Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Newer Macbook keyboards different?

Newer Macbook keyboards different?
Ouhei
Sep 28, 2006, 09:09 AM

I've had my Macbook for a few months now (about 2) and I've had no issues, I have loved every minute with it.

But I convinced my GF to get a Macbook when she was looking for a new computer, and it came in this week. (She got a 2.0 w/ 80gig, and we're putting 2gigs in it, its going to better than mine, haha)

I've noticed that her keyboard feels much better than mine, it sounds much quieter and feels more solid when typing. While its a small thing really (mine doesn't sound horrible or anything, just feels worse after using hers). Could it be that mine has just worn in a little bit? Or could it really be different? I thought about going to the Apple store and asking them, would they be able to replace my keyboard for me?

I don't want to go through it (my Macbook is my main/only computer, so being without it for anytime would be troublesome) if its really no different. Has anyone else noticed this with the newer Macbooks? I wouldn't have noticed, but using hers then going back to mine I can tell the obvious difference, others can too.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]

p0stman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 10:10 AM

This is interesting... I have owned my Macbook for about a week now, and it has a very quiet keyboard. I had a different 2.0 GHz two weeks ago, which kept shutting off... and it was returned. That one had a loud keyboard with a more pronounced "clicking" sound. If they are indeed new there can't be that large of a time gap in between.
2.0 GHz White Macbook 2.0 GB RAM 60 GB HD
iPod Nano Black 2 GB
1.5 GHz Powerbook G4 12" 768 MB RAM 60 GB HD (KIA)

Ouhei  (op)
Sep 28, 2006, 10:30 AM

Interesting indeed, I would describe the sound of mine as "clicking" too, I might head to the Apple store and talk to them this week.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2006, 11:09 AM

what weeks are they? isnt a clicking noise usually normal for a keyboard?

Ouhei  (op)
Sep 28, 2006, 11:29 AM

My GF's is brand new (ordered online), mine is roughly 2 months old. Clicking noises are normal, but after using hers, mine is much louder, so they seem to have done something.

keithwan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 01:11 PM

That do sound strange, my macbook just over 2 months old, its got a low clicking noice, i think its normal.

Macbook [2.0] [1.25gig] [60gig] [white]
Imac [2.0] [2gig] [250gig]

ChasingApple
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 02:10 PM

My wife has a week 31 macbook and there is no clicking, just a nice soft and quiet pressing action there. It is a joy to type on
iMac G4 / Macbook

quiklee
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 02:27 PM

I'd have to agree with the report . . . i just got my MB back from Memphis last week and noticed the keyboards were very quiet. They replaced my topcase AGAIN for no reason . . . this must of been the reason
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Ouhei  (op)
Sep 28, 2006, 03:08 PM

Well that settles it, I'm going to go and see if they won't replace it.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2006, 03:35 PM

Well, I need to get my brown-stained MB repaired anyway, so I'm guessing I would get this new and improved keyboard with it? Sounds like a good deal to me!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

ChasingApple
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 09:27 PM

Hey any keyboard is bound to be better then the last generation iBooks, those were the worst!
iMac G4 / Macbook


Sep 28, 2006, 10:03 PM

I went and found myself a week 28 MacBook and a week 32 MacBook last week... the week 28 has a subtle clicking sound to the keys. The week 32 didn't really have a clicking sound. When I had an early MacBook I never noticed the noise, since I was mostly in a fairly noisy enviroment.

Edit: That is a lot of weeks
-

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2006, 11:24 PM

I just got my Macbook back from a repair and the keyboard is definitely quieter and the texture of the wristpads feel different.

UltimaLaw
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2006, 12:39 AM

i got mine back from repair and the keyboard is definitely different and the wristpads are much better, they replaced them no doubt.
15" Macbook Pro w/ Retina / 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB DDR3 Memory / 256 GB SSD / Backlit Keyboard / OSX El Capitan
Apple iPhone 6+ / 64GB (Silver) / Wi-Fi and AT&T LTE / Apple iPad 3rd Generation / 64GB Wi-Fi
New Apple TV 32GB / New Touchpad Remote / Netflix and Entire App Store (TWiT, YouTube, WatchESPN, TV Networks, Etc.)
Apple iPad Pro / 12.9" Retina Touchscreen / A9X Chip / 4-Speaker High-Fidelity Sound / Smart Keyboard Pro / Apple Pencil

acoustix
Sep 29, 2006, 01:00 AM

What is the difference between the two kinds of wristpads?

UltimaLaw
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2006, 09:08 AM

for one the new ones dont leave "grease" stains after long use, that was a problem with my last macbook, the keyboard is also less clicky and feels like a more solid material, overall it is worth a send in alone if you are having "grease" marks on your black macbook.
15" Macbook Pro w/ Retina / 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB DDR3 Memory / 256 GB SSD / Backlit Keyboard / OSX El Capitan
Apple iPhone 6+ / 64GB (Silver) / Wi-Fi and AT&T LTE / Apple iPad 3rd Generation / 64GB Wi-Fi
New Apple TV 32GB / New Touchpad Remote / Netflix and Entire App Store (TWiT, YouTube, WatchESPN, TV Networks, Etc.)
Apple iPad Pro / 12.9" Retina Touchscreen / A9X Chip / 4-Speaker High-Fidelity Sound / Smart Keyboard Pro / Apple Pencil

tricha6
Sep 29, 2006, 11:34 AM

Well, I have a week 21 Macbook, and my keyboard is decidely less "clicky" than the white macbooks at the Apple store on Michigan avenue in chicago. It might not be a timing thing, but simply different plants using different parts.

Ouhei  (op)
Sep 29, 2006, 01:26 PM

I'm taking mine in this weekend/next week hopefully. Gonna see how I can do it with the least amount of down time.


Sep 29, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by acoustix
What is the difference between the two kinds of wristpads?
The grain of the plastics. Early were more coarse, and cheaper, the later ones are finer, and more expensive to make ( but not by much).
-

Forum Links
Forum Rules