Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cube Problems

Cube Problems
bbrowne74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2003, 01:45 AM

Got me a Cube and it arrived on Friday. Stock setup incl. the Rage 128 Pro card. Does have 640MB RAM/40GB/DVD.

I wiped it out to reinstall from scratch. Got OS9 working on it, but for some reason when it gets to the ATI Accelerator Extension (ver 5.4.9) it freezes up. If I don't have that one load upon boot it boots fine!

When I got to OS X isntall I get through the install but it will freeze at various points throughout startup on the OS X Splashscreen or at some point when the Aqua UI is loading up.

Am I missing something? I do have the latest Firmware on the machine.
17" iMac Core 2 Duo 1.5GB/160GB/SuperDrive
MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz 2GB/160GB/Superdrive
5G 60GB iPod w/ Video White
1G 4GB iPod Nano White
1G 1GB iPod Shuffle

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 03:15 AM

i couldn't tell you, download the latest firmware.. it's on the Jag CD.

I wouldn' tworry about trying to make that driver for the video card work it's junk anyway and you should replace it asap.

Cipher13
Feb 24, 2003, 05:08 AM

Originally posted by bbrowne74:
Got me a Cube and it arrived on Friday. Stock setup incl. the Rage 128 Pro card. Does have 640MB RAM/40GB/DVD.

I wiped it out to reinstall from scratch. Got OS9 working on it, but for some reason when it gets to the ATI Accelerator Extension (ver 5.4.9) it freezes up. If I don't have that one load upon boot it boots fine!

When I got to OS X isntall I get through the install but it will freeze at various points throughout startup on the OS X Splashscreen or at some point when the Aqua UI is loading up.

Am I missing something? I do have the latest Firmware on the machine.
Does it kernel panic? Could be a bad card, or a bad RAM module.

niji
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 07:44 AM

assuming that you are correct, and you do have the recommended firmware upgrade (which is critical), if i were you, i would wipe the disk again, and to get to 10.2.4 i would do it in two stages:
1. install os x first from the jag cd. install it by itself. without 9 at all.
2. install os 9 separately
2. then install the combo update to get you to os 10.2.4

bbrowne74  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2003, 09:43 AM

Thanks for all the replies!

I do have the 4.19 firmware update. I did start with an OS9 install (originally 9.0.4) from the Cube CDs. I did get that ATI Accelerator problem, but the hardware check CD said I don't have any hardware problems.

One thing I did noitce after I originally typed this post up was that I got through to a full boot and was about 10 seconds into playing around in Aqua when I closed a window the window "reappeared" smaller and with a hazy font, and the system "locked up". It seems to be a VidCard issue, but I'm not sure if it's a bad card or just a bad install.
1G 4GB iPod Nano White
1G 1GB iPod Shuffle

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by bbrowne74:
Thanks for all the replies!

I do have the 4.19 firmware update. I did start with an OS9 install (originally 9.0.4) from the Cube CDs. I did get that ATI Accelerator problem, but the hardware check CD said I don't have any hardware problems.

One thing I did noitce after I originally typed this post up was that I got through to a full boot and was about 10 seconds into playing around in Aqua when I closed a window the window "reappeared" smaller and with a hazy font, and the system "locked up". It seems to be a VidCard issue, but I'm not sure if it's a bad card or just a bad install.
i have a rage pro card for cheap.
20$ free shipping =/

bbrowne74  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2003, 05:08 PM

Well I decided to do a clean isntall. It went through and did its thing, but now when it asks for CD2 and I insert, it freezes when it's at the preparing part of the install process on CD2.

I've swapped out and exchanged RAM ikn and out to make sure it wasn't a bad DIMM, but now I'm perpelexed.....Video? MB?

The Hardware Test CD on extended test turned up no problems. the only thing that was a problem was the Airport card slot with some bent prongs that the seller is going to take care of.

Well, as I type this it was booting back in after a CD1 install and it froze on teh OS X Splash screen at teh "starting core services". That's not something that happens regularly - not tat that spot, but randomly.

OS9 isnt' a problem, except when I try to activate the ATI Accelerator Extension. When I run without it it works great!
1G 4GB iPod Nano White
1G 1GB iPod Shuffle

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 25, 2003, 01:08 PM

I ran into a somewhat similar problem with my Jag install on my Cube. It turned out to be scratched install disks. I had another Jag CD set from my new QS which I installed from without any issues.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Forum Links
Forum Rules