Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What to do with Powermac Dual 450?

What to do with Powermac Dual 450?
kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2006, 02:46 AM

Hi,

Sad enough I just sold my 12' powerbook. I figure I could use some cash now for other things, and will really start using the macbook pro as a mobile instead of the desktop replacement that it was.

I also was able to get a PM dual 450mhz for $50. It has a 40gb Hard drive and 384mb memory. I was wondering what everyone's take on it would be.

i have offers from people who want to buy it just the way it is for $150. Do you think that I should just sell it?

If I do keep it, it would probably be mainly used by my wife for music and photos, ocassional photoshop, backing up dvd movies. I had an 80gb hard drive lying around so I put that in (120gb HD space now), and I had a 128mb chip which makes it 512mb memory. We don't really play games or anything like that, but I will be wokring on a website, so it may be used to help manage that along with the macbook pro which will be my primary computer now (i am paying for a dedicated server also).

And if I do keep it, the possible upgrades that I would be looking into include:
USB 2.0 Card
possibly more memory
Maybe a better video card

We were also looking to get an imac, and the money from the sale of the powerbook (and the powermac) could help in that, but if the powermac could suffice maybe would look into as few minor upgrades as possible to keep us happy.

So what do you think, keep it or sell it?

Thanks!
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

DrBoar
Senior User
Nov 29, 2006, 04:28 PM

A USB 2 card is a nice addition, adding a graphical card is a waste of money. For 2D work (and most 3D) ir is CPU limited. Use it as it is. OWC sell G4 upgrades in the 1.2 to 1.5GHz they will make everything snappier if you really want to spend 200-300 USD on an upgrade.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2006, 03:01 AM

Upgrade the ram to a gig, and boot the OS off the 80 gig drive instead of the 40 gig drive, assuming it's a faster drive.

Dual 450 G4 still useful!

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2006, 08:42 AM

Hi,

It's a tough decision, because there are a few people who want to buy it for the $150 also.

so with the original $50 for the machine, an usb 2.0 card for $20, and 1gb memory for probably around $100, is this still a good deal for $170, or should I just move on?

I'm not sure how intensive my needs are, but with the money that we got back/made with the powerbook, we could go towards a mini or imac.

What do you think?
Thanks!
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

Madrag
Senior User
Nov 30, 2006, 11:27 AM

just look at them offering you 3x what you already payed, that means that the machine is usefull!

I still have a Powermac G4 400! (not a dual), my wife uses it for photoshop CS2, freehand, etc.
Slower than a DP G5, but still does the job!
Keep it, upgrade it and use it.
If you plan to do really serious work, then, maybe sell it and with that money, buy a macPro...
If you can, just keep it, if you use it well, it will pay for the next mac you'll need...

I have six macs, and won't sell any, and the PM G5 DP, bought one and half years ago, has allowed me to earn enough money to buy several new macs if I wanted. GOLDMINE!
apple does make good computers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules