Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > NTFS under MacOS X 10.3

NTFS under MacOS X 10.3
MACALEX
Jan 18, 2004, 05:33 PM

mount_ntfs is kind cool, but it's only works under Darwin without GUI it's kind sucks to copy files specialy that have cyrillic names, you just can't copy them and it's still read only access like in BSD or Linux.
Anyone know if Apple plans to make normal read/write access to NTFS?

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 05:47 PM

Why don't you just use FAT32 instead of NTFS if you want a read/write file system under OS X?

btw, you can read NTFS disks with a GUI, it's called Finder
( Last edited by pat++; Jan 18, 2004 at 06:07 PM. )

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2004, 03:34 AM

Originally posted by MACALEX:
...it's still read only access like in BSD or Linux.
Anyone know if Apple plans to make normal read/write access to NTFS?
Read/write NTFSS in Linux has been around for a while now. I suspect it would be available for the BSD's too. I'm sure Apple will do read/write soon - they will have to eventually. It is the default file system for Windows nowadays.

MACALEX  (op)
Jan 19, 2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
Why don't you just use FAT32 instead of NTFS if you want a read/write file system under OS X?
What if you already have a disk that has an NTFS and you have to copy files from this disk directly, not via net from PC, I prefer to use Firewire box if I need to transfer 100Gb or more.

btw, you can read NTFS disks with a GUI, it's called Finder
Yes, no kidding. Did you try? Doesn't work.
You could only see NTFS in Terminal or use Fugu for exampe with GUI, but not Finder. Smart Franch ass!

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 01:26 PM

You could only see NTFS in Terminal or use Fugu for exampe with GUI, but not Finder. Smart Franch ass!
A Russian and a Frenchmen are arguing. I predict hilarity to come out of this.

NTFS disks can in fact be read via the Finder, I've done it, and it's quite painful.

I suspect Apple won't be able to implement NTFS read/write without MS breathing down their throats. So we'll have to wait for someone to port it on their own time.

"Do I need to draw a diagram for you then to tell you that nerdy 16-17 year olds, fat chicks and old men turn my crank then? Will you understand it then or don't you follow still chris." - Landos Mustache

iohead
Jan 19, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by WJMoore:
Read/write NTFSS in Linux has been around for a while now. I suspect it would be available for the BSD's too. I'm sure Apple will do read/write soon - they will have to eventually. It is the default file system for Windows nowadays.
NTFS read-write support in Linux is (with respect to the "write" part):

1. experimental
2. very incomplete
3. unusable in real life

BSD's situation is similar.

Apple's situation is also similar.

Somebody recently implemented a way to use the NTFS driver from Windows on Linux (basically, you take the driver from your Windows installation, plus some other files, and through a software layer on Linux, make it believe that it is running under Windows, etc.) While this solution works better (for writing) than the current NTFS drivers on Linux/BSD/Mac OS X, it is messier legally.

Regards
Amit

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 05:58 PM

Sorry, I couldn't help

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Jan 19, 2004, 06:42 PM

I don't know if you have heard of Zeta, the successor of BeOS, developed by YellowTAB. YellowTAB has licensed technology from Paragon Software, so that Zeta 1.0 will be able to read/write NTFS volumes and even resize NTFS partitions without data loss.

I think it's quite strange that a tiny company like YellowTAB manages to get the technology to read/write NTFS and Apple Computer, "the world's largest UNIX supplier" doesn't .

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 07:02 PM

When I try to mount NTFS drive under Panther directly to my computer I get nothing, However, if I connect the drives via a bridge cable through my ADS Pyro external firewire drive they mount and I am able to read and write to them. I've done this with 2 different branded external firewire drives. As a matter of fact my nieghbor recently bought a drive that came NTFS formatted and he couldn't mount it. He brought it over to me and I mounted it and formatted it in HFS plus for him. Strange, huh?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2004, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Tsilou B.:
I don't know if you have heard of Zeta, the successor of BeOS, developed by YellowTAB. YellowTAB has licensed technology from Paragon Software, so that Zeta 1.0 will be able to read/write NTFS volumes and even resize NTFS partitions without data loss.

I think it's quite strange that a tiny company like YellowTAB manages to get the technology to read/write NTFS and Apple Computer, "the world's largest UNIX supplier" doesn't .
How well does it work, though?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

P
Jan 21, 2004, 06:03 PM

There is a project for read/write NTFS support for OS X:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ntfsosx/

Only development versions yet, though.

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2004, 03:21 PM

i too wish it could read and write ntfs. i have a 120GB firewire drive id like to just move back and forth between my PC and my macs. i use NTFS on the drive since my PC needs it more than my macs and i dont like the FAT32 file system. plus, partitioning a firewire harddrive of 120GB in size to the FAT32 format is not a simple task in windows.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

K++
Senior User
Jan 22, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
Sorry, I couldn't help
Arghh and the frenchmen already gave up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules