Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > RAM question

RAM question
Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2006, 06:30 PM

so i just got the money to buy some more ram,and i have a big question. Is ti critical to have matched pairs? i will eventually go up to 2gb, but i dont have the money now. I have enough for 1 gig. I obviously dont want to buy 2X512 becayse then i have to buy 2X1gb when i want 2 gb. can i buy a 1 gig stick and have 1.25gb?.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2006, 07:08 PM

The computer will run fine with unmatched modules. Graphics performance will suffer a bit, but that may be outweighed by having more memory.

I'd go with 1024+256 for now and upgrade to 2GB when you can.

Karpfish  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2006, 07:44 PM

that is what i am doing. it shouldnt be long until i can get the next gig, maybe a week or 2

p0stman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2006, 01:38 AM

I guess the question is always 2 x 512 VS. 1 x 1 gb + 256 mb. I have been looking for the answer to that as well. Unfortunately and surprisingly, no one has done a test with the precise setup mentioned. However, I have a friend doing a masters in computer science and he tells me 1.25 will beat a 1.0 matched in just about every respect.

Also, the forums are really not a good place to ask about something like this, as most posters mix-match information from different sources or basically "guess." For example, most people are aware that having matched pairs bring a small "benefit," but at the same time no one knows exactly how much. So when we take into account that we don't exactly know how much more performance a 256 mb gain is as well, the question of 1 gb matched vs 1.25 unmatched becomes ambiguous. In this case the best decision that can be made is to go with 1.25, since at the very least this offers the option of sensably upgrading to 2 gb later, where the ambiguity ends (hence most people get 2 gb to stop their worrying.)
2.0 GHz White Macbook 2.0 GB RAM 60 GB HD
iPod Nano Black 2 GB
1.5 GHz Powerbook G4 12" 768 MB RAM 60 GB HD (KIA)

Forum Links
Forum Rules