Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which upgrade is better for the Pismo?

Which upgrade is better for the Pismo?
wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2006, 08:39 PM

Thinking about upgrading my PB g3 Pismo and came across some choices found on

http://www.everymac.com/upgrade_card...erbook_g3.html

Any advise on this upgade http://www.everymac.com/upgrade_card...ip_g3_1.0.html

or this one http://www.everymac.com/upgrade_card...550_pismo.html
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2006, 08:57 PM

unless really cheap, i think Pismo CPU upgrades are a waste of money nowadays.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 17, 2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by wubrew View Post
Thinking about upgrading my PB g3 Pismo and came across some choices
The Powerlogix 900 mhz and 1ghz G3 upgrades ran very hot and were plagued by long delays. AFAIK they are no longer available, except perhaps used units on eBay.

The two available G4 550 mhz upgrades that usually get positive reviews are the Daystar and Fastmac upgrades.

You can read multiple user experiences with these upgrades at xlr8yourmac

One difference to note is that the Daystar upgrade requires you to ship your PowerBook to them. With the Fastmac upgrade you can send just your processor card.

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2006, 10:40 PM

Thank you rjt1000. I am a sucker for the love of my "Pismo" EdipisReks ( Oedipus Rex! ) . With that kind of SN you should know better. "til dead do us part". Still have all the mac from SE on in my attic. Each on its own pedastal . Will make a good 'mac Halloween' . Putting in my PDA " invite OR 2007 holloween". Don't touch those EYEBALLS

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2006, 11:46 PM

Thank you rjt1000. I am a sucker for the love of my "Pismo" EdipisReks ( Oedipus Rex! ) .
hehe, well, in that case i would look for a G4 upgrade over a G3. the higher clock rate G3s are faster in absolute terms, but the altivec engine on the G4 will probably give you a bit more longevity.
16 GB iPhone

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2006, 04:36 AM

Thank you EdipisReks. I hate to throw things away that served me well. G4 it is ! May be a used Titanium for <$300.
Cheers
Don't you touch those EYEBALLS bro.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 03:50 PM

Thank you EdipisReks. I hate to throw things away that served me well. G4 it is ! May be a used Titanium for <$300.
Cheers

Keep Pismo as a Digital Picturre frame..... they sell for up to $500. and you have everything you need!

Use in Kitchen to keep receipes,
Keep it for guests to use to get internet and not mess up your personal computer, etc.....

Abit667
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2006, 04:34 PM

I think the G3 900 or 1Ghz is a much better path, they are way faster then the G4s, even lacking altivec.

Plus, if you're just using it for basic tasks it will feel much faster with the quicker G3 than the G4, as unless you're doing altivec stuff the G3 and G4 are pretty much comparable and the G3 is clocked twice as high as the G4.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2006, 06:57 PM

I'm thinking of getting the wegenermedia upgrade. Is that any good? It's only $200, but I'd rather pay more for something that'll last longer.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2006, 12:24 AM

16 GB iPhone

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2006, 10:48 AM

The 1GHz G3 upgrades do not exist. They were never sold. The 900MHz G3s are not as reliable as the G4 550s based on surveys at XLR8YourMac.com.

I recently replaced by Pismo with a 1.83 CD MBP. I don't think I can ever go back!

Just sell the Pismo and bend over and buy a new MB or MBP. You won't regret it (except for battery life).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2006, 02:05 PM

Hi,

While i agree that you shouldn't put too much money into your pismo, I think it's definitely worth keeping if you can. I actually just went back to one, and I don't think I will sell this one after having 4 over the past couple of years. I had a 12" powerbook that i loved before I picked up the pismo, but sold it. I was always concerned with getting dents or marks on the nice casing, and finally ended up getting a slight dent. I was happy to make some money on it and was able to get my current pismo for a decent price (I think) for a little more than $300.

The one reason why I always sold the pismo was that for the internet, which along with other basic uses was it's main purpose, it was usually a little slow in loading pages. But I don't know if it is because of the g4 that's in there now, the pages seem to open up so much faster than the 500mhz g3 pismos I used to have.

And for the other basic uses, a g3 was decent enough, but the g4 seems even better.

So now I'm back to the machine that in terms of practicality for a laptop, is unbeatable. 2 batteries that can give up to 7-8 hours of battery life (even more if you use new batteries), great wireless range, great durability, easily upgradeable and self-serviceable, and truly one of the best looking and feeling laptops ever, make the pismo a keeper for me. If you feel the same way, maybe the $200+ that you will put in, which may seem to be quite a bit for others, will be fine for you as you will be enjoying a machine that has been so highly revered and no longer made. But only you can decide that.

Other than that, I am so happy with my "new" pismo. I'm typing away on it like there is no tomorrow. And while I have liked all the other apple laptops that I have had, I don't think anything is in the same league as the pismo for the qualities that I mentioned.

Good Luck!
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2006, 03:12 AM

Touch'e mon ami. Bien dit et bien present'e. Please no flammer. I am no francophile. Just seems appropriate to spice up the response to kmarketing heart felt opinion.

tigas
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2006, 10:26 PM

Going to 1GB of RAM is almost useless without a G4. The G4/550 feels a lot faster because it has a very quick cache, offsetting the very s-l-o-w SDRAM of a Pismo.

Now, how about sticking a 5400 or even a 7200 rpm drive... The first thing I did was upgrade the disk from the 4200/20GB original to a 5400/40GB and the Pismo got a HUGE kick in the pants! A lot more than the G4/500 gave me later.
My Mac is a Pismo G4/550: 1GB RAM, 40GB 5.4k, Airport, DVD-R, and still black, silent and curvaceous!

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2006, 12:32 AM

Which upgradecard do you have in your beloved tigas?

skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 01:30 PM

I had a PISMO but upgraded many years ago. I now have a MBP.

Here is why you need to upgrade to a MBP.

PROS

1 - At least 20 X faster
2- Larger and brighter Screen
3- SATA hard drive
4- Hold more RAM (faster RAM that is)
5- You can run Tiger and use all it features.
6- Better keyboard
7- Faster Wireless
8- Backlit keyboard
9- Mag safe
10- Sudden motion sensor
11- You can run both OS X and XP
12- Super Drive
13- Better screen hinge
14- Much cooler looking
15- Bluetooth ( which I dont use)
16- iPhoto (way toooo slow on my PISMO)

CONS

1- MBP runs hotter (Core2 Duo is much cooler)
2- Hard drive is a bitch to replace
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2006, 05:50 PM

I agree with you. All 18 of them. I can sure add some more to it. I am just coddling up to the PB that has served me well even at its waning days. Everybody will be switching to MP, and so will I. Just want to tuck my Pismo away, when time comes, with the best that technology has to offer. I have another thread that reflect this sentiment if you are interested.
http://forums.macnn.com/69/powerbook...nt-and-future/

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 27, 2006, 06:23 PM

You don't have to retire your Pismo, even when you decide to upgrade. I have a G4 12 inch 1.33 ghz PB and a G3 500mhz Pismo. I use them both on a nearly daily basis.

While I am working on the G4, I can play iTunes on the Pismo or leave it logged onto Skype. And I also like the Pismo, with its easy on the eyes 14 inch screen, for casual web surfing.

So if you are fond of your Pismo, and have the $$$ to spend, go for the upgrade, and enjoy.

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2006, 07:43 PM

I think we'll all agree that the pismo is not as powerful than the latest machines. What would be great is to have a pismo as a backup or second machine, and in that way, I think few apple laptops can match what the pismo can offer. Its' great to work on the pismo for basic uses, and then have a more powerful system for bigger uses.

And with the pismo, besides the rugged design, good ergonomics, great battery life, and wonderful wireless reception, you don't have to worry taking the thing out in public. Those features alone make the pismo quite invaluable.
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 27, 2006, 08:43 PM

Charles Moore who writes the excellent Roadwarrior column at MacOpinion reviewed the Daystar and Fastmac G4 upgrades for the Pismo a couple of years ago. The Roadwarrior archive was fried in a hard drive crash but the links are now available at web.archive.org. Here are the links for the two columns that may be of interest. (Note that the prices quoted have fallen and that only the 550 mhz G4 upgrades are still available.)

MacOPINION : Charles Moore | Daystar MACHSpeed G4 Pismo Upgrade Review
MacOPINION : Charles Moore | What�s On Your PowerBook? - And Another 550 MHz G4 Pismo Upgrade

VetPsychWars
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2006, 12:59 PM

I put a Fastmac G4, 1GB RAM, and a 7200rpm drive into my Pismo. It's surprising how useable it is if you do things that don't need a lot of raw power. If I have to convert a lot of video, I queue it up and go to bed. Otherwise, for email, websurfing, watching DVDs, and word processing, it works very well.

While I would love to have a MacBook Pro, I can't justify the cost when the Pismo does everything I need it to do for a casual use home computer. If I was editing audio or video or playing games, it wouldn't be enough, but for the above use it works surprisingly well.

Tom

tigas
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2006, 10:39 AM

Which upgradecard do you have in your beloved tigas?
FastMac, 'cause I'm from Europe and having to ship a whole machine would be murder in customs fees. I got a replacement CPU card while my original G3/400 CPU card went for some nip/tuck, and when it came back I sent an About this Mac screenshot to every macuser I knew!
My Mac is a Pismo G4/550: 1GB RAM, 40GB 5.4k, Airport, DVD-R, and still black, silent and curvaceous!

datkinso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 07:13 PM

I have the 7200 rpm drive and 1 GB RAM in my pismo. It is still quite useable. In fact I am using it right now as my month old 17" 2.33 mHz C2D MacBook Pro is having its logic board replaced...

I would strongly recommend the 550 mHz G4. The newer iLife packages won't run on a G3.

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2007, 12:19 AM

Already replacing the logic box and only 1 month old! Whao, must be an isolated "Lemon" sit. I am sorry. Just great to have a back up. Too bad I can not upgrade the "brick". How was the winter up there so far?

daystartech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2007, 07:42 AM

Thinking about upgrading my PB g3 Pismo...
Hi wubrew,
I was wondering, did you ever upgrade? Which one... and how is it working out?
Gary Dailey
Daystar Technology
Mac CPU Upgrades, Mac Video Capture, Apple Authorized Sales and Service

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2007, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by daystartech View Post
I was wondering, did you ever upgrade? Which one... and how is it working out?
Gary

I hope you are not disappointed. Right after i started looking at the upgrade options, I came across a WTS ad on craigslist for a 15" PB G4 1.67, HR version without a functioning optical drive, asking $650. I figure for $150 more I can have another PB. I did get it and now the Pismo is fuctioning as a back up PB. I might still go for an upgrade if I can find a reasonably priced G4 card. Thanks for your interest.
Finding a replacement OD for the 15" HR/DL last rev PB was a @#$$@#$. Apparently all previous 15" PB are with 2 master connection to the mobo. With the last rev ,the HR 15" PB apple decided to make the OD the slave and the HD the master. I got the OD from OWC and they did not realize the master slave issue with th HR PB until much frustration later. Now if you get the OD from them for the last rev PB 15" or 17" they will set the OD to slave mode.
So much for an answer to a yes/no quection. Cheers.

daystartech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 07:57 AM

wubrew,

Thanks for the note. When you get ready to upgrade give me a shout. The Pismo upgrade prices are held high, due the cost of the primary component (the CPU). When the cost from Freescale drops, the upgrade price will as well.

You can also pull your CPU card and send it in direct to save come cash.

Just look closely when/if you do decide to make the jump. Some manufacturers will use "reclaimed" parts and/or lower speed caches in order to cut costs. At Daystar though, we are stuck. With the commitment to quality, we have strict requirements on the components. The price is higher, but the product is solid. We also include our MAChSpeed Control Software, some additional thermal helpers, and an exclusive power adjustment for lower drain, and lower temp.
Gary Dailey
Daystar Technology
Mac CPU Upgrades, Mac Video Capture, Apple Authorized Sales and Service

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2007, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by daystartech View Post
wubrew,

Thanks for the note. When you get ready to upgrade give me a shout. The Pismo upgrade prices are held high, due the cost of the primary component (the CPU). When the cost from Freescale drops, the upgrade price will as well.

You can also pull your CPU card and send it in direct to save come cash.

Just look closely when/if you do decide to make the jump. Some manufacturers will use "reclaimed" parts and/or lower speed caches in order to cut costs. At Daystar though, we are stuck. With the commitment to quality, we have strict requirements on the components. The price is higher, but the product is solid. We also include our MAChSpeed Control Software, some additional thermal helpers, and an exclusive power adjustment for lower drain, and lower temp.
I took the plunge for my Pismo with the Daystar replacement! Now all I need is a 7200 rpm HDD.

rjt1000
Senior User
May 21, 2007, 04:38 PM

I took the plunge for my Pismo with the Daystar replacement! Now all I need is a 7200 rpm HDD.
Can you tell us your experience? Has the improved performance been worth the cost?

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by rjt1000 View Post
Can you tell us your experience? Has the improved performance been worth the cost?
rjt,
I am choosing the upgrading my own CPU+heat shield option.I thought they will send me a special pouch, just found out, today, I need to send in myself. This seems to be the most economical option @ $249+ S+H.
XLR8 550 MAChSpeed G4 PISMO CPU Upgrade Kit

Forum Links
Forum Rules