Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird 10.3 Networking

Weird 10.3 Networking (Page 3)
digital_dreamer
Nov 13, 2003, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by JayJay1974:
I found out that the little window with the cancel button does indeed show up, but UNDER any finder windows. Finder hangs upon waiting for the click to cancel. You can kill the process that brings up the window with the cancel button. If I remember correctly, it's called UIServer or something like that (I can't get it to fail now!) Use Activity Monitor and sort by % CPU to find the offender. Kill this and the finder will come alive again.

JJ
This was my experience, too.
I'd get the beachball, but after a minute and a-half of twiddling thumbs it times out and I see the dialog. But, I never could see the dialog during the beachball, because the dialog box was behind the browser window and I couldn't move the window out of the way! I found it by accident using Expos� (desktop). I'd see both the window and dialog move out. But, I couldn't use Expos� (application windows), as the only window visible is the browser window?? Lame. Lame.

And, not all the Appletalk shares show up in the browser, so it's useless to me.

regards,
MAJ

ss1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 08:00 AM

I'm worried now. In Jaguar Samba worked great for my Linux and Windows boexes. I'm hopping that when I upgrade that it will still work as it did under Jaguar.....

ss1.

RyanG3
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 03:02 PM

Same networking problems here, all worked under Jaguar, in Panther it's all messed up, I don't have time to try and memorize the paths to all 100 different PCs I have to connect to. PCs no longer show up as they did with Jag, only way to connect is knowing its exact location, lame. So I installed Dave, the PCs now show up but when I connect I can't un connect without restarting. When I connect to the Macs in my office thru the Network Icon in the finder, I right click (control click) the Macs icon and choose to eject it or drag to trash or command "E" and it works, with PCs no luck, takes a restart. I'm not a Terminal using person, but is their an easy way to disconnect a PC without restarting? Boy I sure hope Apple makes this networking more Mac like and user friendly, this sucks.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 04:41 PM

Good news. Over on the Apple board the news is that this is being investigated by Apple. I would expect a solution at some point.

Avice to folks using Jaguar who need reliable network conectivity would be to hold fire until this is sorted.

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 10:45 PM

Apple's Network Solutions Site For Panther:

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/panther/network/

Tom C
Nov 15, 2003, 01:16 AM

Well, whatever the problem is, it appears to be something in the proprietary OS X layers, not in Darwin. Try doing...

smbclient -L yourhostname

...and you should be able to see the shares on your SMB network without a problem. (At least it worked for me, and I haven't been able to browse the SMB network in the Finder since the first time I booted Panther.)

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2003, 04:48 AM

I also has serious problem with Panther Networking after upgrade from 10.2.

I have a Xp box and my PB connecting to a Linksys router to share Internet access.

Using Windows Sharing, I can use my Xp box to login to my PB using something like \\192.168.1.100\username. However, when I try to transfer files (1GB+ in size), sometimes I can get about 8MB/sec but sometimes it is down to about 310kB/sec (and it stay at that level). All these readings are from Activity Monitor.

Has anyone with this problem similar to mine?

I remember back in the days of 10.2, transfer files between the 2 machines is very fast and stable transfer.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

Mr.Clicky
Nov 18, 2003, 12:34 AM

I had 3 Macs on my home network two of which were running Panther, the other Jaguar. Neither Panther machine will connect to each other or the Jag system but the latter can easily connect to either via the finder. To get the two Panther machines to talk I had to connect them directly via Ethernet (not forgetting to switch personal file sharing on).

Panther is ruining a perfectly simple home network that 'twasn't broke.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 10:18 AM

I can log in to my home machine (running 10.3) via FTP now, using Transmit, but it hangs for over 2 minutes on "Retrieving list of files." Transmit is the only FTP program patient enough to wait it out. Captain FTP and Fetch both time out before it loads the list.

I tried it on 3 different users this morning, and they all log in very quickly, like 1 or 2 secs, then the wait...

Supwidat?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Lebodde
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 01:26 PM

Man, is this irritating or what???

I have 2 iMacs at home with a Linksys router going to a cable modem. They can still connect to the modem and I can still print from one machine to the printer which is on the other machine, but it is impossible to open one machine on the other. In Jaguar all I had to do was choose Go > Connect to Server and the name of the second machine would show up and, after entering the password, connection was almost instantaneous.

Now that I updated to 10.3, the name does not appear in the same window anymore and when I try to connect via the afp address I get the beach ball for 120 seconds and it tells me that the server cannot be found. Pretty weird considering that it can find it easily when I need to print something.

One possible hint. As I was searching all over for a solution, I clicked on System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall. This used to say that the Fireawall was on but now it says Firewall unavailable because "Other firewall software" is running onthis computer. Huhhh? I do not use any third party software on this machine, only the stock Apple stuff. Where does this "other firewall software" idea come from?

( Last edited by Lebodde; Nov 18, 2003 at 01:32 PM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Lebodde:
Man, is this irritating or what???

I have 2 iMacs at home with a Linksys router going to a cable modem. They can still connect to the modem and I can still print from one machine to the printer which is on the other machine, but it is impossible to open one machine on the other. In Jaguar all I had to do was choose Go > Connect to Server and the name of the second machine would show up and, after entering the password, connection was almost instantaneous.

Now that I updated to 10.3, the name does not appear in the same window anymore and when I try to connect via the afp address I get the beach ball for 120 seconds and it tells me that the server cannot be found. Pretty weird considering that it can find it easily when I need to print something.

One possible hint. As I was searching all over for a solution, I clicked on System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall. This used to say that the Fireawall was on but now it says Firewall unavailable because "Other firewall software" is running onthis computer. Huhhh? I do not use any third party software on this machine, only the stock Apple stuff. Where does this "other firewall software" idea come from?

Do a search here. That "other firewall" thing came up a little while back. I think it had something to do with Net Barrier, tho I'm not sure.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Lebodde
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 11:47 PM

Thanks very much Chris V. I found the following thread which offers a very good solution. It did not involve Net Barrier (whatever that is) however.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=184220

It's still weird that you have to jump through this hoop, though. Imagine the number of people who are not on these types of boards and who don't have a clue as of what to do...

Thanks again.

Lebodde
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2003, 02:32 PM

A SOLUTION AT LAST!

As I mentioned above, I was also afflicted with the problem of not being able to connect to other machines after upgrading to 10.3. I also noticed the issue of "Another firewall software" running. It turns out that, in my case at least, the two are very much related.

After checking the thread mentioned above, I followed eScrib's suggestion of running this command in the Terminal:

sudo ipfw -f flush

This basically cleaned up some mess created by the upgrade. After that, I went back to the FIrewall tab and was able to turn Firewall On. I then tried the Connect to Server option which was working in Jaguar but not in Panther and, lo and behold, it now works! So this might be the problem for other people as well.

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 02:35 PM

Well at last there's a first attempt at fixing network browsing for windows shares on panther:

Fix from MacOSXHints

Still trying to make it work...

cu Martin

doof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2003, 03:05 AM

Mac computers on our network were appearing in the Network browser but when I tried to connect to a user I got da spinning beach balls.

After trying some of the suggestions on this forum this is what worked for me. First I Connect To Server directly using the "username.local". That worked. I immediately dismounted the drive. I then tried to network again in Network browser and now it works every time.

Tomorrow see if we can the pcs up too!

Macdizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2003, 11:45 AM

After the flaky networking of Panther and wasting lots of time trying to network with my XP boxes, and getting all sorts of strange results like empty folders, missing folders/servers, I decided to give up and wait for the next update from Apple. Its just wasting too much of my time, trying all sorts of things and not getting very far. I really must say that this time, Apple screwed up pretty bad.

Now, I just use VPC with Win2000 to access the network and I gave NO problems. Shame on you, Apple.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2003, 11:54 AM

Has anyone simply reverted back to 10.2? I must say I noticed very little if any speed increase in Panter anyway, except for specific GUI things like menu speeds and window dragging. My mom, knowing nothing about it, even asked me know day how come her ibook is so slow now, after I installed 10.3 on it. I've noticed no shorter boot time on any machine using 10.3 over 10.2. I only connect Apple to Apple machine over my network, and all with static IPs, but if I was having the problems you guys are, with dynamic interenal IPs and windows machines, i'd be back on 10.2.8 in a heartbeat.

Macdizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2003, 11:40 PM

I know it is not very productive to vent at Apple, but it is very puzzling how such a key issue as networking could be messed up like this when they have already gotten it right with 10.2. This seemed to me to be very windows-like behaviour.

Nevertheless, I must say that there have been speed improvement on bootup, and most programs that I use, do run faster with Panther. Expose, file vault and quick user switching are really cool features too.

All said and done, yes, I would have reverted to 10.2 in a heartbeat if I didn't have VPC running, as I can do flawless networking with it.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2003, 11:47 PM

I don't really have a use for quick user switching, though if I did it would be cool. And Expose is GOD. I just don't see the speed increases though. But whatever overall everything really runs great. My grandma has a dell with XP and we tried to install iTunes on it tonight and man nothing but problems, what a POS! I would never buy a PC!!

Falconward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 11:57 AM

Hi all
I recently got a stock 15" PB. It currently has system 10.3 on it. I've looked all over different forums for the anwser to my problem but I haven't found it yet. My network is just plain screwy. Somtimes it workes other time it doesn't. here what happens

I also have a G4 MDD, a 5 port 10mbps ethernet hub and a brother network printer. The G4 running 10.2.8, the printer and the hub seem to like each other and always work togeather. Not so with the PB. About half the time the PB will not pick up anything over the network. The G4, nor the printer, nothing. The other half it will. I don't change any settings, and I've even tried going direct between the two computers using the cable the G4 uses so i know that cable works. I have found a temperatary solution however. Also simple restarts, log-outs, and sleeps don't help, it works almost everytime if I put it to sleep, unplug the power and then wake it up. The key is unplugging the power. What could possibly be wrong here?!??!

I have tried everything from updateing to 10.3.1, then erashign the HD and reinstalling 10.3.0 I just don't get it, I'm going to take it in to be looked at but i'm scared that it will work for them at the time and then I'll be out of luck. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks
Falconward
-ahh yeah!

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 02:55 AM

Ok. 10.3.2 out, bu my Windows SMB shares problems (logging in to a server on the network; mount_smbfs: tree connect phase failed: syserr = Permission denied) haven't solved at all, they didn't een change.

Well, 10.3.3 maybe?
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

pwolfe1
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 12:50 PM

this is getting a little bit rediculous. cmon apple...its just samba, how hard can it be!?

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Jerommeke:
Ok. 10.3.2 out, bu my Windows SMB shares problems (logging in to a server on the network; mount_smbfs: tree connect phase failed: syserr = Permission denied) haven't solved at all, they didn't een change.

Well, 10.3.3 maybe?
I said this in the 10.3.2 thread as well, but it seems to work here also...my apologies.

After weeks on the phone with Apple our IT guy got nowhere on the SMB Authentication issue some are having.

One hour on the phone with Microsoft fixed the issue. He got it working now, but only had this to say about Panther.

"well looks like panther is a step backwards looks like it cant do secure channel authentication"

Im not a network guy, so I have NO idea what that means.

Doesn't really metter that much for us. We could connect via AFP no problem all this time. Why he is so gung-ho about using SMB is beyond me.

vidiot1701
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2003, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by quadgrande:
Serious issues here (requires restart)

1. Laptop browses to another Apple computer via Finder. Connect and transfer files.
2. Close lid, take laptop to meeting.
3. Open lid, Finder freezes.

This scenario requires a HARD REBOOT to fix. Hold down the power button for 5 seconds folks.

I gave the finder 15 minutes to come back. It never did. I tried umount -f on the mount, never returned. Eventually the load on the box reached 5. I killed the Finder numerous times.

AWFUL JOB APPLE
This has been happening to me as well, ever since upgrading to Panther. I use my laptop at work, close the lid, open it up at home...Finder freeze. So I have to do a Force Restart. And then when I do the reverse (home to work) the same darned thing happens.

I figured by 10.3.2 Apple would have fixed this by now.

BUT it seems as though you have to make sure you have "ejected" any networked computers that you have connected to. Sadly, they don't make this obvious. If you connect through the "Network" icon in the Finder and browse to the computer and connect, you don't get a new Icon in the side panel with an eject button. So it's very easy to forget you are connected.

FIX THIS!!!!
Robert - Mac Addict since 1984

Titanium Powerbook 500/512MB/30GB
iMac G4 800/256MB/60GB
OS X

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Macdizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2003, 08:24 PM

Ahhhhh.... the joy of SMB networking with Panther! I am now back tp 10.2.8 and SMB networking is now working again!

patricr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2003, 01:16 PM

After this (Panther) security update (12-19-03) I can now see my SMB servers (Win98 and XP) and log on and see all the files! This only works if I click on Network in a finder window. Apple K and Browse does nothing. Anybody else have this improvement?

pat++
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 06:22 AM

I tried to transfer a big .mov file between 2 iBooks connected directly with an ethernet cable. The network transfer is RIDICULOUSLY SLOW. When using the Finder, I get 450kb/sec. If I use terminal with ftp, I get 3.5mb/sec. This is ridiculous. Come'on Apple !!!!!!!!!!! I used to get 8mb/sec with Jaguar. grrrrr

porieux
Baninated
Jan 6, 2004, 04:47 PM

Browse Network simply doesn't work in Panther!

All it does is open some stupid Finder window with an alias to your hard drive in it. Reminds me very much of Windows

Jaguar could find Windows machines as well as Macs on the local network.

Panther can't even find other Macs!!!!

What was the point of Rendezvous again

Hans M Aus
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2004, 11:14 PM

My observation on our OSX 3.2 Xserver:

With AppleTalk turned ON, the AppleTalk zone and the Windows workgroups continuously and sporadically drop in and out in the Network display.

With ATK turned OFF the Windows computers are rock solid in the Network display.

ATK never drops on our OS9 Macs in the Chooser.
Cheers, Hans M. Aus, Würzburg,

macbuddha1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2004, 12:00 AM

Just getting my 2 bits in on this- there is no networking at all through AirPort. None. Extreme, snow, graphite, doesn't matter. On every Airport computer in my network at home and at work. What a mess. Anyone hear anything back from Apple? This sounds like a pretty common problem that they should be able to fix pretty easily...
All Mac since 1987.
www.mactechedu.com

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 12:06 AM

They need to revert back to 10.2's network browser and features. It worked perfectly. What they have now is a mess. Make sure you have every Mac on your network's IP memorized, or else good like trying to connect, and no chance using DHCP.

kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2004, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Hans M Aus:
My observation on our OSX 3.2 Xserver:

With AppleTalk turned ON, the AppleTalk zone and the Windows workgroups continuously and sporadically drop in and out in the Network display.

With ATK turned OFF the Windows computers are rock solid in the Network display.

ATK never drops on our OS9 Macs in the Chooser.
Turning off AppleTalk on my machines initially had no effect whatsoever. But, after rebooting both, networking has been seamless. I can see my eMac from my iBook and Win2000 box, my iBook from eMac and Win box. It now "just works". I will say though, that I was really pissy about the whole thing for a long time. No more AT for me, ever.

Good luck to those still struggling w/ this.

Kevin

DrPhips
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2004, 01:13 PM

After reading through this thread I have hope that someone can provide a mac newbie a solution.

I am a departmentt administrator at our university (JCU) whose networking is handled by a win2000 server. I am looking for a way to access my web folder on our university server that I was able to 'map' to on my former XP machine.

I cannot browse to network folders that are secured and am almost certain that this problem is caused by not logging into our server like I would login to XP and that the system is keeping me out because of it.

In the past I needed to login using a userName, password, and do it on a specific domain. I'm wondering if there is some way to bring up a dialog box, or send my login to the server so that it will let me in.
( Last edited by DrPhips; Jan 12, 2004 at 01:56 PM. )
"Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk."

redJag
Senior User
Jan 18, 2004, 02:37 AM

are you using active directory? if so, go to /Applications/Utilities/Directory Access, turn it on and configure it.
Travis Sanderson

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 05:15 PM

As a technically illiterate designer all I want is for my Mac not to hang when I get home having been connected to the office server but not demounted correctly because the volume won't show on the desktop or in the sidebar. Is this really something that apple "forgot" about when designing Panther or am I missing a pref. I have selected show servers on desktop and in sidebar but they remain invisible, hence non demountable!
If this is a real problem than apple needs to take all the zillion guys they put onto giving us Expose and tell them to get the friggin basics right so we can actually do some work on our machines! Gah! Think different - try just thinking!

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Andrew Stephens:
As a technically illiterate designer all I want is for my Mac not to hang when I get home having been connected to the office server but not demounted correctly because the volume won't show on the desktop or in the sidebar. Is this really something that apple "forgot" about when designing Panther or am I missing a pref. I have selected show servers on desktop and in sidebar but they remain invisible, hence non demountable!
If this is a real problem than apple needs to take all the zillion guys they put onto giving us Expose and tell them to get the friggin basics right so we can actually do some work on our machines! Gah! Think different - try just thinking!
This problem went away for me with Panther. However, I don't know why they don't show in the Finder desktop or sidebar. Have you tried to see if this problem exists in a new user?
Have you deleted the com.apple.finder.plist file in your user preferences folder?

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 05:52 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
This problem went away for me with Panther. However, I don't know why they don't show in the Finder desktop or sidebar. Have you tried to see if this problem exists in a new user?
Have you deleted the com.apple.finder.plist file in your user preferences folder?
Hi

deleted file no change. same on all users and on my desktop g4 1Ghz and PB G4 both. network browser shows and eject icon nxt to it but doen't seem to actually eject anything! Is there a keyboard or menu command for this?

A

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Andrew Stephens:
Hi

deleted file no change. same on all users and on my desktop g4 1Ghz and PB G4 both. network browser shows and eject icon nxt to it but doen't seem to actually eject anything! Is there a keyboard or menu command for this?

A
If you display your computer in the Finder sidebar, then all mounted volumes should show and you can right or control-click and be able to eject or simply drag it to the trash.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
If you display your computer in the Finder sidebar, then all mounted volumes should show and you can right or control-click and be able to eject or simply drag it to the trash.
If I go to the go - connect to server window and hit the clock icon I get a huge list of ip addresses some of which translate into addresses for networked Macs. If I open one of these it mounts a desktop image AND in the sidebar and it can be ejected and everything! This seems to be a real dogs breakfast as I don't really want to fill my lovely creative head with endless ip numbers. This is NOT mac computing! I would swap 20 expos�s for decent networking. Oh and Apple look at suitcase and then have another go at Font Book - actually just get Adobe to restart work on ATM cos Suitcase is a bit sucky compared to ATM but not nearly as sucky as Fontbook.

While on auto rant (and off topic) itunes store for the UK NOW and wtf is Sherlock still alive outside the US for?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2004, 03:55 PM

Suddenly, since the last security update, printer sharing has gone all weird on me. One minute there's shared printers there, and without the host computer even being used, the next minute they're just gone.

Sometimes turning printer sharing off then back on fixes the problem, sometimes it doesn't. There's no rhyme or reason to it that I can see.

All other network functions are working, like file sharing and ssh, so it's not the connection. (DHCP thru linksys router).

I've repaired permissions, fscked and run DiskWarrior on both machines.

CV

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Suddenly, since the last security update, printer sharing has gone all weird on me.
Did you ever get it fixed? I'm about to download the .3 update in the hope that it will fix networking. It seems to get worse every day...today, I couldn't browse or connect to either SMB or AFP shares at all.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Macola:
Did you ever get it fixed?
No. Machine A sees printers attached to machine B just fine, all day long. Machine B can only see printers attached to machine A sporadically at best.

If I turn printer sharing off and back on in the prefs on machine A, Machine B will see them for maybe 10 minutes, then they're gone again. Sometimes, I have to turn sharing off and back on 3 or 4 times before they'll show up.

I've deleted all the prefs I can think of, trashed and re-built all the printers in the Print Center, Rebooted both boxes, and still the same.

CV

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
It only enables you to browse AppleTalk networks.
*ahem*, what does the "Make AppleTalk Active" in Network Preferences do, then? I understand that to be able to see zones I have to enable AppleTalk in Directory access, but this leaves some confusion, yah?

I work tech support at a University in Northern California and all of our Mac staff and faculty rely on zones fairly heavily for file servers and printers, I can't picture this network without AppleTalk. If Apple is trying to phase out AppleTalk because it's too "chatty" then so be it, but man this is confusing.

What's goin' on?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Kees
Feb 29, 2004, 07:06 PM

another dumb thing with Panther networking is when you have cd inserted, and someone connects to your machine, Panther automatically shares the inserted disc and won't let you eject it until the network user disconnects.
I've been forced to hunt around the office a few times for people connected to my Mac because of this, incredibly stupid.

On the upside, i was privy to seeing build 7f34 of 10.3.3 in action for a little bit today, and with limited testing, it seems to have resolved all these quirks. Servers in the network folder now present a window ala 10.2, including keychain support and mounts only the shares you choose, and those show up on the desktop/in sidebar as one would expect.
Connections seemed much quicker also.

Hopefully Apple releases this asap for us mere mortals

Forum Links
Forum Rules