Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Swiz's Be theme, update?

Swiz's Be theme, update?
iamnotmad
Senior User
Mar 31, 2004, 05:33 PM

Hey Sqiz, any update on this one? I would love to see this updated complete with safari skin! yay! Thanks.

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2004, 05:44 PM

It was in the works. On swiz's forums he noted it would come out before the Cap/Orbital update. Recently I know he has been busy with freelance work and of course the MacThemes.net bit... I imagine the BeOS update is not too far away. Looking forward too it myself.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2004, 05:46 PM

I hope we get an update to this one too.

Actually, I'd take an update to anything if it included an iTunes appskin. Nudge nudge wink wink Orbital .

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2004, 06:00 PM

another topic covered on swiz's forums... he's not adding appskins to any of his themes for iTunes until SS has more mature support.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2004, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by u2zoo:
another topic covered on swiz's forums... he's not adding appskins to any of his themes for iTunes until SS has more mature support.
Ah. Thanks. I did not know this.

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 31, 2004, 06:29 PM

I actually just started on it. Its tough though. Im getting used to my temporary setup. I sold my dual gig QS and am now working solely on my Al Book with my 20"LCD as a second monitor and believe it or not its kinda tough for me to get used to the little aluminum keyboard compared to the noraml Apple Pro keyboard. I have the blue tooth Apple keyboard coming in a day or two so then it will be back to normal.
That is until the new G5's are out and I get one.yay.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

iamnotmad  (op)
Senior User
Mar 31, 2004, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
I actually just started on it. Its tough though. Im getting used to my temporary setup. I sold my dual gig QS and am now working solely on my Al Book with my 20"LCD as a second monitor and believe it or not its kinda tough for me to get used to the little aluminum keyboard compared to the noraml Apple Pro keyboard. I have the blue tooth Apple keyboard coming in a day or two so then it will be back to normal.
That is until the new G5's are out and I get one.yay.
Coolness, thanks, looking forward to it.

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2004, 07:38 AM

Well if you *really* can't wait, there's a rather shabby port over at ResExcellence.

From the screenshot at least icons the are all wrong, some widgets not BeOSized, etc.

Think I'll just wait myself. Although, I'm curious to see what you will do for a metal texture swiz.

There is a great set of free BeOS icons out there already.

And if we bug Maur enough, maybe he'll update his BeOS cursors to a more modern cursorXP set so we can use them in MightyMouse.

Sidenote: I am still holding out hope that ShapeShifter will support the BeOS titlebar style someday as well.

mac15
Senior User
Apr 1, 2004, 08:09 AM

Makes you sick looking at all them unfinished themes in the Resex Archives! The BeOS theme is ugly. Its a mutant Aqua. I can't wait to see swizzles

Jaey
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2004, 06:04 PM

Orignally posted by mac15:
Makes you sick looking at all them unfinished themes in the Resex Archives!
Seriously... Why can't people finish a theme before submitting it?
Oh yeah swiz, I want BeOS too

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2004, 12:05 AM

Just noticed over at ResExcellence that the "BeOS Geek (screenshot) " theme was updated - tho not complete it looks like someone is making progress. Would have been better had they'd noted it was an alpha version, or posted it here for feedback... none the less at least some progress on this front.

As promised by the man himself, looks like Swiz has disappeared for the time being... anyone heard any word on what he is up too? Suppose it is best we just leave him in peace.

mac15
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 12:42 AM

Still looks ugly though

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 01:57 AM

...looks like Swiz has disappeared for the time being... anyone heard any word on what he is up too? Suppose it is best we just leave him in peace.
Probably busy realizing his assigned mockup into a theme (or at least he and the rest of that posse had better be )

iamnotmad  (op)
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 07:43 AM

Just noticed over at ResExcellence that the "BeOS Geek (screenshot) " theme was updated - tho not complete it looks like someone is making progress. Would have been better had they'd noted it was an alpha version, or posted it here for feedback... none the less at least some progress on this front.

As promised by the man himself, looks like Swiz has disappeared for the time being... anyone heard any word on what he is up too? Suppose it is best we just leave him in peace.
That is looking better but still does not compare to Swiz's! I'm gonna wait!

phillryu
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 07:53 AM

I don't understand how Resex gets all of these incomplete, in the works themes, while I haven't gotten a single email from these guys. Makes me sad.

But that's ok. hehe. Some of them are actually looking pretty cool (Metallica) but definitely there's a lot of work to do. We'll cover them when they've skinned all elements.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2004, 09:25 AM

Oh I wasn't suggesting this was a major improvement to the theme... but it looks as if it is going to be updated and not a typical release and forget thing. And my instincts tell me that Swiz's version will be much better (due to the extra spit & polish swiz gives all his themes). That said, as a theme enthusiast ... I just like to keep tabs on what people are doing.

I do not understand how some themes show up only in:
  • ResExc
  • MacUpdate
  • MacThemes
  • XThemes (naming?)
  • MacNN forums
  • author's personal sites never to be seen by anyone but the japanese public

Jaey
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 02:54 PM

Don't be sad phillryu *pat pat*. I wouldn't like to see MacThemes hosting billions of ugly, incomplete themes.

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2004, 02:25 PM

Looks like this is becoming the official BeOS theme thread. I just got an email back from mWorks studio. I asked about an update to his BeReal set to the CursorXP format for use in Mighty Mouse:

"That's a neat idea, actually. I think I would roll the two BeOS cursor sets into one, with a more polished look. I'd want to create the entire set as vector objects, so that I can produce an SVG set for the upcoming Gnome release. Hmm... would you want both my BeReal style, and the original BeOS monochrome cursor style, or just the former? It'd take a week or more though, I've got a lot of stuff to get through in the meanwhile."

So no timeline, but I'll responsibly keep on him to get it done.

iamnotmad  (op)
Senior User
Apr 19, 2004, 02:21 PM

Any update on this? (sorry, just a little anxious for this one!)

iamnotmad  (op)
Senior User
May 4, 2004, 09:15 AM

Any news here?
Thanks!

swiz
GUI Punk
May 4, 2004, 10:56 PM

So sorry its not available yet. I cant begin to explain how little time I have right now.
If memory serves correctly, I believe it is all done except for the packaging. I'll look into it and really try to post it by the end of the week.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

iamnotmad  (op)
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 07:38 AM

Wow - thanks Swiz!

Forum Links
Forum Rules