Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Maxtor ext. FW drive failed - can I re-use the enclosure?

Maxtor ext. FW drive failed - can I re-use the enclosure?
blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2005, 09:45 AM

I have a Maxtor 5000TX...

http://www.cwol.com/firewire-drives/...hard-drive.htm

Which is an external FireWire drive + enclosure bundled from Maxtor with a 250GB drive in it. Well, the drive just failed. Can I swap in another ~250GB ATA drive for the dead one and re-use the enclosure? Can it be a non-Maxtor drive?

Can anyone recommend a decent drive + enclosure bundle? Just using this as my weekly backup volume. Thanks.

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 19, 2005, 10:01 AM

Don't know about Maxtor, but some drive manufacturers have extended warranty on their drives (e.g. Seagate - 5 yrs on some drives). And the 250gig ones haven't been around for sooo long, have they? So maybe there is still some warranty left on the drive.

As for the enclosure, you should be able to put in any drive of the same size factor and has the same connector. Since you only use it for backups, speed isn't everything for you and some slower, less expensive drive would do.
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

itguy05
Forum Regular
May 19, 2005, 10:01 AM

I thought the Maxtor externals still had a 3 year warranty? Maybe send it back? Last time I did a hard drive RMA they took a credit card and sipped immediately. Once you send it back they credit your card the amount of the drive.

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2005, 10:25 AM

Interesting. I have only had it 2 years or so - a little less actually.

The thing is - it hasn't failed yet. This morning I was working on the G5 and then heard this loud whacking noise over and over. It was coming from that drive and I noticed the drive was not mounted on the desktop as it normally is. I powered it down and back up and it did not mount at first but after 5 mins of whacking it got quiet and then mounted. I was able to copy data off of it and Disk Util (...with it's 5 second Verify...) said the drive is OK. But I am not going to use it any more, after that noise. A had an ATA drive do the same thing with that noise weeks before it failed utterly on an old P3 I have across the room.

Will Maxtor replace it even tho it is not "failed" yet?

blakespot

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2005, 11:09 AM

I'd say a loud, whacking noise is pretty much outside of normal operation conditions, so the drive definitely has a problem and you should contact maxtor fopr a solution.

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2005, 07:02 AM

Well, the warrantly was apparently 1 year, so I assume Maxtor will do nothing for me (I've had the drive for two years now).

Right?

blakespot

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2005, 07:45 AM

Probably not, but I don't know your warranty or their way of dealing with these cases.

Anyway, for the harddrive, just get a reliable bare unit and put it into your enclosure. That should be a piece of cake.
You might try Seagate if you want something with extended warranty. Had good experiences with them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules