Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook concerns

Macbook concerns
syljua
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2006, 10:58 AM

I'm tempted to pick up my first mac when a smaller macbook comes out. Given the past apple track record, should I expect the same slew of problems on that new hardware as people are having on the 15" macbook pro. Or is it likely these new laptops will already have those problems ironed out.

I guess what I am saying is do you guys think these laptops will be fixed based off the problems already identified with the Pro, or will they stand independently with their own variety of early adopter glitches?

thanks for any help of opinion anyone out there can offer.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2006, 11:51 AM

It's impossible to know, these things don't seem to follow any kind of logic. Personally I'd wait as my 12" rev. A PB only lasted 2 years before keeling over and dying, but that's just my opinion.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by muleking
I'm tempted to pick up my first mac when a smaller macbook comes out. Given the past apple track record, should I expect the same slew of problems on that new hardware as people are having on the 15" macbook pro. Or is it likely these new laptops will already have those problems ironed out.

I guess what I am saying is do you guys think these laptops will be fixed based off the problems already identified with the Pro, or will they stand independently with their own variety of early adopter glitches?

thanks for any help of opinion anyone out there can offer.

I left my crystal ball at a friends house but as soon as I get it back I will go into a trance and let you know what to expect.

syljua  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2006, 03:18 PM

wow, crystal ball, thanks.

I was looking for some advice based on past experiences, thanks for the help, that sarcasm was brillian and biting.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2006, 05:24 PM

macintouch's website has an entire section devoted to the issue of whether initial editions of macintoshes are more or less reliable than later editions of the same model.

With some (such as the PB15 Al, or the iBook logicboard problem), there was a real screen issue that was subsequently resolved.

For most models, however, so-called 'revA' models were not substantively more likely to need repairs than 'revB' or 'revC' editions.

Logically, Apple DOES learn from customers and makes their products better with experience.

If you want to minimize any risk, buy a stock machine from an Apple Store, open it up before you leave and make sure it runs, there are no dead pixels, and it does not have the obvious screen or processor whine.

Then take it home, try not to let your kids spill apple juice (or your cat leave other biological fluids near the power cord adapter), and Enjoy!

Skeptik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2006, 06:28 PM

If Apple learns from experience then why did they put a 'known' dodgy superdrive in the new iMac? There are a lot of moans about slow write speed on their support forum.

john h
Apr 13, 2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by vamp07
I left my crystal ball at a friends house but as soon as I get it back I will go into a trance and let you know what to expect.
My crystal ball told me dance with who I brought to the dance which was a G4 1.67. I elected to move up from a G 867 rather than the MacBook just last week. I used to be a test pilot and things have a way of breaking when any new model of anything comes out. After you trail blazers have worked it all out I will join the Intel parade. I am a "retired" test pilot. Don't do those foolish things anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules