 10:34 AM

that's good to hear... has any one heard any rumors about when Teamspeak 3 with mac support is going to be released??
( Last edited by Flip500; Aug 29, 2005 at 10:35 AM. Reason: I spellt hear here... and that made me feel stupid.)

PConvert
Aug 30, 2005, 03:29 PM

Give me VENTRILO!

On my mac!

I hate booting up this ugly dell! It does not deserve to sit next to my 17" PB!!! ><
-Philadelphia, PA-

dajk
Aug 31, 2005, 12:03 PM

I want to try Gizmo, but I get this error :/

Failed to register with server, an unknown error occurred.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2005, 04:59 PM

I'm going to try Gizmo now and me and my friend are going to try to use it tonight while playing Tactical Ops.

ferg  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2005, 03:01 PM

Gizmo looks cool, but it is useless to me as all the guilds on my server use Vent, now if there was a client out there that worked with both Vent and TS, that would be hot.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2005, 03:35 PM

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Ventrilo or TeamSpeak for OS X. Both sides have been promising a release one day, and both have shown little proof that it will happen soon.

I first started looking into both back when I played Shadowbane in 2003. Shadowbane was a Mac/PC PVP based MMO, and we had players in our guild on both platforms. I ran the voice chat server, and tried to get any response out of the devs on when a version would come out.

Teamspeak was given a few Macs from Apple to make it happen, and still nothing. The Ventrilo guy bought a Mac that had hardware problems, and that soured him on the idea for a while.

Here we are two years later, and nothing from either side. I'm guessing WoW will fall our of favor and we will all have Intel chips on our Macs before we see a native OS X Ventrilo or Teamspeak client at this rate.

Yes, I know both are free products for the end user, but it still sucks to hear empty promises.

And to the Ventrilo developers, you lost my support when you told people like me who had our own servers and ran them for free for our guild to basically go screw ourselves. For those that don't know, 2.2.0 of Ventrilo server limited you to 8 users on. The only way around this was to pay a hosting service somewhere for access to a Ventrilo server. The company was not interesting in allowing legitimate users like myself to even pay for the software to keep it on our own server.
<This space under renovation>

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2005, 10:31 PM

well I dont' know about Ventrillo but Teamspeak says it will DEFFINATLY have mac support when Teamspeak 3 comes out, but your right I wouldn't hold my breath for Teamspeak 3 because it looks like Teamspeak 2 is still going pretty strong.

SlideWRX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual
The Dogcows used it the other night, with some pretty good results.

The more people that got on, the worse it got, but for the most part it was a usable option... that I guess can only get better!

How many people did you get on? would it be usable for a 40 person raid, especially if most muted it?

Tom

ferg  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 08:53 AM

OK, I have VPC on my laptop, and ventrilo installed. I am runnin the server on my G5. My guildies can connect(although only 8max), they can hear me when I put to talk and say stuff, but when they talk I cannot hear them. is anyone familliar with the set up who can point me to the right button to get the audio to come through. I am hearing all the other vent sfx and system sounds with no prob.

any ideas?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2005, 08:15 PM

Hi Ca$h.

brian11smith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2006, 01:57 PM

Greetings,
I have a MacBook Pro .... just got latest version of Ventrilo. Trying to use with WoW. My guild server uses speex (lucky me). Ventrilo works as long as the Ventrilo window is active (i.e., selected). If I play in full screen mode (so that ventrilo window is underneath) it doesn't work. Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Sigmus

ferg  (op)
Forum Regular
May 2, 2006, 02:23 PM

You must have the "Enable Access For Assistive Devices" checked in the Universal Access in the System Preferences. I don't know why, but it works. You must also restart Vent before it takes effect.

brian11smith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2006, 02:38 PM

I had done the enable access thing .. but I hadn't restarted .... THANKS! Just spent 2 hours searching forums and it was just the old restart protocol ....

I forgot the golden rule of technical problems...

Check for power ... restart ...

Cheers,
Sigmus

Forum Links
Forum Rules