Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Quicksilver G4 as a media centre

Quicksilver G4 as a media centre
zgall1
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2007, 08:12 PM

I'm looking to set up my old Quicksilver G4 as a media centre. I obviously will need some way to hook it up to a TV. Anybody know where I can find a PCI card that will let me do this? Thanks.

P
Dec 31, 2007, 09:17 AM

Your best bet is probably not a PCI card but a USB box, such as EyeTV.

zgall1  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2007, 12:38 PM

I checked out the site. It seems that all of the products are for recording TV shows onto my computer. I don't see much about video out to connect my G4 to a TV to watch shows that I have downloaded. Am I missing something?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2008, 01:36 PM

My Quicksilver is noisy. Make plans to put it up in a closet or something, so you can hear your media over the fans.

Also, check your TV -- the one I just bought has about 20 different connectors on it, including a VGA port. Not that VGA would be optimal for digital content, but it'd function with my current video card.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

P
Jan 2, 2008, 11:31 AM

Sorry, reading too fast for my own good.

What you need is a GPU with TV out, but as chris says you might want to check what kind of connectors you already have on your Mac and on your TV. Take a picture of the backplates and post it if you don't know what the ports are called.

zgall1  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2008, 08:43 PM

In terms of video out, I only have the standard VGA and maybe one of the proprietary Apple connections. I am buying a new TV soon for use with this computer (hopefully) but I don't think it will have a VGA port. What do you mean by GPU with TV out? Can you give me an example? Thanks.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 10:51 PM

I agree. The QS G4 is pretty noisy for this purpose.

P
Jan 3, 2008, 12:05 PM

GPU=graphics processor unit, but I meant the graphics card. Almost all graphics cards for sale since several years back have supported at least S-video out on the graphics card - my latest could also be convinced to produce composite and component video out. The easiest way to get TV out, then, would be to upgrade the graphics card to one that has at least the S-video port.

Most new TVs actually support VGA, although this is not as much advertised as it might be. Some refer to the port as an RGB port, other as DB15. Look for it when you buy your TV - the image will be way better than with S-video.

Another option is to use the ADC port and convert it back to DVI, which is accepted on many newer TVs. You might also have to convert that DVI on to HDMI, which would create a bit of a cable tangle, but it works and since the signal is all digital, you don't lose anything.

zgall1  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2008, 04:06 PM

Thanks P.

Can anyone give me a specific recommendation for a video card that will work with the G4? Also, I wanted to clarify - is this just something I put in the PCI slot?

Forum Links
Forum Rules