Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac Pic

New iMac Pic
[email protected]
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2001, 08:51 AM

I was just checking out theregister.co.uk's website and a saw they had an article on what is going to be the new iMac. It worth a read. http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/19486.html
Dont know if it is true. Has some very cool features, but the style just doesnt seem to fit the Apple design ways.

tomatohead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
<STRONG>I was just checking out theregister.co.uk's website and a saw they had an article on what is going to be the new iMac. It worth a read. http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/19486.html
Dont know if it is true. Has some very cool features, but the style just doesnt seem to fit the Apple design ways.</STRONG>
Nifty idea, impossible to deliver for under $1500 though I think. And the design is profoundly uninspiring. There's too much fantasy in this one.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2001, 10:24 AM

Here's the pic in question:

I though it looked pretty bad, until you realise it draws together several rumours:

* large screen iBook - no, those larger screens are for this...
* Tablet computer - the screen detatches, and you can use it remotely...
* rack mounted server - the base unit is basically a rack unit...

The DVD/CD slot and power button on the base unit are on the left. The ports are on the right. turn it 90 degrees and what do you have...a 1U rack unit. hmmm.

Interesting.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2001, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
<STRONG>The DVD/CD slot and power button on the base unit are on the left. The ports are on the right. turn it 90 degrees and what do you have...a 1U rack unit. hmmm.</STRONG>
...which wouldn't fit elegantly in a standard rack unless it was 8.5" or a full 19" wide...neither of which matches the image in question...

...I do wish, though...

-chris.

grok420
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2001, 07:33 PM

This might not be the new iMac, but it might be a Mac.

I hate this design for the iMac. I think all-in-one is incredibly critical to the consumer market. Especially as the asian/euro market gets more important with the US slowdown.

Sadly, this would be EXACTLY the right design for a Mac NC to go along with Apple's renewed fervor for the Education market. Consider the new OS X Server, Apple's confession to wanting to start making 'big iron' Enterprise hardware, and the aformentioned Education market.

I can't help think that the NC beacon still burns very brightly for Apple, since it is, after all, a hardware company.

And it would complete the 6-way product Matrix that Jobs is so proud of, sittingly comfortably across from the Cube.

Gentlemen??
It's wise to know who wrote the music to which we dance.

Mighty Hetfield
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 10:05 PM

I agree with grok. The all in one desigh is the critical part of the iMac, so this could be some other mid market (in between the iMac and G4) to either replace or enhance the Cube.
Other british publications shoed a move believable new version of the iMac, looking basically the same but with a 17 LCD. The extra space would be used to incorporate a subwoofer. Unfortunately I don't have the pic, but it seemed more reasonable than this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules