Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cant open files w/ names >31 on Win Share

Cant open files w/ names >31 on Win Share
Ernie
Oct 22, 2001, 04:11 PM

I work in a mixed Mac / Win environment. I was looking forward to OS X's ability to use files w/ names >31 characters.

However, if I mount a Win share on my OS X 10.1 system, any files or directories on the share with names > 31 characters 'dissappear' when I try to click on them and open.

On Win share, create directory or file w/ name >31 characters.
Mount share on OS X
Notice the files/directories that have file names longer than 31 characters have no icons.
Clicking on the file to open it causes it to 'dissappear' from the directory.
You are prevented from opening these files.

It's not fun having to go around asking Win users to rename their long file names to less than 31 characters so I can see them on Mac OS X...

Anyone else see this?

Thanks,

SWGS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2001, 09:21 PM

I believe i can shed some light on this one. i doubt it will suprise many people.

OS X supports 255 character file names in unicode. and that rocks my socks off, and to sweeten the deal thats not even including the path information. Then there is windows, that supports 255 characters in a proprietary format, and that includes the path information. but the key shitty thing is that its in a proprietary format, so that means that OS X cant read it. So its useless that windows supports 255 character file names to the rest of the OS world.

SWGS
SWGS

mattmarshall
Senior User
Oct 22, 2001, 10:52 PM

this might not be a windows/mac thing....

i've got my laptop running 10.1, and my iMac running 9.2. When I connect to my imac via airport, there's this one mp3 i can't transfer--it's got a long filename. when i click on it in the finder in oS X, the file completely disappears. it's still there on the iMac, but my 10.1 machine refuses to recognize it.

don't know if this helps, but maybe there's some problem with X seeing long file names on anything but X.......

-matt

Forum Links
Forum Rules