Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger: Things you wished Apple had fixed but didn't

Tiger: Things you wished Apple had fixed but didn't
Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 04:25 PM

This isn't a thread about new bugs, but rather old bugs, defective apps and features that weren't fixed or improved from earlier versions.

For me:

1) iPhoto library sharing between users on the same computer via a simple option in Preferences. Instead, the iPhoto library has to be moved to the shared users folder manually and the permissions have to be set manually. Actually, this is more an iPhoto issue than a OS issue, but I'll leave it here.

2) iChat <-> MSN Messenger compatibility for audio/video chat [unlikely because of Microsoft, but would've been nice to have. Jabber's MSN support is half-baked and Apple's implementation of it is poor].

3) Finder icon spacing. Still to far apart for my liking.

4) Address Book contacts importing [if this article is to be believed because I have tested this yet myself].article
( Last edited by Spliff; Apr 26, 2005 at 05:13 PM. )

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 04:55 PM

finder FTP support.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 26, 2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff
2) iChat <-> MSN Messenger compatibility for audio/video chat [unlikely because of Microsoft, but would've been nice to have. Jabber's MSN support is half-baked and Apple's implementation of it is poor].
Well can iChat connect to the other networks like Audium? I don't care about the video stuff.
3) Finder icon spacing. Still to far apart for my liking.
I agree.
Originally Posted by zerostar
finder FTP support.
That too.

And the whole stripes/not sticking with a consistent GUI thing.

I am sure I can think of more though.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Apr 26, 2005, 05:23 PM

I wish Apple would bring back the older finder of OS 9.X to I don't have to navigate folders like the windows POS I have at work.

There's something frustrating about having to open two finder windows in order for me sometimes move something in a subdirectory back to a higher subdirectory. Yes, you can argue that I could use that other viewing method, but it's just not the same as the old Finder.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Krypton
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 05:34 PM

finder FTP support.
Is it really that hard to download one of the excellent free clients like CyberDuck?

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 05:39 PM

Anacron as opposed to cron.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2005, 05:42 PM

I wish the box was a different colour

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2005, 06:23 PM

Some of the things I would have liked to see improved:

�Scroll bars in the �Finder�. They still are showing up in windows that don't need them.
�Metal windows coming back after setting them as normal.
�Font blurring. It got slightly better in Tiger but not enough.
�Spring-loaded folders in the Dock.
�Labels.
�Still no way to set a global preference for �Finder� windows, i.e. List View sorted by Date with 10pt. text and yellow background. Setting View Preferences and clicking �All Windows� don't really affect all windows as one might expect.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 06:34 PM

/me looks at his top 3 list:

1) Scalable GUI: check...kinda (disabled by default and rather unpolished)
2) Remote GUI access: nope, ARD doesn't count
3) Assorted Speed Improvements: check...mostly (Q2DX off by default)

Basically it looks like I wish they'd just finish the projects they have going

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 26, 2005, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Krypton
Is it really that hard to download one of the excellent free clients like CyberDuck?
It would be cool to have my FTP directory at work mounted like a server to copy back and fourth from home.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2005, 07:12 PM

Something I noticed.. By the time 10.3.9 came along (which i had installed for not even a week) Apple had really sorted out the fan thing nicely on my G5 and powerbook.. And now in 10.4, its all gone a bit on the noisy side again.
I'd guess 10.3.9 and 10.4 were developed very much separately.. So heres wishing a little of 10.3.9 makes it into 10.4.1
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Apr 26, 2005, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I wish the box was a different colour
Seconded. I got a nice black t-shirt with the purchase of Panther, but then the other day saw a guy in a white one with the old blue X, and thought that would be somehow cooler .

Other than that, all the usual: finder icon spacing, global window settings, dock spring-loaded folders, correct handling of window sizes (particularly cutting off the bottom) when show info is on, the recently discovered clipping of text on dock titles, inconsistent GUI, inconsistent GUI and inconsistent GUI ... that should about do it.

Oh, I would also prefer not to have to wait another two days.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Krypton
Is it really that hard to include a functional FTP client in the finder? This isn't some strange request... FTP is a pretty basic protocol and can be implemented properly in a few KB of code.

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff
4) Address Book contacts importing [if this article is to be believed because I have tested this yet myself].article
Jesus, he has a whole site for bashing Mac OS X? I thought his Winsupersite got him enough space for his Mac bashing.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 03:55 AM

Is it really that hard to include a functional FTP client in the finder? This isn't some strange request... FTP is a pretty basic protocol and can be implemented properly in a few KB of code.
The problem has been discussed over and over again, and FTP doesn't have support for basic things that file systems have - file locking and so on.

If Apple should support full FTP capabilities I would prefer both upload and download to be handled by Safari (or a separate app) instead of the Finder.
JLL

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2005, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by kentuckyfried
I wish Apple would bring back the older finder of OS 9.X to I don't have to navigate folders like the windows POS I have at work.

There's something frustrating about having to open two finder windows in order for me sometimes move something in a subdirectory back to a higher subdirectory. Yes, you can argue that I could use that other viewing method, but it's just not the same as the old Finder.
I understand that you miss the spatial Finder - that omission has been discussed to death here and elsewhere. But I do not understand your point about having to have two windows open to move something from a sub-folder to a parent folder. You still had to have two windows open to accomplish that type of move in OS 9 - the sub-folder and the parent folder. The process is actually no different in OS X.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2005, 03:59 AM

iCal data entry is still weird. In month view, if I double click on a date, and then click on the info window, the title in the info window changes to include the time of the entry... Very weird.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 04:23 AM

Up-to-date Finder.
I hate it when I look at a files listing saying "last changed Today, 8:32" when that actually was yesterday, only the Finder hasn't noticed yet.
( Last edited by workerbee; Apr 27, 2005 at 04:23 AM. Reason: spell checking)
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 04:40 AM

One of my users sees the iCal info window as an inspector window - the other user sees it as a drawer. There's no preference to set this, so how the hell has this happened ?

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
One of my users sees the iCal info window as an inspector window - the other user sees it as a drawer. There's no preference to set this, so how the hell has this happened ?
Window -> Detach/Attach Info
JLL

gregpins
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 05:27 PM

Contextual menu support in the sidebar. Can't be that hard, can it?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 06:47 PM

Nah, just type "ftp server" from a terminal window. Works great, and been there for 10+ years!

bmuki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 08:59 PM

Like the original poster, I also wish for a "family library" option in iPhoto and iTunes. Also, somebody else wished for remote access (Aqua level, not ssh). I'd like that too.

But more so, I have a dual processor sytem with two monitors. I think adding N monitors, N keyboards, and N mice should allow a family of N to invidividually use the system. Fast User Switching shows that the ability to run N GUI's simultaneously "should be" a simple feature to add.

klinux
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by JLL
Jesus, he has a whole site for bashing Mac OS X? I thought his Winsupersite got him enough space for his Mac bashing.
So you do not have a problem with the fact that there is a potential bug with Address Book but that he has a site where he explains the problem? What do you expect him to do, put up flyers around the neighborhood?

I, for one, am glad that he is looking and using Tiger.
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 12:38 AM

FTP isn't a secure protocol. It should go the way of the dinosaur (and Telnet).

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2005, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by nickm
FTP isn't a secure protocol. It should go the way of the dinosaur (and Telnet).
Very true, so how about sftp support in Finder?
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 01:14 AM

Something I noticed right away was that they now have a birthday calendar in iCal that automatically takes all the birthday data from contacts in Address Book and adds them to a special calendar in iCal. This is great I thought, until I realized that there is no obvious way to set alarms for the birthdays. This makes the calendar just as useless as not having it at all. Who wants a calendar of all their assiociates/friends/families/etc birthdays when it won't even remind you of the dates.

I realize that this is not a major issue as I've always just used one of the many freeware apps to automate the process, but this is just so completely useless that I can't see why the time was wasted implementing the feature at all.

BTW, If I'm just overlooking something simple, and there is a way to have iCal send me a reminder email or pop-up message or something like that for the "Birthday's" calendar, please let me know.
--Laurence

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2005, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by klinux
So you do not have a problem with the fact that there is a potential bug with Address Book but that he has a site where he explains the problem?
Did I say that? I just reflected on Thurrot having more than one site for his uneducated Mac "reporting".

Sorry to have stepped on your toes
JLL

lupin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 07:09 AM

You still can't tab through the itunes dialog for deleting files. You have to use the mouse to confirm the deletion of files.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 28, 2005, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by JLL
Did I say that? I just reflected on Thurrot having more than one site for his uneducated Mac "reporting".
Yeah I can't believe he has a site dedicated to the Mac.

leethomson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 11:25 AM

Do the birthday entries in Address Book now conform to whatever is set in System Preferences?

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 12:01 PM

I think Thurrot's site is really good. It is very informative and it is quite objective. I certainly enjoy the informed opinion of a non-RDF guy a lot more than the usual Apple PR-induced journalism so common nowadays.

OreoCookie
Apr 28, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by mAxximo
I think Thurrot's site is really good. It is very informative and it is quite objective. I certainly enjoy the informed opinion of a non-RDF guy a lot more than the usual Apple PR-induced journalism so common nowadays.
You haven't read his previous reviews of the other OS X versions, have you?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 12:35 PM

No, I haven't...
They were too Apple PR-ish?

OreoCookie
Apr 28, 2005, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by leethomson
Do the birthday entries in Address Book now conform to whatever is set in System Preferences?
Works fine in German. What language/date format do you use?

OreoCookie
Apr 28, 2005, 12:43 PM

No, I haven't...
They were too Apple PR-ish?
No, on the contrary. It read like a Microsoft brochure. He claimed Apple stole MS' idea of Aero (Aqua is a rip-off of Aero). (Even the code name MS uses is a rip off ) He made lots of false claims in the past and his posts about the topic have been little more than anti-Apple drool.

Even in the last review of Tiger, he made some unsubstantiated claims, such as `in the windows world, Tiger would be a service pack (= big update for free).' Which is incorrect if you look at MS' past.

I found his old reviews (last time, they didn't load).

Puma = 10.1
Jagwyre = 10.2
Panther = 10.3

Note that his articles have been revised due to (justified) criticism.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Apr 28, 2005 at 12:50 PM. )

OreoCookie
Apr 28, 2005, 12:52 PM

I just noticed that his revised reviews are not anywhere near what he wrote before. I would advise you to search the forums instead.

leethomson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Works fine in German. What language/date format do you use?
I'm in the UK, so today would be 28/04/2005, and this is what I've set in System Preferences. Oddly, in previous versions this would work, because there can't be a twenty-eighth month, but 06/05/1953 would always get wrongly converted to the fifth of June, which would result in my Mum never speaking to me again.

OreoCookie
Apr 28, 2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by leethomson
I'm in the UK, so today would be 28/04/2005, and this is what I've set in System Preferences. Oddly, in previous versions this would work, because there can't be a twenty-eighth month, but 06/05/1953 would always get wrongly converted to the fifth of June, which would result in my Mum never speaking to me again.
Could you please double-check if the date format is also UK?

If it is not, it's a slip-up by a loc engineer. It works fine in German (also using / instead of ., 2/4/81 is correctly interpreted as April 2nd, 1981).

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2005, 12:22 PM

I can't believe that this fscking bug is STILL there after all this time - with column view, the first window opened on log-in defaults back to the Apple defined column width instead of the user defined one... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Out of all the minor bugs, this is the one that truly irritates the fscking **** out of me.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by JKT
I can't believe that this fscking bug is STILL there after all this time - with column view, the first window opened on log-in defaults back to the Apple defined column width instead of the user defined one... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Out of all the minor bugs, this is the one that truly irritates the fscking **** out of me.
You must be kidding.

That bug is still there???

For the love of God, somebody roast the bloody hell out of it darnit!!!

[Yes, I should drink less coffee.]

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 02:12 PM

Pop up folders is all I want. Is that so much to ask?!!!

Why hasn't some third party taken this on?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 29, 2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by workerbee
Up-to-date Finder.
I hate it when I look at a files listing saying "last changed Today, 8:32" when that actually was yesterday, only the Finder hasn't noticed yet.
Also, when the file info below the drive icon says it's 25 GB, when it's actually 20 GB cuz you deleted some files.

This is BASIC functionality which has never worked properly, and it still doesn't in Tiger. WTF?

Originally Posted by JKT

Same here. This is BASIC functionality. Why does Apple and their neglect the Finder? I love Dashboard, but I'd give up Dashboard for 6 months if they would only fix the stupid little Finder bugs which have been with us for just about forever. The config menus for the Finder could be improved too. If you specify "All Windows", then make the changes to All Windows dammit.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Apr 29, 2005 at 02:23 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Why does Apple and their neglect the Finder? I love Dashboard, but I'd give up Dashboard for 6 months if they would only fix the stupid little Finder bugs which have been with us for just about forever. The config menus for the Finder could be improved too. If you specify "All Windows", then make the changes to All Windows dammit.
I couldn't agree more.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 02:47 PM

However, they did fix one thing that used to piss me off to no end. Now, thumbnail generation in the Finder's Icon View is lightening fast. It used to take just about forever in 10.3, if you had large images (and my smallest camera pix these days are 5 Megapixels).

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 02:53 PM

However, they did fix one thing that used to piss me off to no end. Now, thumbnail generation in the Finder's Icon View is lightening fast. It used to take just about forever in 10.3, if you had large images (and my smallest camera pix these days are 5 Megapixels).
Ya it is really fast now.

Also in 10.3 it used to stop dead for no reason ALL THE TIME!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Ya it is really fast now.

Also in 10.3 it used to stop dead for no reason ALL THE TIME!
Yup. If you left it long enough it'd start up again (assuming the icons were in view of the Finder window), but it often be after 30 seconds or something.

Every second Friday morning I take maybe 40 five mp images, to present a conference that day at noon. It'd be 20 minutes before the presentation and just to get an icon view of the pix I took, it'd eat up 3 minutes of my precious preparation time. I eventually just switched to using iPhoto, since the slow iPhoto was ultimately much faster.

Now it takes something like 1 second in the Finder.

It's great to have this fixed in Tiger, but it's just disappointing it took 5 years to fix this problem.

Adolf W. Bush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 03:05 PM

For me, networking is just ****ed. None of my computers on the network show up in Finder. I have to manually connect to them.

Very annoying.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 03:07 PM

Thurrot is a fool.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 03:09 PM

I can't wait to install.

Forum Links
Forum Rules