Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How Will $3-a-Gallon Gas Affect You?

How Will $3-a-Gallon Gas Affect You?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 01:10 PM

Experts predict $3 a gallon for gas soon.

(I have a feeling that this may turn into a political thread and if so then I guess it may get moved to the Political Lounge, but we'll start out here first.)

Will it affect you at all? I suppose this thread is directed more at U.S. citizens unless people in other countries will also soon see a rise in the prices of gas.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 01:14 PM

$3 a gallon would be about half of what I have to pay now, so I guess it would affect me by relieving my wallet (indirectly at least – I don't drive a car).

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 01:19 PM

It wouldn't affect me in any "bad" way at all. We live by a budget and we've made it so that "surprises" like this don't encroach upon our way of life, so if gas goes up, then money gets pulled from our "catch-all" budget amount.

Planning is one's friend.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 01:24 PM

my world will come to an end.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 01:37 PM

_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Experts predict $3 a gallon for gas soon.

(I have a feeling that this may turn into a political thread and if so then I guess it may get moved to the Political Lounge, but we'll start out here first.)

Will it affect you at all? I suppose this thread is directed more at U.S. citizens unless people in other countries will also soon see a rise in the prices of gas.
It won't since we pay twice as much

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 01:49 PM

well gas is 2.30 per gallon here in Reno, and since I drive a Civic, the 5 dollar per tank increase won't affect me at all... This is a good reason why our government should pay more attention to alternative forms of fuel instead of gas... Drives me nuts that our government has been bought out...

I want to get a hybrid next!

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 01:57 PM

I don't drive, so it'll just make all my food more expensive.
( Last edited by ReggieX; Jun 21, 2005 at 03:56 PM. )
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 01:57 PM

A lot of people will be looking at that, more so than are now, if it goes to $3.00/gal

-Owl

DeeKat
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2005, 01:59 PM

the gaz is going up in canada as well. I think it should be even more expensive so people with SUV might think twicw about buing those stupid huge trucks. I think the rise of gas prices is a great thing because I resent people who buy SUV for no real purpose ( and I see those all the time in Montreal) and it's OK if your a carpenter and you need to carry tools and wood around. But having a HUMMER!!! for somebody who does not even go camping but just shows off on the streets. It's really pathetic because they have no conscience of the environmental damage they are doing. I dont want to start a flame war but it's a hot issue for me.

DeeKat

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy
A lot of people will be looking at that, more so than are now, if it goes to $3.00/gal

-Owl
Whats even more exciting is the use of hydrogen in cars... It just has to pick up more intrest, and bang, water into fuel!

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 21, 2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by spatterson
well gas is 2.30 per gallon here in Reno, and since I drive a Civic, the 5 dollar per tank increase won't affect me at all... This is a good reason why our government should pay more attention to alternative forms of fuel instead of gas... Drives me nuts that our government has been bought out...

We are looking for alternative forms of fuel.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 02:01 PM

Most hybrids are butt ugly though, although they are getting better (Accord Hybrid, Escape Hybrid).

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by DeeKat
I dont want to start a flame war but it's a hot issue for me.
Its a hot issue for alot of us... Its just wasting our resources to drive such a huge monstrousity just for the heck of it... I mean, really its not nessesary.

My sister drive this huge chevy blazer, and its like built in the 80's... 8mpg... she is going to dread filling this sucker up... and I uderstand she can't just go out and buy a new car... but still I wonder how people are going to pay 3 bucks a gallon.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 02:07 PM

Since I work at an oil refinery, our margins will probably continue to be strong. Maybe I'll get another $1500 discretionary bonus like last month.

I don't care if gas goes up. The fact that demand at ~$2 a gallon has been something like 3% higher than last year at ~$1.25 means gas prices still aren't high enough.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 02:10 PM

I don't mind prices going up, but I just wish that price spiking would stop.

Example: On Sunday, where I live (Defiance, Ohio) the price for regular unleaded was about $1.909 a gallon. Yesterday (Monday), the price jumped to $2.259 a gallon. Today (Tuesday), the price dropped to $1.979 a gallon.

WTF?? A 35 cent increase in one day, only to drop by 28 cents the next day? I mean, c'mon!

Yes, gasoline in Europe is much more expensive, but at least prices stay more or less stable over time, only increasing or decreasing by one or two cents (if that, even) from day to day... when I was in Greece in March the price for one liter of regular unleaded gasoline was €0.905 (about US$4.60 a gallon at then-current exchange rates), on February 26. When I left Greece on March 26, the price was €0.915 a liter (about US$4.67 a gallon at then-current exchange rates). The price stayed the same for weeks at a time, and maybe went up or down by a cent (a single freakin' cent!) at any given moment.

Over here, the price would have been $1.759, then $1.859, then $1.959, then $1.949, then $2.189, then $2.109, then $2.159, and so on and so forth...

It's totally nuts. You can't effectively plan for things like this, other than setting aside a chunk of money for "catch-all" items, like Maury (RAILhead).

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2005, 02:12 PM

Ugh... Other countries pay twice as much for gas... America is the country of collective whiners.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 21, 2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Ugh... Other countries pay twice as much for gas...
Stop whining.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
You can't effectively plan for things like this, other than setting aside a chunk of money for "catch-all" items, like Maury (RAILhead).
Exactly. Those of us that plan aren't worried. I used to live without a firm budget for years, going check to check and fretting over things like gas pricing, etc.

Budgeting has saved us thousands upon thousands of dollars and removed all manner of financial burdens. Looking back, I can understand why I was so stressed and pent-up about money, and I don't see how we ever made it as long as we did!

Budgets are our friends, and items such as gas is one of the easiest things to budget for.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Ganesha
Senior User
Jun 21, 2005, 02:17 PM

$10 more per month. (Cause I live close enough to work to bike in, the car is just the errands to far to bike getter)

Whats even more exciting is the use of hydrogen in cars... It just has to pick up more intrest, and bang, water into fuel!
As a former industrial chemical worker, I do not trust the average american with handling either liquefied or high pressure hydrogen. I would support a system where only trained person (not high school students) were allowed to handling the fueling process. (i.e. a self server hydrogen fueling station is asking for someone to quickly Darwinize themselves.)

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2005, 02:23 PM

The price increase sucks for a large portion of this country. Unlike the rest of the world, our public transportation is horrible except for the large metro areas. In rural areas, there's no choice but to drive 15 or 20 miles one-way to work, unless of course all the tiny towns should be vacated and the residents move into the slightly larger town that they work in. Then again, these rural areas are the same places where everyone buys trucks and SUVs 'cause they are "cool."

America needs better and country wide public transportation. We also need people to wake up and buy cars which don't waste resources. And of course, alternative fuel sources would help too.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy

-Owl
I don't get why the US doesn't import more diesels. The fuel savings offered by hybrid cars is really minimal compared to diesel. Modern diesel engines are powerfull, clean and offer great mileage.

Warung
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 02:27 PM

Our institute is just working on a study for BMW regarding fuel cell and hydrogen powered engines. Looks pretty exciting. I predict that gasoline is soon going to be a thing of the past.

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
Stop whining.
Zimph, play nicely... no need to start flaming

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Xeo
America needs better and country wide public transportation. We also need people to wake up and buy cars which don't waste resources. And of course, alternative fuel sources would help too.
I would like to see a better adoption of a train system! That would be great... I remember living in Germany... I didn't even have a car, I just used the trains to get around, and had a bike to get to work... it was awesome.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 02:51 PM

Well, thank god I live in a city which has a gigantic and efficient 24-hour public transit system then And for the burbs there is Metro-North, Amtrak, LIRR, PATH, and NJ Transit. It's really true you don't need a car around these parts.

Heck, $2 for a subway ride isn't looking too bad anymore.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 02:53 PM

I would like to see a better adoption of a train system! That would be great... I remember living in Germany... I didn't even have a car, I just used the trains to get around, and had a bike to get to work... it was awesome.
Some American cities have good transit systems (D.C., NYC), some are mediocre (Boston, Philly) and others have horrible transit systems (LA, etc.) Nationwide rail is a choppier issue; it would serve some areas well (like the Northeast Corridor/Acela) but working on links between major cities especially through the middle parts of the US wouldn't make much sense.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by maxintosh
it would serve some areas well (like the Northeast Corridor/Acela) but working on links between major cities especially through the middle parts of the US wouldn't make much sense.
Humm, have they even fixed the Acela? now that you put that in perspective that makes sense. I still would like to see a better adoption of public transportation. I haven't visted NYC yet, but hear good things about their public transportation.

I used to live in Atlanta, and MARTA was ok for me... again I was in a situation where I didn't need a car, and just used the rail and my bike or legs!

Now I live in Reno, and depend on my Civic to get me around... I wouldn't dare touch Cityfare.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 03:02 PM

I wouldn't ride the subway or take public transportation because I'm a germaphobe. If I HAD to in an emergency, yes, but if I have the option, no way no how.

/just sayin

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 03:05 PM

Humm, have they even fixed the Acela? now that you put that in perspective that makes sense. I still would like to see a better adoption of public transportation. I haven't visted NYC yet, but hear good things about their public transportation.

I used to live in Atlanta, and MARTA was ok for me... again I was in a situation where I didn't need a car, and just used the rail and my bike or legs!

Now I live in Reno, and depend on my Civic to get me around... I wouldn't dare touch Cityfare.
No, the Acela should return in July... *sigh*... I would love to see a good national rail company but Amtrak isn't it. However, this breakdown was probably aggravated by the ridiculous weight standards the federal government puts on passenger rail in the states... the Acela was called "Le cochon" or the pig where it was built, because it had to be nearly twice as heavy as the TGV trains.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 03:10 PM

TGV trains.
I haven't been on a TGV train, but have used the DB's ICE trains alot... they are not as fast but they are really comfortable.

Originally Posted by RAILhead
I wouldn't ride the subway or take public transportation because I'm a germaphobe. If I HAD to in an emergency, yes, but if I have the option, no way no how.

/just sayin
I understand, get a huge body suit from the CDC and wear it into the subway... it will do two things, scare the hell out of the passengers, and be a pain in the a## for you.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 03:11 PM

but working on links between major cities especially through the middle parts of the US wouldn't make much sense.
Why is that ?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2005, 03:12 PM

I drive about 3 miles/day, so I don't think it will affect me very much.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
I drive about 3 miles/day, so I don't think it will affect me very much.
Man if I drove three miles a day, I would just get a bike.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Why is that ?
Distance. The US is very spread out in most areas. Links like Boston-NY-DC make sense because they run in times competitive to the time an airplane would take (incl. transit from the station/airplane) and the extra time hit is traded for comfort and low-stress.

I'm a huge rail transit advocate but I wouldn't take a 23 hour train ride when airplanes are available for cheaper.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 21, 2005, 03:16 PM

Zimph, play nicely... no need to start flaming
You must have missed the post I was replying to if you think *I* was flaming.

But I wont hold it against you.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 03:17 PM

I haven't been on a TGV train, but have used the DB's ICE trains alot... they are not as fast but they are really comfortable.
The ICE is cool too. The Acela is quite comfortable, very smooth and quiet and the food is actually decent.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2005, 03:17 PM

In reality, it wouldn't change much for me. I full up the tank about once every other week. I'm currently paying around $21 to fill up the tank... so it would be about $30 to fill up the tank.

If anything, I might try to combine more "quick trips" which would be good IMHO.

I would also laugh more at my friend driving around his H2.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 03:23 PM

Personally I think the price of fuel should be linked to the fuel efficiency of your engine. When you purchase your car you get a smart card that's linked to your car by a proximity sensor. You'll hand that card to the guy at the filling station and the correct level of pollution tax is automatically deducted.

That'll teach these SUV driving idiots.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2005, 03:23 PM

Man if I drove three miles a day, I would just get a bike.
I might do, but that would require me to wake up earlier so I could still catch my train. Waking up and I do not get along so well.

Also, on hot days it would mean getting my work clothes sweaty, on rainy days getting them wet, and on some days trying to bike home while mostly asleep (I fell asleep standing up on the train home yesterday, although I probably shouldn't be driving on days like that either). Fortunately, I live in the SF bay area, so it only gets hot for a couple weeks a year and even then not in the morning. So I guess I could reduce my car usage to the winter months when it rains.

andi*pandi
Jun 21, 2005, 03:27 PM

both me and the husband have pretty short commutes, so car-wise it won't be too bad. However, as someone up there said, look for something like this to effect food prices and other things that are trucked around.

thinking hybrid for next car as well.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 03:55 PM

...and everyone thinks that I'm only referring to automobiles. I'm not. I foresee a winter where retirees and people on fixed social security incomes (little old ladies) have a very hard time: Stay warm or buy food or medicine.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Give me a break.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2005, 03:57 PM

Stop whining.
Duh. He wasn't whining.
Maybe you shouldn't have cut his post into half, then you would have noticed.

-t

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
I don't get why the US doesn't import more diesels. The fuel savings offered by hybrid cars is really minimal compared to diesel. Modern diesel engines are powerfull, clean and offer great mileage.
Oddly enough, in the United States of "We still need more research on Global Climate Change" modern diesels are still not clean enough. Particulates and sulfur are a bitch to meet here for diesel engines.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
Give me a break.
What do you mean, "give me a break"? You sound like an idiot posting something like that seeing as how you know absolutely nothing personal about me. I hope no one in your family ever has a condition you think is "stupid."

Get a grip, do some research. It's called Misophobia.

Maury

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
That'll teach these SUV driving idiots.
Sounds like a good idea, but how would you tell the difference between a SUV driver out of necessity and a SUV driver out of idiocy?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 04:22 PM

We are looking for alternative forms of fuel.
yeah bush is all over that

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 21, 2005, 04:22 PM

$3 a gallon is no biggie. As others have said, Europeans have long been paying out of their asses for gas, and if it gets a bit more expensive in the US, then big deal. Perhaps some obese people will be forced to walk some more.

The USA sits upon vast untapped resources of oil which will be tapped in the future, and eventually we will no longer need to seek out oil from hateful, primitive countries in the middle east and elsewhere.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 21, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Duh. He wasn't whining.
Yes, yes he was. He called American's complaining about gas prices whiners.

To him that is whining.

He was complaining that the price of gas was TWICE that where he lived.

So under his same def, he would be whining too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules