Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Microsoft "copies" Delicious Library in Longhorn

Microsoft "copies" Delicious Library in Longhorn (Page 2)
euphras
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 05:24 AM

They tilted the file folder icons. Now that�s what i call Inovation.

Seriously, who puts folders like this on his desk??

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

undotwa
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
As long as we're hanging on nit-picky little details here, you used the word "based" in the past tense when it should have been in the present tense.
Actually you are wrong.

Perfect passive participles in English can be used as adjectives.

As well, strictly speaking the tense used is actually more correct. The tense used was the Present Perfect, that is a completed action that has ramifications in the present. When perfect passive participles are used in English their tense is not limited to the past.
In vino veritas.

RIRedinPA
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by DarwinX
Uggggh! Not to mention, have you seen the latest screen grabs of Longhorn. I was just viewing this slideshow today. Can it really be that ugly? Am I just picky?
Consider your basic Mac user - designer, film producer, writer, artist, etc. Put an ugly GUI out there for this target audience and they'll rip you to shreds.

Consider your basic PC user - everyone else, anything more elaborate than the front page of USAToday style GUI and you'll lose them.

DarwinX
Apr 27, 2005, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by RIRedinPA
Consider your basic Mac user - designer, film producer, writer, artist, etc. Put an ugly GUI out there for this target audience and they'll rip you to shreds.

Consider your basic PC user - everyone else, anything more elaborate than the front page of USAToday style GUI and you'll lose them.

drdocument
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
Apple Copies Ideas From Microsoft

Mac fanatics enjoy ranting about how Microsoft copies ideas from Apple and about how Apple is the "innovation department" for Microsoft. They are correct in saying that Microsoft copies ideas from Apple. However, the reverse is also true: Apple copies ideas from Microsoft. It is a 2-way street. Here are some examples:

Let's hear it for competition! That's why capitalism and free enterprise is a good thing!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2005, 10:37 AM

"Apple noticed how well the .DLL (Dynamic Link Library) idea worked in Windoze so they copied the idea and produced their own version of it called a "Shared Library"."

How well DLL's work? Is that a joke?

Also didn't MS copy the "dock/taskbar" from Next?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by undotwa
Actually you are wrong.

Perfect passive participles in English can be used as adjectives.

As well, strictly speaking the tense used is actually more correct. The tense used was the Present Perfect, that is a completed action that has ramifications in the present. When perfect passive participles are used in English their tense is not limited to the past.
Okay, here we go again. Here's the original sentence:

However, when you try to obfuscate and misrepesent (RTF = open) and then based your opinion on that ("Don't be stupid") - don't get mad at those who choose to be correct and stand their ground.
First, WTF? That's not the Present Perfect. If it were, there would have to be "has" or "have" in front of it. I think you need to reread the definition of the Present Perfect.

Second, the sentence is clearly meant to be a parallel construction. If you diagram it, you'll find that the subject of this subordinate clause is the pronoun "you", and that the verb consists of both "try" and "based" joined by the conjunction "and." "Try" is in the present tense, and "based" is in the past tense. Even if "based" were in the Present Perfect, it would still be a nonparallel construction, and therefore wrong, since "try" is in the present tense.

But enough fourth-grade grammar lessons; back to the original topic. I was only trying to be silly, after all.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

klinux
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 02:40 PM

But don't get mad at me for choosing to be correct and standing my ground!
Ha, you are 100% right. I did not even see the second instance where I used "based". I stand corrected.
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2005, 02:50 AM

First, WTF? That's not the Present Perfect. If it were, there would have to be "has" or "have" in front of it. I think you need to reread the definition of the Present Perfect.

Second, the sentence is clearly meant to be a parallel construction. If you diagram it, you'll find that the subject of this subordinate clause is the pronoun "you", and that the verb consists of both "try" and "based" joined by the conjunction "and." "Try" is in the present tense, and "based" is in the past tense. Even if "based" were in the Present Perfect, it would still be a nonparallel construction, and therefore wrong, since "try" is in the present tense.

But enough fourth-grade grammar lessons; back to the original topic. I was only trying to be silly, after all.
Is that the sentence you were referring to? I thought you were referring to a different one. I didn't read the whole post, I thought you were referring to the first sentence in which based is also used:

Here is the sentence thought you referred to:

Originally Posted by klinux
Yeah, Linux, BSD, Solaris, OS X - all UNIX based, what's the difference?

In that sentence, based is a perfect passive participle.

Yes, you are right that in the sentence you referred to the simple present would be more correct. However, my mention of perfect passive participles should have hinted to you that I was referring to a different word! id est: 'Based' in context of the first sentence.

However, the second clause is not subordinate, it is coordinate. 'And' is a coordinating conjunction. An example of a subordinate clause would be "I killed my father when I was a lad". It is not grammatically wrong that Klinux used the past tense in the second clause because the clause is coordinating. However, semantically it makes little sense. (With the adverb 'then' the same tense would be expected).
( Last edited by undotwa; Apr 28, 2005 at 02:57 AM. )
In vino veritas.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 02:58 AM

Since I specifically quoted the sentence I was referring to, you have no excuse.

I hereby publicly apologize for apparently derailing this thread.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

undotwa
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2005, 03:03 AM

the definition of the Present Perfect.
That definition of the present perfect is fairly limited for passive constructions are not included.

'Christ is risen' for example is a passive present perfect construction.

Tenses in English are highly elastic especially when multiple auxiliary verbs are used!
In vino veritas.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2005, 03:08 AM

Since I specifically quoted the sentence I was referring to, you have no excuse.

I hereby publicly apologize for apparently derailing this thread.
Considering a previous poster posted an image 'UNIX BASED' I wholeheartedly thought you were referring to the first sentence in which klinux was discussing how various operating systems are UNIX based. I jumped to conclusions without reading your post carefully, that is my error . In addition, the dictionary.com definiton of 'based' led me to believe that the reference was to the first sentence. I admit I didn't read the quote in your message.
In vino veritas.

dru
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
But it looks nice
Only to the blind, my young padawan.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

klinux
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 04:27 AM

I too hereby apologize for making the grammatical mistake that caused the causing of the derailing of the thread.
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

FastiBook
Apr 28, 2005, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by DarwinX
Uggggh! Not to mention, have you seen the latest screen grabs of Longhorn. I was just viewing this slideshow today. Can it really be that ugly? Am I just picky?

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewe...o=1&i=1,00.asp
This reminds me of xp theming mated to win 95 icon sets. When will be the day the front page reads "MS a fraud investors paniced". It should have been the IPO listing day!

Fact is better than fiction.

DarwinX
Apr 28, 2005, 09:14 AM

More screen grabs (some are the same)

http://www.flexbeta.net/main/comment...shownews=12884

I also ran across this article which I found humerous:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...led/1114628046

Forum Links
Forum Rules